Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I get a kitten for older cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lily333, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Lily333

Lily333 PetForums Newbie

i rescued a 4 year old cat last week, hes very untrusting at first but he’s friendly, can swipe sometimes but is playful. I’ve been considering also getting a kitten but not sure whether it’s a good idea or not.. hasn’t anyone done a similar thing and have advice?

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

He might appreciate a playmate, and kittens are far more easily accepted than adults, but it's not a given. Personally I'd get no kittens, or two kittens as they will play with each other and he can pick and choose.

Summercat and chillminx like this.
  3. Lily333

Lily333 PetForums Newbie

That’s very true, then the kittens are more likely to play with each other than Nilo who I have now. I just wouldn’t want to take them in and Nilo feel pushed out or not relaxed in his own home! I’ve only had him almost a week so I don’t know if it’s better to introduce a new cat now while it’s early on

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It's far far too soon to think of another cat or kitten

Angel and Bobo likes this.
  5. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Still early days. Will he have outside access later on, how much time do you have for him? If he gets lots of attention/play and will have outside for stimulation he will probably be fine as an only cat.
    Home alone a lot, I would consider the kittens idea once he is settled.

6. Lily333

Lily333 PetForums Newbie

Yes he’ll have access to a big garden,
    Lots of trees and things to hunt. At the moment I’m off work so I’m with him all the time, it’s hard at the moment as I have to keep him inside, feel like I’m trapping him in a prison! He’s always at the window looking outside. I will consider another cat when he’s settled, probably not a kitten. Maybe a cat of around 3years old

7. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Lily333
    It can work with adult cats but kitten to adult or kitten to kitten is probably easier. Make sure you introduce them slowly for best success.
    Post a pic of your guy please, we love cat pics :cool:

8. Lily333

Lily333 PetForums Newbie

He’s 4, really unsure what age to get if I do get another one! Very hard to say!

Attached Files:

Jackie C and Summercat like this.
  9. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Gorgeous kitty, I have a soft spot for fluffy, black cats:cool: Mine is in my avatar.

Do you know the history of your cat and if he lived with others? I would speak to a rescue and they can likely recommend a good match. Probably a laid back male cat or kitten.

My sister did have a successful intro with a two year old male she had for about a month and a half and a four month old kitten.
    I think the fact he was not an only cat for long helped and the intro was gradual. She did have a large space and places to climb etc for privacy if they wanted once together but they get along well, sleep together and play a lot. They are indoor only.

10. Lily333

Lily333 PetForums Newbie

Me too I fell in love with him as soon as I saw him! Awww yours is gorgeous! Can I ask how often do you brush your kitty?
    No the rescue never said, they said he can’t live with children but nothing about other animals. I may pop in at see them tomorrow, hopefully they remember! Oh that’s good very positive! That’s why I was thinking is it better to introduce a new cat now while it’s new to him. Awww that’s a lovely story though!

Are your cats indoor only? That’s something I’ve been torn about, mainly because I’m terrified he’ll wander off and never come back or get run over on a county road!

11. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    My cat Biggles is indoor only, we live in a flat In a large city. I brush him briefly everyday or so. If he is sleepy or intent on something I get more time in but usually briefly before he decides the brush is a toy. He does not mat much. His hair is layered on top and wavy on his stomach. He had a couple mats under his front legs and I found one on his back once. His fur is pretty thick.
    This is Biggles, you can see his fur better here:
    180C073A-20CA-405F-92D4-5DB250CB9749.png

12. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

D7C8DFD8-421B-44B3-9872-44F67409AF56.png These are my sisters cats. This was taken at Christmas and they get along well, the younger one has gotten a lot bigger.
    I think waiting not too long is good but not too soon. Let your guy get settled a bit and you will likely see his personality a bit better.
    Maybe after a month think about it but don't rush.
    The intro should be slow and you can get lots of advice here for that.
    There was a bit of hissing on the older cats part, (the cream cat) but it worked out real l y well. The kitten just sat calmly in the carrier when we brought him out after about a week.
    We didn't know the background of either, the cream boy was found on the street and the tabby was dropped off at a shelter but no background was given other than he was brought in the trunk of a car in 90 degree heat.
    My sister is in the US and the rescue she got the two year old from has an indoor only rule (opposite of most U.K. rescues) and the kitten she keeps indoors as well. She has a house, so there is plenty of room for both but they like each other's company.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice