Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I be more careful?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by abbieandchi, Jan 16, 2012.

1. abbieandchi

abbieandchi PetForums Senior

My videos on YouTube are starting to get quite a few total views and I'm starting to panic :rolleyes:

I'm always cautious about putting Phoebe's collar in videos but on my most recent one Link it's quite noticeable near the end. I mean, I doubt anyone could see the number but I guess that isn't the point.

I'm getting cautious because I have the same name (abbieandchi) for Twitter, YouTube, my blog and obviously here. Is it likely that anyone would do a bit of stalking or does that stuff not really happen anymore?

I love making the videos but obviously I don't want a really high risk of something happening. If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

2. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Me, I'd take the collar off. Being stalked is not nice, take it from me, there are so many cranks out there......:(

3. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

Im not very good with tecnical stuff but cant you make sure you blank out the collar or tag

4. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

If the collar only shows clearly at the end I would edit the video and cut out the last bit. If you were to take a still from the video and zoom it in, you would be surprised how much detail you can find.

5. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Blimey you have way too much time on your hands if these things bother you!!! Would not even have crossed my mind.

6. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Same here, I only blank out the tags if posting on public forums and if it is a picture.. wouldn't worry about videos..

7. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

Well I am more paranoid than most and never have the same user name for different forums. I never post anything on youtube and my security on Fb is as strong as it gets.

Having had a stalker it is not something I want to repeat!

8. abbieandchi

The reason I worry is because I know somebody who used to make videos of her horses, she wasn't careful enough and had 2 of her horses stolen. I know it isn't the same but I wouldn't want to do anything that could potentially put Phoebe or myself in danger.

9. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

If in the house-take 'em off

if outdoors try this
    [​IMG]
    it's called a Quiet spot

I take allot of videos and photos so this is ideal for me, it also stops any getting scratched.

[​IMG]

10. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Every time you walk the dog there is a chance someone might follow you home. I don't think a youtube video poses much of a security threat

11. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I quite agree Hawksport, but, having been stalked I will take every measure to make sure there's little chance of weirdo's finding me.

Telephone calls are scary, so if you can eliminate the detail from the discs, then I would, or make another video without the collar. Just me.:D:D

12. abbieandchi

As I said, I know someone who had their horses stolen because they made YouTube videos. I'm just a very cautious person, nothing wrong with that.

13. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Did they find who stole them?

14. Obzocky

Obzocky PetForums Member

Regarding the horse thievery:

Unfortunately, youtube videos or not, if someone spies an animal and either sees a possible profit or just takes a fancy to it there's a risk of it being stolen. The videos may have gotten the horses out there, but I rarely blame the videos for being the cause of such things. I've known people whose horses have been stolen and they don't even know how to turn a computer on, let alone post videos. It's a risk, especially with large, obvious animals that live in fields/stables that often have not exactly brilliant safety features and, even on private roads, are quite accessible.

Regarding being cyber stalker - it hapens. But as someone who has been stalked I have to say that whether your number happens to flash on the screen or whether they spot you on the street, there's the same basic chance of stalking. Nuisance calls may be an issue though, which is why I love call screening and/or letting most calls go through to voice mail then ringing back if appropriate.

If you are seriously stressed about possible stranger danger then perhaps remove the collar/get one of those handy little tag covers. As I only put the vets number on the metal actual tag and then write my own on those little slips of paper found in those capsule tags (does anyone even use those anymore?) I don't really stress about this. Perhaps I should show a little more consideration for the vet though.

Anyway:

Yes there's a chance of stalking - but this is the same chance you take when going about your daily business, especially if you have a pretty set routine.

If it's something that gets you stressed out to the point you start to freak then perhaps make the videos private and available only to subscribers/friends /people you know who have requested video access. That and invest in a tag cover.

Privacy settings are the friend of many a fearful internet user.

#14 Obzocky, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  15. abbieandchi

Unfortunately not, this was almost 2 years ago and she still to this day puts up advertisements. I don't know her incredibly well but it's such a sad story :(

16. abbieandchi

Thank you for this, really got me thinking!

I think, just to ease myself, I'll refrain from getting shots of the collar and take it off if it becomes a worry. But I won't stop making the videos, I really enjoy it!

If I do feel like something isn't right then I'll make sure I do something about it, but for now what's the point in worrying, right? :D

17. hawksport

hawksport Banned

So how do they know they were stolen because of a youtube video?
    If I wanted to steal a horse i would look in a field. If I want to steal a dog i would look on the park at 8am, follow it home and then wait for the owner to go to work

18. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Cameras on Smart-phones are so clever these days !

Such useful features like encoding the location from the phone's GPS system into the meta-data within the image, then people post the image un-edited onto the web via social media assuming that people will not recognise that particular tree etc, but all you have to do is look at the meta-data to see the location correct to 1 metre resolution. Very very easy.

Is it the technology that is at fault or the ignorance of the people using it without considering the impact or reading the manual?

Why read the manual it just works out the box innit!

19. abbieandchi

I can't really go into it on here because it's personal. But she got some very very strange emails and comments on her videos, they found her profile on a forum and got her telephone number. Next thing she knew and her horses were stolen. If not through YouTube or her profile on a forum then it's sheer coincidence I suppose.

20. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I wouldnt be having a collar with any onfo on it on a vid, i dont care the statistics of dog walking to online stalking, it happens, I know this for a fact lmao :D and it doesnt hurt to be careful, its the ones that arent that get conned or have there identity stolen etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice