Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I be worried about the kittens I am getting?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kidsandcats, Jul 26, 2009.

1. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

I have just been reading the posts on the cat breeding section and replied to a thread as I am a little concerned about the kittens we are getting. A lot of people talk about back street breeders and that you should avoid people who are selling kittens for big profits and not to get cats that are not pedigree with paperwork confirming parents as you could end up with a kitten who could be prone to infection or some genetic disease etc. Now, I have only ever rescued cats. My cat who I had as a child was rescued by my parents as he was a wild cat, very fierce and would scratch and bite but ended up being the most loving adorable cat you could meet. He died when he was 19 years old, my next two we got from our vets as they had been brought in by a lady who found a stray with her litter in her shed. She kept them until they were 5 months old. They lived until they were 15 years old and were very healthy up until then and died from old age. Our last two Ted and Dusty we got from Cat's Protection, they were dumped in a box in some woods not far from us. We adopted them when they were 8 weeks old. Sadly they were both killed by cars last month. I rang Cat's Protection to inform them and to ask if they had any litters this year but they only had one litter of 7 who need homing now and as we are going on holiday and can't have them until end of aug they said we should wait but couldn't guarantee whether they would have a second litter. They did reassure me and say that they had no problems with us rehoming as some might think! In the meantime I heard about a lady in my village selling kittens who works for Cat's Protection but only as a back up. So I have reserved two. Her cat has a litter of 4 and she is selling them for £50 each but she said I could have them for £75 for two. She said they will be treated for fleas, worms and fully vet checked. This is the first litter the mum has had, but they have another female cat who has had two litters over the last couple of years. She said she doesn't know who the father is but suspects it is a tabby who lives on her street. As she works for CP I presume I can trust her. Now after reading the posts on the cat breeding section I am concerned as the advice is avoid this type of breeder as you don't know what you are getting. Should I be concerned?? I mean, I never knew where all my other cats came from!

2. Shmitty!

Shmitty! PetForums Senior

Are they just ordinary cats ike moggies?? If so, then I wouldn't worry too much. It's up to you, my last kitten came from someone asking £40 and I only paid 20 stating it was for the mother to be neutered. I am presuming if this woman works for CPL she wil e doing the same, as anyone CPL knows that we do not need to breed any more moggies, particulrly with this currrent economic climate.
    Did the mother look well? Wel cared for?

3. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

If i was you i would wait for the RSPCA, I got my cat for £50, she had been vaccinated, micro chipped and it was thought she was spayed, it is the RSPCA's policy to rehome all cats as spayed/neutered but because Tilda has brain damage and scar and shaved where she would have been done they didnt want to put her at risk by putting her under to double check, no ones fault, just a mistake really.

It seems to me that this lady is trying to make money from her queen, worming and flea treatment would need to be given anyway to protect her own cat so thats not something that i would expect to pay for. Im rehoming Tildas kittens at 12wks so they have full advantage of her milk and she can toilet train them and they are weaned and happy for £60 each fully vaccinated and thats only to cover the cost of vaccinations, im not asking for extra for the worming and flea treatment. Tilda getting pregnant was an accident by the way as i was told she was spayed so let her out, i dont want people thinking im irresponsible. I also want to keep them until 12wks so i know their temperment and can make sure they are going to the right homes for them, after all...a cat chooses their slave, not the other way round! hehe

xx

4. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

I wouldnt be worried if the kittens are fully vet checked then that is what you will be paying for as initial consultations at my vet cost about £35 per cat and i know some vets charge a lot more

5. kidsandcats

They won't be neutered or spayed, she said it was up to me to do that. Looking at other people who sell kittens they are charging the same price. I got Ted and Dusty from Cat's Protection, they also said it was up to me to get them neutered, so figured this is what to expect.

They have 2 dogs, two other cats. They seemed to be well cared for and the mother looked healthy.

Sharon
    x

6. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

maybe im too soft then haha xx

7. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

I personally think the vet checking is the biggy!
    Least if a kitten has been seen by a vet, wormed and de-flead and especially if you can see mum then no need to worry, unfortunately 9/10 people selling kittens don't do any of the above.
    This is why I personally would only recommend rescue centers as its their policy to ensure this is all in order.
    Also if demand for back yard kittens diminishes hopefully it will discourage people from doing it.

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hey I wouldn't worry too much about it, most adverts I see for kittens are selling for £30 - £50, I think people these days want to make sure they are going to a good home where you can afford to look after them.

x

9. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

just replied on your other thread!!

10. kidsandcats

Yeh I think paying for them means reassurance for the breeder too. If you were giving them away you wouldn't know if the new owner was serious about looking after the pet for life. If it's an investment and you know that money isn't a problem for the new owner then you know they are going to a good home. You hear of people getting pets that can't afford them and then they don't get them neutered/spayed and don't feed them properly etc. I am sure they will be fine, just needed to hear it from others too.
    Thanks guys!
    Sharon
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice