Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

should i feed him more

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by c20spit, Jul 27, 2009.

1. c20spit

c20spit PetForums Junior

my 17 week old estrela , sampson can sometimes consume a lot of food. i feed him in the morning the afternoon and i the evening. he's on purina pro plan puppy large breed robust. according to them he should have between 320g and 590g daily. somedays he wants this and more, he just barks at his bowl and somedays he'll be within the range. . he's 22kg and in no way appears over weight, should i feed him more if he's hungry or should i just say no? thanks.

2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

the amounts you give are they off the bag or the breeder

3. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

he's still quite young - I would prob still be feeding 3 times a day until 6 months.

If I were you I would try giving him the upper limit split between 3 meals, and if he still seems hungry try giving him a bit more. Am I right in thinking Estrela's are quite big? In which case he may well need a bit more.

Keep a check on it and if he seems like he is putting on too much weight then wind it back a little. You should be able to feel his ribs but not see them.

Saying this, I have the dog equivalent of a dustbin here who would just eat and eat till she was sick (as has happened at a BBQ recently! bloomin' spaniels :rolleyes:) so he may just be very food orientated (aka greedy).

best advice I can give is to try it and see...

4. c20spit

c20spit PetForums Junior

the amounts are from the food bag based on the fact his weight will be 45-60kg as an adult. thinking about it the breeder would have fed him around 500 grams a day 2.5 weeks ago so maybe he needs a bit more now he's bigger. you can't see his ribs because of his coat but you can feel them fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice