Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BeauBeau, Jun 15, 2019.

1. BeauBeau

BeauBeau PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

My 2 year old cocker spaniel threw up yellowish foam yesterday morning and 3-4 hours later he threw up a lot more of what seemed to have been either the handful of snacks I gave him that morning, dinner from the night before, or something he scavenged on our walk (although I haven't seen him eating anything outside). I decided not to give him dinner last night. This morning he threw up again some yellowish foam. Less than the day before, but still. He is otherwise active, playful, shows signs of appetite (I didn't give him any food since he threw up yesterday, but he is always following me into the kitchen and looks at his bowl, so I guess he wants to eat). The only thing I gave him yesterday was this tooth cleaning snack - he gets one per day.

Has this happened to your dogs? I don't want to panic and rush to the vet. He threw up before, once or twice a day, and after fasting for 24 hours he would be fine. But he never threw up yellowish foam. He isn't lethargic or unusually quiet or lacks appetite, so I am not panicking, but still very concerned. Have you had experience with this and how did you handle it, or what were the outcomes?

Many thanks!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Yellow vomit is often from an empty tummy (hunger vomiting) so if it was me, I would feed a small bland meal like boiled chicken or white fish with rice. I know it is too late now but if it happens in future, I actually would have done that yesterday rather than starve him. Make sure he is drinking though.

3. BeauBeau

Thanks, Joanne. He did threw up once yesterday what seemed to be his dinner from night before, so first yellow foam yesterday, then food vomit a few hours later, then yellow foam this morning again. I have just been reading some articles about this online, it being a symptom of cancer or ulcers, etc. Starting to panic now a bit.

4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Yes, this is what i would do too. Agree totally with everything in @JoanneF 's post. Spot on with likely cause and solution.

lullabydream, Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I really wouldn’t worry at this point. If your dog is vomiting regularly or frequently then that’s cause for concern, but one meal and bile sounds like just a bit of a dodgy tum and not anything unusual at this point.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What time is his evening meal?

Maybe feed it later or give a biscuit before bedtime.

I wouldn’t worry about major causes just now. See if he settles with a slight change in his feeding or for time to settle after a possible upset tum.

7. BeauBeau

Thank you all. Well we had a long walk today, in the heat I must say, its very hot where we are. He is showing no signs of being unwell, I made some rice and chicken for him, and now lets see. Will give him another portion this evening. Chicken is his favourite anyway. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice