Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I crate train??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by NathanbUK, Jul 24, 2009.

1. NathanbUK

NathanbUK PetForums Junior

I'm getting my little chihauhau girl Chica on 02/08/09 (10 weeks at this time), and ive seen that most peope crate train, is this the best option out there. Also I though that as shes such a small dog a crate would prevent her from running around at night time and tiring herself out as her bed could be placed in at night times. Does all this sound like a good idea???:confused:

2. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I will ALWAYS crate train any future puppies we have. Have been doing it for years and it's brilliant.

Not sure what you mean about preventing from tiring her out?? How would a crate stop that? You tire her out before you put her in the crate. If you don't use a crate she'll be able to run around which will mean wee'ing in the house.

3. NathanbUK

Its just that becuase ive read toy dogs if they were to wake up in the night they might run around alot, probably not but there sugar levels can be reduced leading to life threatning conditions becuase there so small. Should the puppy sleep in the crate or not???

4. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Yes, the puppy should sleep in a crate.

5. NathanbUK

Thankyouu. This is my first dog so most of its new, no matter how much you read up on them theres always more :s. Should be OK once she gets home.

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I began crate training my rescue's a year after having got them, I wish I had done it sooner! x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice