Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I get a second dog??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emraa, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

I always said that when Bella reaches two years of age I would think about getting her a playmate...she is two tomorrow :)
    Now I have a dilemma, should I look into getting another dog? Bella is my first dog so have no idea of how things will change with two dogs around (apart from double trouble and double the costs!)
    I am self employed (part time) so have the time to give a new dog, my OH would love another dog but he isn't the one that would have to do all the hard work as he works full time.
    I have been looking at rescue sites and it breaks my heart to see all of these dogs that are looking for their forever home :sad:

Pros and cons of having two dogs rather than one please...

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

To be honest I don't think there's much difference in having one or two.

You've already had to make the time and commitment for walking your dog, feeding etc. so in that respect another one won't make much more work.

On the plus side your dog will have company when your not there.

On the minus side, you'll have double the expense!!

3. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

I have never owned two dogs before so it was all new to me too.

I love the fact that they have a playmate and of course more cuddles to go around :D

The downside is more expense and where somebody may be willing to look after one dog for you two they may not.

The worse case scenario is that they don't get on, but if you dog seems happy around other dogs and you take time to meet your rescue and give your current dog attention should hopefully be fine.

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

If you get a second dog, you won't regret it :)

I'd never have just one dog again, i'd always have to add a second one :D

5. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I wont lie, there is no way I would have got a second dog if it was for me. My Mum got Milo so we have two between us but if I got Milo I would have 100% regretted it.

He's nice and everything but he's not suited to me anywhere near as well as Rupert is and I find certain aspects of his personality very frustrating. I think it really depends on what you're looking for. All I would say is if you have any doubts whatsoever about a certain dog when you go looking, don't ignore that feeling. I think most people go through the 'omg what have I done' stage at some point especially if you get an adult dog whom someone else has already *cough* 'trained' *cough*.

It does cost more, and you have to think about whether you can leave one dog on its own to take the other to the vet etc and make it manageable. I have always ensured ours had lots of separate time because its just not practical to take them both to the vet when one needs to go etc. It also means that they quite happily go out for walks when the other doesn't as well as together and aren't in a state about where their buddy has gone all the time, I really didn't want them relying on each other too much.

Our dogs don't even get left together when we go out as its not practical so they don't have company when out but they do have each other to play with etc.

When we got our second we made sure he got used to being second in line for treats/food (he'd jump up and snatch so you couldn't just give it to them at the same time else your hand got bitten off in the process). Also would let him go outside second (can't let them out to toilet together else the new boy doesn't go..!) and would separate them both if the new boy wasn't giving old boy some peace and quiet when he wanted it.

I think ours was a bit of a pain in the bum because we had a testosterone fueled bouncy labrador who sort of knew sit but nothing else and had no doggy manners, and then a golden retriever who is chilled out but too much of a softie to tell the new dog off, he'd just tolerate it and look a bit miserable.

It is nice having two I would just think of the kind of dog you want long before you go to a rescue, don't get sucked in by one who looks cute etc if they don't really fit your requirements because they are going to have to live and get on with your existing dog :)

#5 GoldenShadow, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

My Bella turns 2 sometime in the next couple of months (not sure as she is a rescue).
    Originally, I was almost sure I would get a second dog. However, now I actually think I won't. Bella is a hugely loved memeber of our family and she fits in really well. she often comes along to friends/ my granny, out for coffee etc, in addition to at least 2 off lead walks a day. She loves playing with other dogs but she gets this on her walks, and when we visit friends who have dogs.

My main reason in getting another dog would be for Bella to have a playmate at home, but I wonder if that would be at the expense of other things. I like the one-to-one. I like being able to do walks tailored to Bella (which may not be possible if we get another dog with different likes and dislikes to Bella), I love our playtime sessions with Bella, and i love how 'portable' she is. Because she is so well behaved she can come along almost anywhere, so if we're out for the day in another town etc she just comes with, and she comes with us to Greece in the summer.

She doesn't destroy anything in the house, is 100% toilet trained, is fine beingleft 3-4 hours (never tried more and never will).

Generally, we have a great thing, and I wonder if getting a second dog might ruin the balance. And I also don't think that wanting Bella to have a constant companion at home is reason enough to eat a second dog. She gets so much attenton from all of us, lots of long off lead walks, the opportunity to play with other dogs every day...

I can't answer your dilemma, but I think I have decided for my case that Bella is gonna be our only girl:) She may be 6.5 kg, but she fills our home, in the best way possible!

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I think the most important thing to do is get a dog with a good temperament around other dogs. There are breeds that don't get on too well with other dogs - Mals for instance - so you wouldn't want one that there may be doubts about in this area. Because I have Mals I couldn't consider a rescue unless it were a pup, they tolerate a pup but an older dog would be questionable.

I love having multiple dogs and the dogs interact with each other, which is lovely to see, however even mine have had the occasional scrap. :rolleyes: It is rare though.

Usually a male is the best option if you want a friend for Bella and it would be nice if you could have one on a month home trial basis from a rescue. I'm sure there are many lovely dogs just waiting for the chance.
    My last two were a male Staffy and a bitch JRT - they were inseperable and the bond was beautiful to see. :)

8. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone for your input, I find it hard because I have to think of the practicalities but I also feel so upset that there are dogs stuck in kennels when I could give them a loving home :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice