Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I change puppys food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by muffinpup, May 29, 2010.

1. muffinpup

muffinpup PetForums Junior

Hi everyone, we have only has Ralph our puppy for 11 days and he is 10 weeks old today.
    The breeder gave us a few days worth of Wainrights puppy food - turkey and rice flavour, he didn't eat much for the first couple of days, which was to be expected I suppose, but then for a couple of days didn't eat anything at all, we needed to buy some more anyway, and I didn't want to change brands as I know you really should stick with the same, so in the end I still got wainwights puppy but got the salmon and potato one instead, he seemed to like it and ate for a couple of days again but then has been not eating again for 2 days.
    I picked up a Eukanuba puppy pack on pets at home when I went, mainly as it was only 99p and you got a training clicker and puppy book, I wasn't too bothered about the eukanuba sample.
    This morning however as he hasn't eaten again, I opened the Eukanuba sample, I tried him with a couple of bits just to see if he would eat and he really wolfed it down.
    After a few more bits from my hand I put some in his dish, as I though it may be because it was from me that he was eating it, but again he wolfed everything in his dish.
    Now my question is, do I switch foods? I have heard that you should do it gradually and mix with usual food but he won't seem to eat the wainrights at all.
    I also wondered if it was just a fluke and that he is now so hungry and that he thought it was my own food an thats why he ate it up.
    Also if I change will that be bad for him to change suddenly like that?
    And is Eukanuba a good food?
    So many questions for such a tiny pup eh?
    All day long new questions are popping into my head, I'm sure I'll be pestering you all for a little while yet! lol

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

He's just being a fussy little boy, thinking if he doesn't eat you'll give him something better, and by giving him the eukenuba, you've just re-enforced that lol.

I think it's something all dogs do at some point the cheeky little beggars. Mind did I I did exactly the same as you, but it got to a point where I was wasting a huge amount of cash on food. Took him the vet, all was fine, vet suggested this:

Put his meal down, if he doesn't eat, leave if down for 15 minutes with a quick remind for him half way through the 15 mins. If he's not eaten it, pick it up and don't give him anything until next meal time, no treats, no other food, nothing. Then do the same next meal time, after a few missed meals he'll learn that that's his food and if he doesn't eat it, he wont be getting anything else.

My boy missed four meals in total before scoffing down his food and I think I was more bothered by it then him (worrying about him being hungry etc), I've never had a problem with him eating since then.

I've also since then, seen a lot of people on here recommend the same, it really does work. Try that before changing food, and IMO weinwrights is better than eukenuba.

3. muffinpup

Thanks for that, I have been thinking about doing this, I have been worried about him being hungry and have been leaving uneaten food out.
    I think you are right though, I think he's just being fussy and that me giving in and then leaving the food out is definatly making things worse.

I think I only opened the eukanuba this morning as it seemed so long since he had eaten, and his breath smelt a bit bad, I thought it may have been because of not eating, and I kind of felt bad for changing the flavour of the wainrights, when I should have just stuck with what he'd been having.
    I'm glad I came on here and asked this as I was thinking of going back to pets at home and wasting money on a different food, and I suspect he would have done the same thing anyway and stopped eating it again after a couple of days.
    If anything I may just get another bag of his original wainrights turkey and rice, I'm just making a rod for my own back as I think he's just being fussy and my giving in is making him worse and he'll get into bad habits.
    I'll stick with the wainrights and put the food away after if not eaten, I'm sure he'll soon learn.
    Thanks very much for your suggestions! x

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I would say he's being fussy too,cheeky thing!! lol
    You could also try adding a little warm water to his food before you give it to him,as this will release the smells and juices.

5. muffinpup

I didn't think of putting a bit of water on, I'll try that with his next meal later and see if it helps.
    Thanks for that! x

6. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

I use wainwright puppy salmon and potato for all my pups and they do very well on it....all in good health and coat and no upset tummys.
    I do always mix a wet topper of wainwrights into the complete and never have any leave their dinner.
    You could give a little scambled egg mixed with the complete or some veggies.;)

7. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

id personally stick with the WainWrights does sound like he is being fussy, my lads on WainWrights and he's doing brill on it, if you use the eukenuba you'll def find he will poo more and also they will be pongy lol plus my lad was super hyper on it, he was on this when we picked him up and we weaned him of it over a week, which is what we were advised as eukenuba is not as good as you may think.

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Oh dear, I sympathise and have been where you are. If you are thinking of putting him back on the Turkey Wainwrights, P@H will take the Salmon back and exchange or refund, no matter how much you have used.

I fell hook line and sinker into the trap and tried to tempt my pup with so many feeds and toppers that she had a v poorly tummy. My only option was to put her back on what her tummy was used to - wainwrights. She wouldnt eat it wet and the more toppers I used, the less kibble she would eat until it was all topper and no kibble. (Another tip I heard was to warm it in the microwave for a few secs to release the smells.) When I picked the food up after 15 mins, she saw this as me pandering to her whims and held out some more. I ended up putting down her daily quota in the morning and leaving it all day. She got the message but I dont think she was keen on the wainwrights.

When I put her onto adult, I got some samples of what I felt was the best in my budget and let her choose for herself. She didnt choose the one I thought, nor the one I wanted her to but she hasnt turned her nose up either.

It's amazing how such little things can manipulate and I will never know if she really wasnt keen on the wainwrights or outgrew the phase.:scared:

9. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I add a little warm water to Blades food and he loves it like that. He nearly always clears his bowl. I put his food down and take it up 10 minutes later and don't offer him anything else until the next meal. He eats very well now but was quite fussy when i first had him.

X X

10. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

When Holly was that young we added a little warm water to soften it a little and it was all gone. We'd changed her from Pedigree to Skinners.

11. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

How's Ralph doing now? He eating yet? Or still being stubborn?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice