Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I go through with the operation?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ihannx, Mar 31, 2011.

1. ihannx

ihannx PetForums Newbie

Hi there.
    I'm new to this forum, and i'm really wanting some help about my cat Jess. She's a tortoiseshell and about 9 years old. She got in to a rough fight with a big pitbull dog last night. The dog broke my poor cats ribs and she also has a torn muscel under her stumoch.

She was bleeding a lot last night and we took her to the vets this morning.
    They told us what was wrong but also said she would need to be put on drip over night to get the fluids in her and would have to be operated on to repair the muscel. they also mentioned that its not 100% that she would come out the anistetic. but my thought on this is, don't muscels repair them selfs anyway? they may take some time but is it really worth the risk of loosing her all together? The vets gave her antiflammitry, pain killers, and anti biotics today. She's just sleepy at the moment but has not moved from the bed she's been on all day.

Please help, were not sure about this.. and if you don't no how to help could you refer me to a website that could? thank you!:eek::eek:

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Personally I would have the operation. How hurt was she last night? Why didnt you take her to an emergency vet, it sounds pretty scary!

3. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

Depends on the location and severity of the torn muscle, hun... minor torn muscles may heal themselves with cage rest, but you need to be absolutely sure she's not straining the muscle involved, more serious ones will need surgery and sometimes physiotherapy afterwards. From the sounds of things, if it's due to a fight with a dog and she came out worse off, more than likely it's a serious injury and I would go by what the vet says.

4. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I think if the operation is recommended then you should go with it. Yes there's a chance you may lose her, every operation carries risks, but allowing her to heal on her own may cause her unbearable pain. You can always seek a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion (from a vet) but it sounds like the earlier its done, the better. Hoping for a speedy recovery for kitty.

Gem16 likes this.
  5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Poor Jess.
    I would have the operation.
    There is always a risk with any op but Jess is only 9 years old and many cats well over that age have ops.
    My elderly cat had an op at the age of 14 and she is now 17.
    If jess has the op then the injury will repair quicker and they will also give her a pain killer that will help her.
    It must be very uncomfortable for her at the moment.
    I do hope she will make a full recovery.

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Your poor wee puss-kin - she must be in such pain.

As previously said, she is only 9 yrs old and I would be inclined to follow the vet's diagnosis on this. Again, there is nothing to stop you getting a 2nd opion but the longer you leave it the worse it may become for your baby. My Sluggie had a thyroid op when he was 13 and was with me until he was 17.

Good luck & please keep us updated with progress.

Also, welcome to the forum. Sorry that you had to find us under such terrible circumstances but I hope you stick around and hang out with us a while. :)

7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

The OP may not have the luxury of an emergency vet. It does rather depend on your location. There may also be other personal factors involved that we don't know about such as a need for a baby-sitter etc.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I 'm pretty certain that all vets must provide emergency cover .

9. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Anaesthesia always carries a risk but I think your cat stands a far better chance of a full recovery with the operation recommended by your vet. I would have it done.

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I'm sure they do but if the vet is located several miles away, you don't have a car & rely on public transport, and the incident happens late at night when public transport is near to non-existent, then it makes getting to the vet much more difficult. We don't know the OP's circumstances so we cannot pass comment on why the cat was not seen until the morning.

11. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

I would have it done too! Are her lungs injured? Is that why the vet said it was risky? I would air your concerns with your vet, and ask him/her all of the questions you have, however silly you might feel. They will put your mind at rest xxx

12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Excuse me .Where did I pass a comment on whether or not the OP could or could not get to an emergency vet.This is what causes threads to become "heated".I merely stated that vets must provide emergency cover,but,if you want me to comment i will.If it had been my cat that had been attacked by a "pit bull":confused: type dog and was obviously injured and bleeding I would not have waited until the morning to have her seen by a vet.I would have found a way to get her the help she needed.

dougal22 likes this.
  13. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

OP, I appreciate you may not have been able to get to an emergency vet immediately but God forbid something similar should ever happen in the future, a bleeding cat that's been attacked by a dog is a real medical emergency. You mentioned she hasn't moved off the bed all day - is she at home with you?

Even very small looking puncture wounds to the chest can mask life threatening internal injuries such as a punctured lung or ruptured diaphragm. I don't know if the vet has already x-rayed for these but she most definitely needs surgery for even 'just' a torn muscle and she needs surgical intervention very quickly.

Do hope she'll be okay.

14. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Buffie, another poster asked the question which promted my first response to which you then respnded to regarding the emergency cover. I was actually 'agreeing' with YOUR comment but also suggesting a possibility as to why the OP had waited until morning to have her cat seen to.

Most people would have done absolutely everything in their power to get the cat to the emergency vet, however, no-body here knows anything about the OP, we do not know her circumstances and, most importantly, we don't know if she did try to get to an emergency vet but was not able to.

15. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

But it is still a question that needs to be asked considering that the cat "bled a lot" going by the OP's post.

It is true, we don't know the OP's circumstances so I am not sure whether anyone is in a position to make excuses for them either.

If a cat is injured - badly - then seeking emergency treatment is the only way to go IMO, whether that means getting a taxi, taking a baby along, raiding the piggy bank or putting it on a credit card etc.

16. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

This seems to happen quite a lot. Cats always seem to choose midnight on weekends to get sick/injured. In my town, you can get an emergency appointment after hours, but then you pay through the nose. Worth it, of course. I am fortunate that there is also a 24 hour animal hospital about 20 minutes drive away (expensive, but also worth it). Trouble is, if you don't have a car, then things become complicated :(

17. thelioncub

thelioncub PetForums Senior

Hey.. I would also go with the vets advice to have the op.
    I know age 9 seems old, but it doesn't automatically mean they won't make it through the anesthetic. My Lance is 16 and had an op 3 weeks ago. He did extremely well to come through that, and his kidney/liver functions were just fine. My guess is they will do a blood test beforehand anyway - so perhaps see what those results come back as and go from there?
    Good luck hon!

18. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Agree completely with what's been said!

The vet is extremely unlikely to recommend an operation unless it's absolutely necessary. Furthermore unless you've had an ultrasound/X-Ray (doesn't sound as if you have ) you can't rule out the very real possibility of internal injuries/damage to vital organs. The risk of the anaesthetic is much much lower than those posed by not having the operation at all IMO, as things stand!

hobbs2004 likes this.
  19. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I am a big believer in giving animals a chance if he alternative is euthanasia, unless of course vet advises otherwise.

Your cat is an older girl, but by no means old. She deserves the chance to recover :)

Hope all is well.

20. mrswoodwoose

mrswoodwoose PetForums Member

They just asked why didn't they take her to the emergency vet, which must have been pretty much everyone's first thought. I agree with your sentiments re cars and money and so on, but it did leave the door open for the OP to reply as to what their reasons are. It was a comment and not a judgement, so no offence should be taken just yet.

If my cat had such serious injuries I would take the vet's advice and have the operation as soon as possible, not rely on a bunch of strangers who have not even seen the cat, to say if such an operation should take place. Albeit there is plenty of good advice on these forums, this is seems like a serious injury and time is probably of the essence as the poor cat must be in pain and distress after being mauled.

Good luck with your kitty and I hope she has a speedy recovery - animals will amaze you with their resilience. My cat had anaesthetic when she was over 18 and came through ok.

#20 mrswoodwoose, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice