UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 9 month (almost 10 month) black male labrador.

He has a very sweet personality, no behaviour problems, listens well, is well trained and just a wonderful little boy.

I am trying to make the decision if I should have him neutered or not as I have had contrasting opinions from my vets and trainers.

At the moment he Dosen't hump things, he Dosen't lift his leg or mark territory and has no interest in females. He is great when we are out and always listens and is very keen to please.

I have always thought that dogs should be neutered but lately I have been given some advice to not do it, well at let not for a while. My vet said unless I get behavioural problems I could leave it for a while and see how he goes.

Personally I am concerned about weight gain and negative personality problems (he is very gentle and never stands up for him self, even agains puppies so I am worried he will keep getting hurt by other dogs if he gets softer, it's wonderful for us but I am concerned about long terms problems) I am also concerned as he hasn't lifted his leg that he is too young to neuter.

What do people suggest, is there a good age to get them done, or should I leave it until he matures or leave him un-nurtured if he remains good natured. I also am considering developing him in to agility or fly ball competitions as he gets older and know sometimes neutering affects his ability to compete.

What advise do people have? Thanks

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
I, personally, do not believe in the routine neutering of male dogs - I personally think it should ONLY be done for medical reasons (retained testicles, tumours etc) or in the very unusual cases when castration may help with a behavioural issue.

I've never neutered any dog through choice - only ones of mine that have ever been done are rescues who either came to me neutered, or on a neuter contract - I firmly believe it's FAR healthier for a male dog to remain entire - the benefits of NOT neutering by far outweigh those of neutering, IMO.

On the positive side, neutering male dogs
• eliminates the small risk (probably <1%) of dying from testicular cancer
• reduces the risk of non-cancerous prostate disorders
• reduces the risk of perianal fistulas
• may possibly reduce the risk of diabetes (data inconclusive)

On the negative side, neutering male dogs
• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a
common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
• increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6
• triples the risk of hypothyroidism
• increases the risk of progressive geriatric cognitive impairment
• triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems
• quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer
• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers
• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations
I keep an all-male pack consisting of three entire dogs and three neutered ones. There is no real noticeable difference, behaviour wise, between the entire and the neutered ones.

In all the years I have had entire male dogs - not once has one of them ever became close to adding to the population of unwanted dogs. Nor have I ever lost a dog to a cancer/illness that could have been prevent by neutering, or had any issues with straying, indoor scent marking, aggression or humping that haven't been easily rectified.

If castration must be done, then I strongly believe it shouldn't be done before the dogs second birthday at least, and as late as the third or fourth birthday for giant breeds, when they are physically mature, and never before.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
I had all my dogs neutered because of my multi dog household however I would not do it again. Just because a dog is entire it doesn't mean he will hump or pee everywhere. I now believe routine neutering is wrong and can make a dog insecure or reactive towards other dogs. All my boys are dog reactive and have silly fears, can even be to high winds. Testosterone is great for confidence and doesn't mean a dog will be aggressive to other dogs, in fact my past entire dogs were all dog sociable and very stable in themselves.

I wish in hindsight I had just stuck to having my females spayed and left the boys entire. Think carefully because once its done its done!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am VERY PRO neutering for these reasons.

All the vets we have talked to tell us that cancer risks for male dogs are high if they retain their testicals and are not breeding.

As a dog walker, any non desexed dogs off lead in off lead dog parks (where all social dogs should be) can and do present problems. Its not the aggression, its the humping for real (not just dominance.

We all have our views, I thought I would just present another one ,, thanks

·
Registered
815 Posts
Personally i always neuter my dogs unless i have a household with alot of males or femles, then i would asess the situation.

I have never had a dog put on weight after neutering or their personality changing for the worse.

I believe there are mote benefits to neutering than not.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
As a dog walker, any non desexed dogs off lead in off lead dog parks (where all social dogs should be) can and do present problems. Its not the aggression, its the humping for real (not just dominance.
Have to say it's the way a dog is raised as to whether it humps or not. None of mine did and I doubt very much Pogo's boys go out for a random hump when they walk. Also neutered dogs do it too if allowed, even females - it's not always a sex thing!

As for vets recommending it - makes money so why not? They also recommend feeding Hill's Science plan diet - hmmmm........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
There are loads of different opinions on this topic and it's been spoken about loads of times on here if you use the search box at the top of the page. Owning an entire dog is like riding a motorbike; you have to drive for yourself ad everyone around you! I think it really depends on your lifestyle, your household, your beliefs and just generally what works best for you, I wouldn't be pressured either way by either side. I am pro doing what is best for yor lifestyle, owning an entire dog is not for everyone but there are benefits.

I certainly don't think neutering is a 'fad' I think it's vets being responsible and recognising that 80% of the population of dog owners arnt responsible enough to cope with entire dogs and are attempting to control the critical over population problem.

Youve already had some benifits, so ill explain some negatives. In my area, for example, lots of people walk in season bitches. I have to be on constant high alert and cannot let my male offlead as no mount of training can overcome those sort of urges! We go to a lot of doggy events where there are bitches in season or just out of season and he turns into a salivating, whining, teeth-chattering mess and won't eat for a few days after. Ive had to pull my dog away from bitches offlead in the park more than once, trust me not an easy task with an 80lbs dobermann.

I've never had a problem with marking or humping, but he cannot be trusted with other males entire or not. He can run with them, but will not back down if any other male has a 'make my day' kind of attitude. I believe this could be more down to personality than the fact he isn't neutered, but if is definitley heightened by hormones! Canine testicular cancer in my breed is common particularly in older dogs, some breeders are starting to collect from their males when they are younger and neutering their stud dogs earlier than they would have before for this reason.

Many people in sch will argue that it's a myth neutering a dog will cause them too loose any drive, others will swear they can see a difference. I personally think a dog has got drive or it hasn't, I don't believe this is vastly affected by neutering.

The time to do it if you choose too is also personal opinion. Personally, I would wait untill two years.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi, I have a 9 month (almost 10 month) black male labrador.

He has a very sweet personality, no behaviour problems, listens well, is well trained and just a wonderful little boy.

I am trying to make the decision if I should have him neutered or not as I have had contrasting opinions from my vets and trainers.

At the moment he Dosen't hump things, he Dosen't lift his leg or mark territory and has no interest in females. He is great when we are out and always listens and is very keen to please.

I have always thought that dogs should be neutered but lately I have been given some advice to not do it, well at let not for a while. My vet said unless I get behavioural problems I could leave it for a while and see how he goes.

Personally I am concerned about weight gain and negative personality problems (he is very gentle and never stands up for him self, even agains puppies so I am worried he will keep getting hurt by other dogs if he gets softer, it's wonderful for us but I am concerned about long terms problems) I am also concerned as he hasn't lifted his leg that he is too young to neuter.

What do people suggest, is there a good age to get them done, or should I leave it until he matures or leave him un-nurtured if he remains good natured. I also am considering developing him in to agility or fly ball competitions as he gets older and know sometimes neutering affects his ability to compete.

What advise do people have? Thanks
Although I have always neutered my Males personally I have always waited until at least their second year 16/18 mths at least. I prefer to wait until more physically and mentally developed.

If he has no behaviour probles, is well trained and focused, doesnt hump, has no interest in females and doesnt even lift his leg at the moment, there is no reason to rush in and neuter him, so personally if he was mine I would deffinately wait.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
I'll add that Harvey like I said is entire, nearly 2 and a staff.

He has no interest in, in season bitches and has stood next to one without a second glance (he has his girlfriends but they are special :rolleyes: )

He marks but only out of the house, I can trust him around all dogs, male or female, entire or not. Very rarely has a little hump of something when he's really over excited, and can always go off lead :)

So yer he's keeping his little friends ;)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Sorry fo asking a question on someone elses thread:eek: but as it is near enough the same question thought it daft to start another.

I`ve got an eleven month old boy with all his bits. He has never humped (well not yet anyway) clean in the house and other house`s he gets taken to. Does cock his leg quite a bit when out but then to be fair one of my girls can piddle for England as well!

Both the girls are spayed and don`t think we have come across a bitch in heat but would imagine he would be pretty interested, but seeing as I have them on leads anywhere I expect to met dogs - normally don`t see anyone only if we go into town for walks and then they are always on leads - so hopefully that won`t be a problem.

He is sensitive lad not over confident so I am intending to keep him entire, but I do have a slight worry.

I like to go to fun dog shows to support various rescues or local charities. At one (before I had my boy) a lot of the dogs were being reactive towards one particular dog. I was told that it was because that dog was entire and other male neutered dogs don`t like entire dogs.

Does anybody have experience of this? Is it common for neutered dogs to take a dislike to entire dogs. I don`t intend to rush out and have him neutered anyway, its just something I wonder if I should be aware of and prehaps not take him to places where a lot of neutered males may be about?

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Sorry fo asking a question on someone elses thread:eek: but as it is near enough the same question thought it daft to start another.

I`ve got an eleven month old boy with all his bits. He has never humped (well not yet anyway) clean in the house and other house`s he gets taken to. Does cock his leg quite a bit when out but then to be fair one of my girls can piddle for England as well!

Both the girls are spayed and don`t think we have come across a bitch in heat but would imagine he would be pretty interested, but seeing as I have them on leads anywhere I expect to met dogs - normally don`t see anyone only if we go into town for walks and then they are always on leads - so hopefully that won`t be a problem.

He is sensitive lad not over confident so I am intending to keep him entire, but I do have a slight worry.

I like to go to fun dog shows to support various rescues or local charities. At one (before I had my boy) a lot of the dogs were being reactive towards one particular dog. I was told that it was because that dog was entire and other male neutered dogs don`t like entire dogs.

Does anybody have experience of this? Is it common for neutered dogs to take a dislike to entire dogs. I don`t intend to rush out and have him neutered anyway, its just something I wonder if I should be aware of and prehaps not take him to places where a lot of neutered males may be about?
Some breeds are known more for same sex agression more then others anyway and some individual dogs can be in their own right. Malamutes for example are one of them and my neutered male will still rise to a challenge from males especially entire or sometimes even when they are not and set up a challenge if they are pushy and he takes a dislike to them. Then again there are a couple of entire male collies he adores and will play with, but they are not bolshy confrontational dogs who set up a challenge either in personality just laid back and easy going, oddly the two he does like absolutely hate each other (different owners) if they do encounter each other.

So whilst it can be true male/male same sex certainly can be a problem (and females or some can be as bad or worse) and they can kick off, the dog in question wether its reactive or not and is the sort to challenge seems to play a big part too.

It could be that although this dog was entire certainly he may have been sending challenging and threatening body language and signalling to other dogs too, and that can be as subtle as eyeballing fixing and keeping direct eye contact, body posturing etc, which other dogs will pick up on and see as a threat or a challenge and likely react to him because of that.

·
Registered
595 Posts

I have 2 Entire males age 9 and 6 (and male puppy) and haven't had any problems at shows etc where dogs become reactive to them like the example you give. Neither has ever been in a dog fight although if they come across a bitch in season they are definately verrry interested!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Thank you both for your replies. I have not had a boy dog for many years or indeed had such a young dog. If I had had him a few years ago I wouldn`t have thought twice about whipping his bits off but know that opinions have changed somewhat. I certainly feel he will benefit by keeping them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.