Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I get a second cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cassie123, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Cassie123

Cassie123 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!

I got a lovely rescue kitten who is around 6 months old. She's quite placid if a little timid when strangers come in. She is like my little shadow, follows me from room to room and loves to snuggle on my lap or come under the duvet at night.

I would love a second kitten because i feel she would benefit from a companion when im out at work. However i feel really apprehensive - it sounds silly but I feel because we have such a close bond I don't want anything to upset or change that!

Does anyone have any advice or have been in a similar situation? I'd love to rescue another cat and give it a good home, but I don't want to have made the wrong decision!

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

In our case it worked. Our cat about 2.5 when a kitten came to us has really blossomed, they have a lot of fun together and he has become more talkative.

Make sure you have space though, for more litter boxes, places to go if they want seperation, time to give both attention.

3. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I have 6 cats, I started off with two brothers. Kitten thrive with a playmate, and you'll have two to cuddle!

4. 1CatOverTheLine

1CatOverTheLine PetForums Senior

@Cassie123 - It seems to me that with the sentence, "I'd love to rescue another cat and give it a good home," that you've already made a good decision.

The usual rule of thumb is one cat per 50 m² and one litter box per cat (plus an extra if your clowder's sizeable). There's no law, of course, which says that you must have one cat per 50 m² although really, there should be.

I have eleven currently in roughly 500 m² - with the run of the whole house - and as a general rule, all eleven occupy three sofas totaling about 27 square feet, which means that under those conditions, with the proper number of sofas, I could comfortably have about 1511½ cats. That's just plain silly, of course, as there's no such thing as half a cat, but in all events, even in a smaller flat, two cats are no more trouble than one - and the joy which their interactions will bring - once they've been carefully introduced, and your scratches properly tended to - will warm the Heart on the coldest night.

You've landed in the right spot here as well - there's no dearth of experience at Cat Chat, and any number of members will be only too happy to answer any specific questions which might come to mind. Here's a wish that you - and your current kitty - find that Santa Claus has left a new companion under the tree on Christmas morning. Of course, that's entirely euphemistic; there's no such person as Santa Claus - he's entirely fictitious, unlike the Easter Bunny, who is as real as Tony Blair.

Rufus15, Eilidh, raysmyheart and 2 others like this.
  5. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

The thing is every cat is different. Most cats, in my experience, will be ok with another (33/35). Some will adore another cat (1/35), some will loathe it (1/35). Again, not scientific, just my experience.

If it goes well, then that’s great. But if the 2 cats hate each other can you seperate your home, and your time, to accommodate them both? I’ve had a cat hate the new cat so much that he couldn’t be in the same room. It got better when I moved to a bigger house and they had more room.

My 4 pet cats get on pretty well but I still have 3 safe rooms for my 3 girls, so their brother doesn’t bother them (they use them less and less as they are 7 years old and he’s finally growing up!). Often they are lovely and cuddly and play together.

I obviously wouldn’t have it any other way but sometimes I feel like I do have 1511 1/2 cats as there’s nowhere to sit. I sat on the floor to watch tv with my dinner this evening.

Dumpling, AmsMam, Eilidh and 3 others like this.
  6. 1CatOverTheLine

1CatOverTheLine PetForums Senior

@Cassie123 - Cats are like the cast and plotline of virtually any Brat Pack film - everyone hates the newcomer. Then one day, the newcomer saves the world, or teaches one of the brats cats something useful, or buys the correct brand of treacle cat treats, and suddenly, they're everyone's Humphrey Bogart (or Grace Kelly).

"Cats," once proclaimed some very wise fellow who might have been Archimedes, Aristotle, Aristophanes or one of the other characters from Dr. Seuss T. S. Eliot "is cats, an' it's best to just let 'em be cats." In the vast percentage of cases - as pointed out by @Jaf in the Thirty-Three Thirty-Fifths Equation - a clowder of cats (and the fact of the matter is that the larger the clowder, the easier it is for a newcomer to gain acceptance) will eventually accept a newcomer, though there are devious means by which a savvy cat herder can facilitate this with more aplomb than by simply throwing the newcomer to the lions, as it were.

Slow introductions generally work best for all concerned - a safe room for the new joiner at first, some scent swapping, and then a screen door, child gate or French door barrier, to offer all concerned the opportunity to formulate opinions other than, "new cat will eat all the food; must kill new cat now!"

There are numerous threads and articles on PetForums about introducing cats, and most are easily accessible through the search on the Home Page, with the single keyword, "Introductions." Doubtless, once more, any questions you might have will be answered by others who've been in your situation in the past, and have learned from their foolhardiness mistakes. There's no sure-fire way to introduce cats, but a little support from other Cat Chatters will go a long way - and this is, indeed, a supportive community.

Caveat: back in the good old days when I had only ten cats - the penultimate time I had to introduce a new cat to the clowder - the then-current Alpha male clearly had some bad blood with the newcomer. After trying all the tricks involving swapping dishes, handing out cat treats as though they grew on trees, and spreading so much catnip around the place that it was becoming a slip-and-fall hazard, to absolutely no avail, I ultimately simply picked one up in either hand and rubbed them together like a demented Boy Scout trying to earn his Cat Fire Merit Badge. There was no combustion, and sometimes the unorthodox becomes necessity, but by and large, most introductions go along without much more than a hiss, a swat, and then two cats sharing a bed as though they'd done it all their Lives.

7. Eilidh

Eilidh PetForums Senior

Hi @Cassie123 Welcome to Cat Chat.

I think you should go for it, you will be rescuing another wee soul. It's best to try and look for one with the right personality to go with your other one.

I can totally understand about not wanting to spoil your relationship, I was the exact same with Einstein. It taken me ages to decide. It was the best decision ever. We got Ada our girl, they got on straight away. Ada was physically abused. It taken her time to settle with OH and myself. Einstein, I think has helped her heal. It is a beautiful thing to watch. They both snuggle together, play and groom. I still have my extremely close bond with my boy.

We have recently taken on two beautiful kittens. We had a few issues, with the help of my fellow cat chatters, we now have a harmonious home.

Please stick around and let us know how you get on. Pictures are always a bonus too!

Eilidh xx

Cassie123 and 1CatOverTheLine like this.
  8. Eilidh

Eilidh PetForums Senior

@1CatOverTheLine I love to read your replies. I sense you have a good, dark sense of humour. Very refreshing!
    Hope all is well over the pond. Eilidh xx

1CatOverTheLine likes this.
  9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

At 6 months she is still very adaptable. I'd look for a kitten of a similar age & size, a boy, and of a similar temperament.

1CatOverTheLine and Eilidh like this.
  10. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

I adopted my second kitten when Severus was 12 weeks old. Lilly was 21 weeks, There was some hissing and some growling but after a couple of days it settled. We have had Lily a month now and they sleep, play and eat together along with mutual grooming and both trying to climb my leg at the same time.

PS, I know I have posted this picture before but it is my favourite ever.

[​IMG]

11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

In every works there is the possibility of a spanner ;) ,whilst I cant disagree that many cats will accept another cat in to their territory from what I have learned over the years there are many who secretly or not so secretly are not impressed by having to share their resources.
    From what you have said about your cat and the relationship you have with her I, personally , would be unsure about just how well she will accept another cat who in her mind is trying to take over one of her prized possessions........you.
    I don't want this to sound a negative post but my own feelings are that in general cats are perfectly happy on their own and would not naturally seek out others for companionship so what I'm trying to say is it may work it may not but if it doesn't you might have to make a difficult choice to rehome the new arrival.

1CatOverTheLine and AmsMam like this.
  12. Abbie94

Abbie94 PetForums Junior

Hello,

I did have 6, but now down to 5 unfortunately!

We started off with one (unbeknown to us she was pregnant with 7 kitties!). Different situation slightly I guess as she gave birth to them, but we did have to 'adopt' our neighbours two cats that were the same age due to neglect on her part.

Although they have their fights and cats are generally independent by nature, I believe (if you can afford it) that providing a friend is a good idea. As long as they have their own place to go where they can retreat, I can't see why not! :)

Abbie x

1CatOverTheLine likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice