Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by All The Babies, Aug 26, 2013.

1. All The Babies

All The Babies PetForums Member

My friend and I were walking our (small) dogs this evening. They had all just responded to us telling them not to chase the nice jogger person (!) so my friend asked all three dogs to sit and give a paw and she gave them all a treat. Another dog, a large lab, only vaguely known to us, bound over and muscled in amongst our three and grabbed treats from my friends hand. At this point my sweet gentle little Ted (age 9mths) growled horribly and snapped at the lab! He didnt make contact but it really shook me up. The owner said it served her greedy dog right but I felt awful! Ted happily shares treats with more familiar dogs and this was a first. He eats with our other dog and our many cats and has never shown any possesiveness.

Does this mean he is actually prone to aggression? How should I deal with this?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would say he was telling the other dog to mind it's manners ;)

3. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

was it just an air snap? sounds to me like he was just telling the lab off, rather than being overly aggressive.

4. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

^^^
    This.

I wouldn't worry about it, he had every right to tell the rude dog off imo. :)

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I wouldn't panic at one isolated incident. Under the circumstances its understandable a strange dog muscled in with no manners and there was treats too. Most dogs will occasionally reprimand another if it doesn't like what it is doing or wants space.

6. All The Babies

It was just an air snap yes, just in the general direction of the labs chest area.

Thankyou for reassurring me. He did come out of nowhere so I guess Ted was startled as well as disgruntled.

7. Huskybob

Huskybob PetForums Member

Like others have said, I wouldn't worry too much as it's an isolated incident and it was also somewhat justified. A growl for such rude behaviour I would say would be perfectly acceptable, though you tend not to want to have your dog air snapping even if it is justified as some other dogs will react to it with aggression.

There are many dogs who wouldn't have been as reserved as yours :)

8. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

The Lab was the canine version of a person barging in a queue and pushing others aside. You'd probably snap if someone did that to you, no?

I'd say your dog was justified :)

9. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

if he had done that with Amber, he would have got a good telling off her as she 1 is getting a treat and everyone else can F off, and 2 he came out of nowhere so that's even worse.

10. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Mine does this to dogs with dogs who have no mannors especially labs ^^''

11. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Unfortunately, many labs allow their belly override their head!

The dog has learnt this because he/she has been fed by other dog walkers in the past.

12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think it was perfectly normal behaviour. I would not worry at all.

What is it with labs. We have just had a night away with the caravan and they seem to abound. While walking the dogs I met one that came over and then growled like mad and was about to pounce when the owner managed to grab it and apologise. Another one that was very polite and ignored my dogs and another that was very friendly and had a little meet and greet and then another that lunged around on the lead in a very aggressive manner. Candy must be learning to read dogs better because she was off lead and stepped to one side of the path and waited with her tail down till the dog was dragged by then trotted happily on to catch up with me.

13. All The Babies

Good to know I dont need to muzzle him and call in a behaviourist just yet then!

Treats or no treats around, my other dog, Dolly, has this endearing little trick of just leaping into my arms when big dogs get too close! Im only 5ft so its easy! I think she just doesnt like getting her toes trodden on!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice