Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I declare this?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lynnejt, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Lynnejt

Lynnejt PetForums Newbie

Hi first time user to the forums here.

I wonder if anyone else has been in this situation. Our dog had some tests done on a couple of lumps, which turned out non threatening, and we were told by the vets just to watch them. So our dog is receiving no advice and medication.

We want to move to a new pet insurance company, do we need to declare what happened?

I am finding pet insurance a minefield and wonder whether it's worth insuring my
    dog at all.

It would be nice to hear someone elses thoughts on this. :)

2. theothersparticus

theothersparticus PetForums Senior

Personally I would, because your vet has examined them and it will probably be on their records so the insurance company would know that you had previously been concerned about them.

If I hadn't previously mentioned them to the vets, I certainly wouldn't let the insurance know, as they would count it as a 'pre-existing' condition.

If you have money (or an emergency credit card) put aside to deal with your dog's illnesses it may be worth not insuring them. It's just a matter of balancing costs and hassle :) HTH

Good Luck.

3. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Yes, your insurance company will declare it as a pre-existing condition. You need to get a precise diagnosis from your vet - that way you may be able to get any exemption removed if it doesn't re-occur.

To find out about pet insurance generally, click on the link in my signature below and then click 'Free Report'. It'll tell you just about everything you'll ever need to know :)

4. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

I would let the insurance company know of anything that you have had dealings with your vet over. I seem to remember that when I insured with a new Insurance company they got a past history from the vet anyway and knew of all my past consultations.

Whether to insure your dog or not is your personal choice but I insure mine for life cover as I would be too scared of them getting some ongoing condition that cost thousands a year to treat but then that's me. Without a crystal ball it's impossible to know whether you would win or lose by paying regular insurance premiums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice