Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Should I be concerned about eye problem?

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Tenton, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Tenton

Tenton PetForums Newbie

My sinaloan milk snake has developed some whitish cloudiness in his left eye and what might be a little bit of swelling around it(?) I researched this online and it seems like it's either some left over dead skin from shedding or a gland or tear duct blockage. He did just shed about two weeks ago. I only noticed this problem about four days ago but it could have been there earlier and I just didn't see. Unfortunately I threw out the shed in the garbage without checking it, so I can't go back and check if it's missing one of the eye caps. There isn't much humidity in my apartment, especially in the summer when we have the central AC on all the time, so I'm thinking maybe that's part of it? I sprinkled his tank with water from a spray bottle yesterday, so I'm hoping that helps a little. I attached some pictures, I know they're pretty poor (sorry, my phone's camera isn't the best) but if anyone's seen this before could you let me know what your experience with it is? It's the left eye with the problem, some of the pics are of his right side for comparison.

Attached Files:

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Hmmmm.... it's very hard to tell from the pics are they're not very clear of his eye. Can you get any better ones?

My king occasionally leaves an eyecap and it's normally easy-ish to tell that's what has happened. How good is your snake for handling? What I do with my boy when he has a retained eye cap is pop him in the sink with some tepid water (not hot/warm or cold as that will be too much for him) and *gently* dunk his head a little (that sounds worse than it is, sometimes he does it himself anyway) and let him slither up (I don't hold him down at all), just so he gets his head wet through. Then I use a soft cloth and let him crawl through it but hold it somewhat firmly so he has to rub his head through it. That normally gets it off. If you look very closely you can normally see the edges of a retained cap.

OR, if that doesn't sound like something your snake will tolerate (mine is very good being handled luckily), then you can get some sphagnum moss, wet it so it's moist, and put it in a hide. Hopefully he'll use the hide and the shed will come off. If you say your place can be quite dry anyway, it might be worth using the moss everytime you see he's in shed as it adds some humidity to help shed. Put it in a separate hide so he can choose whether he wants to use it or not.

If it doesn't look like a retained eye cap, then get him to the vet.

3. Tenton

Tenton PetForums Newbie

Managed to get him to stay still enough for a couple more photos before I left this morning, hopefully these are a little clearer.

Aside from being a little twitchy he is generally pretty good with handling, so I think the technique with getting him wet and having him crawl through the washcloth could work. I will give that a try, thank you. I actually do keep some moss in his tank as a permanent feature, he goes in there from time to time although it's kind of out in the open, maybe I can situate it better so it's better hidden.

Thank you for your help. If the soft cloth technique doesn't work or if the cloudiness in the eye doesn't resolve on its own in a few more days, I will set up a vet appointment.

Attached Files:

4. dingal2000

dingal2000 PetForums VIP

That I believe is definitely a left over cap, try as suggested by the O/P if you know your snake it going in to shed you could try to introduce a Humid hide which has benefits to shedding snakes

5. Tenton

Tenton PetForums Newbie

It turns out it was a left over eye cap, and the technique with having him crawl through a cloth worked. Thanks for your help!

Teddy-dog likes this.
  6. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Great to hear!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice