UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave my dog her dinner and she fetched it straight back shortly after totally undigested I did notice that there was a whole rawhide chew in there wrapped around her food.

I made her lay on sofa and rest but our food shop has arrived and she's nagging me for a bit of cocktail sausage, her tummy is still rumbling as I guess her dinner never got chance to stay in there and for her tummy to register as 'full'.

Should I try again with a bit of scrambled egg and kibble, assuming it was the undigested rawhide chew that had made her sick and she'd be ok now that's out?

Otherwise I foresee a rumbly tummy all night, I don't want her feeling hungry all night, then been sick from stomach acid, cos it thinks it's been empty since yesterday?

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Sounds like it might have been the chew that was making her poorly. Our old boy used to bring up completely undigested food and normally there was something forbidden in there that he had managed to hoover up from somewhere, whole chips were often the culprit :rolleyes:. Give her a little and see how it goes.

Maybe steer clear of the chews if she is taking them in whole, they are buggers aren't they :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I tried a stagbar but she wasn't interested and she finds large pizzle sticks too hard I think.

I'm trying to find her something maybe a bit softer for younger or older dog that I can encourage her to chew on for keeping her teeth clean thats not too high calorie and fairly healthy?

She's gone off jumbones and other similar ones that are quite dense and I tried one called Wainwrights like a vegetable stick kind of thing but she wasn't keen on those either so running out of ideas.

She seems to only prefer things like rodeo, cheesy bites, bakers treats cut up into small pieces to fit in her treat toys, but I'd like to be able to give her something she can have a good chew on.

Thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
yeah I tried a stagbar but she wasn't interested and she finds large pizzle sticks too hard I think.

I'm trying to find her something maybe a bit softer for younger or older dog that I can encourage her to chew on for keeping her teeth clean thats not too high calorie and fairly healthy?

She's gone off jumbones and other similar ones that are quite dense and I tried one called Wainwrights like a vegetable stick kind of thing but she wasn't keen on those either so running out of ideas.

She seems to only prefer things like rodeo, cheesy bites, bakers treats cut up into small pieces to fit in her treat toys, but I'd like to be able to give her something she can have a good chew on.

Thanks
My Harley loves the wainwrights veg sticks you mention, and thats mostly the only treats i feed him as they agree with his allergies. He also has stagbars and loves them though.

Have you tried the puppy chews that antlerdogchews.co.uk do? They are much softer.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Have you tried softening the Stagbar a little for her? If you soak it (or one tine of it) in hot water for a while it softens up and makes it smell a bit more. Some dogs need a bit more encouragement to get started with them and doing that can help.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh i found the easy chews I was looking at the antler tips before! ..I see what you mean now.

For the stagbar ..yes i tried the soaking trick it doesn't seem to have got much softer and she doesn't seem interested. I'll probably just save the ones she didn't like as I'm hopefully getting a puppy next week..wait till he's a bit bigger as he'll only be 10-12 weeks I'm not sure which ones be safe for him..possibly the jumbones and wainwrights veggie sticks be ok for him to start with?

·
Life is Golden
3,719 Posts
When our lot have a raw hide chew that being pup and adults I bin it when it gets near the end or they swallow that bit whole.

Im not a fan of them really and they only get one now and then but I watch them like a hawk with it:skep:

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might get Inca one of the easy chews for her stocking. I'm not sure whether to go with medium or large. She's collie cross 23" at shoulder.

Should I wait until the younger pup got a bit older before starting him on antler bone chews? (over 6 month?) after xmas ? (3-4 month old?) he gonna be really young when he comes 10-12 weeks. I got him a puppy starter pack of 3 little nylabone bones in different flavours and some teething toys.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
We're getting a pup in the new year and he's going to have access to the adults' antler chews right away at 8 weeks old. I can't see any reason to keep them away from him and as we get the XL ones they'll probably be too big for him to do much with anyway other than nibble on the soggy ends.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I've never heard of that!! (plaque off)

She already has 'mobile bones' sprinkled over her food as she isn't keen on tablets so its easiest way to get supplements in her to ease her stiffness that she was starting to show after she hit 10. She's been on that about a year now.

She doesn't like having her teeth brushed either or the taste of the doggy toothpaste, as I did think of just spreading the doggy toothpaste on a chew, but she won't have it!

I wasn't sure if the antler chews/stagbars be safe for a puppy that young but this is youngest I've ever had a pup, as my others were rescues (youngest about 4 and half months when got her)

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I got a pack of 5 easy antler chews (ones cut in half) to try first, so see how we go with them, how long they last etc so can decide whether to go with stag ends for puppy or smaller or larger sizes etc if they both like them.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Inca has been fine today I think it was the undigested rawhide chew that was the problem it practically came back out whole! I find it hard to believe she could have swallowed the whole thing without chewing at all! (was a chewy shoe with front missing where she previously eaten front part)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.