Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I Give up ?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Milly22, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Hello.

As some or none of you may know my cat had a litter of kittens. I can honestly say that I have loved every second of having them here. Well perhaps not the first few days as they were so tiny, anyway to the point.

They are starting to go to their new homes next week. :(

I know it is normal to be sad. Well, I think it would be normal to be sad but I am very very very sad.

One of the new owners sent me lovely card yesterday just saying how much she was looking forward to collecting her new baby and thanks for looking after her for past 3 months. :(

I didn't react in the normal way. I stuffed the card away, then later when talking about kittens I burst into tears and showed anyone who wanted to see "the card" and said "but they are my kittens not hers". :rolleyes: (I know) :blushing:

I realise this is the type of behaviour which can normally be seen in teenagers and I don't feel quite so bad today but perhaps i should just give up now?

I have a female I am collecting at the end of the month and her owner would be livid if I cancelled and I don't really want to cancel her but maybe I am just not the correct type of person to be breeding.

?

Possibly ?

2. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Awww bless ya.....I think I would feel the same, must be heartwrenching...but im sure you will be fine in time and get used to it the more you breed....dont give up just yet;):):)xxx

3. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

It gets easier:) as long as your happy with their new mummies and daddies youl be fine.

4. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi,

I wouldnt' cancel the kitten or give up your breeding ideas. I am sure as time goes by you will toughen up a little but I personally think its lovely that you feel as strongly as you do about these kittens. You are getting on track to do the breeding properly and I think you will be just fine!

You can always have a good cry on here with everyone. Keep with your plan!

Izzie

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i wouldnt give up and its very normal for you to be like this but honestly i was exactly the same and still get like that when my babies are rehomed but i make sure they go the the best possible homes so try and find some comfort in that also if it helps you can ask some of the new owners if they would send you updates on the kittens and maybe some pics as they get older. I am sure most people would be more than happy to as it shows them that they have got a kittne from someone that genuinely cares

6. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

I feel that if you don't get a little upset at your babies going then perhaps you shouldn't be breeding! All my babies have gone to wonderful homes, having thoroughly vetted prospective parents to the best of our ability, and most have become friends which is an added bonus. I cry each time we deliver the kit to their new owners (although I try to hold off until after we are in the car!). Those little furry kits feel your home with so much fun, love and energy that you are bound to feel at a bit of a loss afterwards.

Just think your new baby will help to fill the void left by the kits going and hopefully their new owners will keep you updated as to their progress.:D

7. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I dont have cats but after reading this I have to say , its a sweet thread , a little sad , but very very sweet

and MellowMa , dont give up breeding , you sound a lovely person , you're kitties are very lucky to have you as their Mum

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Nah, don't give up - without wonderful people in the world making sure their kits are cared for it would be a shame. You have done a grat job but now it's time to hand over the reins and plan the next litter.

9. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

I agree with all the above posts. Please don't give up something you are obviously passionate about, you know they are going to good homes. I am sure it will get better as time goes on. I know its not the same but when my eldest went to school for the first time I cried like a baby,...when my youngest went to school for the first time ...I threw a party lol!!!!!

10. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Thank you all for very kind replies. I feel better knowing that other people cry when they hand over the kittens, I thought I was a wimp. :D

Yes, like my 9 year old says "Mum I am a wee bit sad too but we will have kittens again, remember you said last year we will always have kittens"

He is smart lad. I shall have hold my tears when the people come to collect them, I would imagine it would look a bit strange standing crying like a child, when the new owners are so excited about their kitten. :blushing:

11. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I was soooo upset when my kits went to their new homes, although I knew everyone from 3 weeks before the kits were born until they left!
    They were fantastic I couldnt help thinking 'their my kits!! Your not having them!!' lol!! :eek:hmy:

All the gift & hugs & cards they gave me I dont know if it made me feel better or worse really as They were so happy with me and the kits that they felt like that towards me for such a good job, and heres me not wanting to them take them!! :blushing:

After the last 3 went I just sat there, nothing to do, no room to sweep, no kits to feed or play with, I felt really empty. :(

I went shopping and bought toys?! for the kits which I forgot they wernt there! I thought I even heard one cry!! :eek:hmy:

BUT then the next day when texts & phone calls started coming of how happy everyone was it made me soo proud that I could bring joy to other life's that me feeling sad for a few days didn't compare to how good i felt! :)

I still chat with most of them everyday and have made some lovely friends which is always a bonus! I get to see them grow up into stunning kits with lovely new slaves to look after them! :D

I cant wait for the next litter as I actually get to keep 1!! :D

Id think it odd if someone who did this felt nothing, proves your human! x :)

12. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

The trick is to say goodbye to the kitten before the people come to collect him/her. Then you have to be matter of fact about handing them over etc, never give them that last good bye - its fatal and it becomes really hard to hold onto your emotions then. I usually manage to hang on until the door is closed, but not always. :eek: It never gets any easier. The lovely comments you get back afterwards are a help, but I don't think it matters how long you have been breeding, you remember every single baby. All of them take a bit of your heart with them when they go. Plus you always have the best part of them left, their gorgeous Mum (and Dad if you have him too) that gave you such beautiful babies.

13. gerisdolly

gerisdolly PetForums Newbie

maybe you are not looking at it in the way you should..look at it that you are looking after someones kitten till they can collect it and while your looking after these lovely kittens your going to make sure they can use the litter tray they can eat ,,they are not afraid of the hoover ect ..and when they go to there new homes you would have made these kittens into a pet to die for and you will have made the new owners so happy and the kittens will be the centre of attention..and then you start again with the next litter making someones pet a wee angle and they just cant thank you enough..we breeders have all the fun time after time after time great isnt it..iv 2 litters just now one ready to go and the other s havent opend there eyes yet ..oh I cat wait till that happens..good luck..and love them and hand them to there new mums to love

14. deedeedee

deedeedee PetForums Senior

I am totatally the same as you, I am dreading the day they go - :( this first litter will allways be the most special:) sigh :cryin:

15. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I know! Now I am thinking perhaps I should have kept just one. I cannot though, the lady he is going to loves him too. Obviously in a different way because she doesn't know him.

Oh blast there's me getting all attitudy again. :D

I need a mantra.

These are not my kittens
    These are not my kittens
    These are not my kittens

:D

16. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

You're the midwife, perhaps? ;)

17. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Could we make that erm... real mummy and they can be .... the new owner perhaps?

No, midwife will be fine. One woman has already told me I can visit. She probably shouldn't have said that to me. I can imagine, every 2 days, "hello I am here to see Noddle again!" :)

I wonder if this is what people mean when they talk about crazy cat breeding people. ;)

18. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i know what you mean, the people who were supposed to be adopting my kitten daniel have decided against it to my delight he he, i have succeeded in rehoming his sister and his 4 brothers and i know fine and well that i will be the same with graycies babies

19. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

Oh dont I know it - this is the bit I hate about breeding - and it never gets better.

No matter how hard I work to prepare myself for those dreaded moments I always shed tears before they get past my front door - if only I could just produce the kittens that are going to remain at home.

20. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I followed all your advice.

I said my goodbyes yesterday and this morning. Had the house nice and quiet for my first little lady leaving, I felt quite calm when her owner arrived, I had kitten on my knee lying on her back, as she does.

I was sitting chatting as you do, advising on food and when to get the leukemia injection etc and.......

The LADY burst into tears!!:eek: She was so over-whelmed with the kitten sitting on my knee she just said "oh I am so sorry I just know how attached you are to them all" (that wasn't supposed to happen).

So I did cry in front of a new owner but only because she was crying first!

Thankfully, I pulled it together again, we had a little hug and I was fine when she left. Until she was at her car anyway...... I am much better now though.

Misty is cluless.

I have been sent a picture from the owners iphone already. It is on my albums, if you have a look you will see the kitten is really missing me. :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice