UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nala has been licking her paw alot recently and making it red. When I've looked closely there is a small cut inside. Am I best leaving it to heal itself or take her to the vet? Not sure they would be able to do anything? I try and get her to stop when I see her licking it as it tends to look painful if she does

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
If I'm wondering if I should go or not, I ring to check. They are in a better position to decide if you should go than a load of people on a forum (I'm including me in that!). Nothing lost by calling them :)

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
Ooh, you live near-ish me! (well, a lot nearer than most PFers :lol: )

If I am not sure, I ring... I'd rather have the vet tell me to come in or leave it a few days than strangers- but sometimes I do ask online too.

Usually when my dogs nick their paws they don't bother about the cut... so maybe there is something gotten in the cut that's bothering her.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
is she limping? is there any blood coming out? can you see anything in the wound?

dogs, being animals, still have incredible in-built senses, they havent been de-brained like humans, they know what to do, dogs saliva is accepted to have healing powers - Langue de chien, langue de médecin - as the french say

i would get her paw into some cooled boiled saline/salty water to help her, if she is no better in a day or two consider a visit to the vet

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd take her to the vet.

Just had a similar thing with Zeph - he was chewing his paw, not like he was in pain, but just irritated. Had a look, saw a small cut... It ended up being a grass seed that had entered his paw and it was working its way up it! :eek: So he had to be sedated and have it removed, poor boy. Now he has a massively bandaged leg and I'm so glad I took him.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Nala has been licking her paw alot recently and making it red. When I've looked closely there is a small cut inside. Am I best leaving it to heal itself or take her to the vet? Not sure they would be able to do anything? I try and get her to stop when I see her licking it as it tends to look painful if she does
Does she go where theres grass? Could be a grass seed, they are barbed and once entered and disappear they can migrate further. If shes just worrying at one paw that may be the cause. Trouble also is even if it just a minor cut the licking and gnawing at it can make it bigger and sore and even infect it.

You could try, bathing it in cooled boiled water with salt in it to make a saline solution about 3 times a day, dry it and make sure its throughly dry especially after walks an being outside and then but something on it like a baby cotton sock and tape it with micropore tape if she will leave it alone. Make sure the micropore tape is not too tight though as the femoral artery runs up the leg and you can cause it too be restricted and stop blood flow. If after a couple of days if it looks better then likely its nothing to worry about but if she starts again, then get it checked out.Obviously if it doesnt look any better then she will also need to go.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I'd take her. Could be something in the cut, grass seed, bit of glass, thorn... they can cause a lot of bother if left in. Even if it is stress-related licking and chewing you need veterinary advice/intervention as early as possible to help prevent it developing into full on lick granuloma.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
I'd take her in case it's a grass seed too, they can be troublesome and migrate from the entry site. I wouldn't stick an open wound into salty water either, sorry, but it'd bloomin hurt. I keep a tube of antiseptic cream for any minor gashes and cuts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.