Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lotlot, Jan 3, 2012.

1. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

I recently started Finlay on a semi raw and it has been going ok. I started with pre-made minced chicken which he has been fine with.

Over the last few days I've been introducing some raw meaty bones. He has had chicken wings and thighs on different occasions. He has always been one to gulp down his food so I tried holding it whilst he ate but he wasn't interested. However, when I placed them on the floor he was very happy to chew away. I have been watching him closely whilst he eats, and it seems that he eats chunks of bone, instead of really chewing. Should I be concerned about this? I had a sleepless night last night, because I kept worrying that something would happen to him whilst I wasn't there.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you :)

2. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Flint doesn't chew them either,he crunches chicken wings twice and then down they go.:eek:

There has never been a problem with him.:thumbup1:

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Mine often pass pieces of bone in their stools, I wouldn't worry too much, it's nice for dogs to learn to chew them a little if they've been used to kibble, as their digestive system may not be quite up to the job for raw. If he's been having chicken for a few weeks or more I wouldn't worry too much though :)

4. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

I will not bore you with biology but simply say the reason for chewing with dogs is not the same as for humans. The only reason a dog chews is to be able to cut the food into small enough pieces to swallow. If it's "down the hatch.." no problems are likely.

It may be the case that a dog sometimes misjudges the size, regurgitates the food up and chews a bit more before swallowing it again (possibly with a "frothy saliva"). If this occurs once in a while do not panic, it's natural. It shouldn't be a regular occurence though. We've had this ourselves when starting the dogs with turkey necks.

#4 Goblin, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice