Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I get another kitten or is it to soon

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mrs vw, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Mrs vw

Mrs vw PetForums Newbie

Hi every one,
    as some of you know we lost our 12 week old kitten on saturday, we still have Trixe his sitser, I am trying to find out if i should get another kitten, or is it to soon for her and us, i really dont know what to do :(

2. kunzy

kunzy Guest

get another one.

3. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

I am really sorry for your loss of your beloved kittie....this is a tricky one and maybe someone will come along in a minute who is a more experienced cat owner and know about how your existing kitten will react to a new addition so soon

i think there are two ways of looking at it:

it maybe too soon for both you and your kittie...your kitten needs to get used its sibling not being around and also you have to deal with your loss and give your kittens lots of extra comfort

or

it maybe just the thing to put a smile back on your face and focus on and give your kitten a distraction and someone to get to know as well

i think getting another kitten is a great idea...but as i know very well two kittens coming together is not always a picnic to begin with and your kitten at home with you now is confused and maybe feeling insecure without its sibling and the loss is raw

sorry i havent really answered your question either way....but i really feel yes its a good idea....but maybe wait a few weeks or even a couple of months

i do wish you all the best and good luck in finding a companion for your furbaby xx :)

4. Mrs vw

Mrs vw PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advise, the thing is i think Trixe new he was ill and not going to make, the strangest thing is she seems more relaxed and happy now that he has passed away, so i am really confused about getting another kitten, i am not sure if getting another one will make her feel unhappy in her home, but then she might love the company,

5. fessie

fessie PetForums Junior

well if your not sure wait till you are :)

6. Mrs vw

Mrs vw PetForums Newbie

Hi fessie,
    if i waited would it be harder on Trixe when a new kitten comes along ?

7. chesca13

chesca13 PetForums Member

Hello, Im sorry to hear about your loss, its so hard losing a pet and such a shock in this situation. If it was me i would wait let the little girl really settle in first and yes it will be hard when you ge another both me and Honeysmummy know all to well about that both our cats were around 7 months when we got the second, im on day 7 of "big cat meet little kitten" and there getting along fine but even at 7months they are still young and take the change easier and you will get lots of help here. You'll know when the time is right.

8. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

i agree chesca13...you will know when the time is right...i think you are already leaning towards one way already ;)

Obviously finding a new kitten will not happen by any means overnight so if you want to start looking now..your kitten will have this time whilst you are looking...and as chesca13 has said..we will all be here to see you through that experience ;)

good luck xx

9. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Yes i remember your thread and it is a very sad time for you and your remaining kitty.
    Over the years i have introduced kittens to cats and cats to cats.
    I firstly would say not to rush in to anything but take your time and enjoy taking the time to find a little one that you think would fit in nicely to your kitten.

usually after a few days they will find the pecking order with no trouble.
    Introducing kittens is quite easy so long as you don't have 2 bossy ones:nono:

A boy and a Girl goes well.
    Also having two is company for them both when you are not around.

The photos are taken of our last introduction with a kitten aged 15 weeks and Harley who was 2.5 years old. The pictures were taken 4 days into the introduction.

Hope that gives you something to look forward to in a few weeks/months.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice