UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hold my hands up and say that I haven't given Cuddles a bath since February/March time this year because last time I gave her a bath she freaked out on me and I have been scared of giving her a bath since because I have to keep her stress levels down because she has a heart condition called HCM. I have tried the dry foam stuff but she freaked out at the sound of the canister spraying as I was putting the foam in my hand to massage it into her.

I want to bath her but don't know if I should, she doesn't smell or anything as she is an indoor cat. Do you think I should bath her or do you have any suggestions on any other dry bathing products I could use that isn't going to cause her to freak out?

·
Mentored by Meeko
26,455 Posts
Personally if it is not something your cat is used to/comfortable with then I would say no.
I wouldnt even think of bathing Meeko :eek: unless there was a very good reason.
As far as I know they have not invented a shampoo guaranteed to protect skin(mine) :eek:

·
Meeoow!
9,400 Posts
No I wouldn't, you say she doesn't smell at all so if it ain't broke don't fix it!! She sounds like she is doing a good enough job of bathing herself..... And as you say she doesn't need the extra stress!!!

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
You don't normally need to bath cats, especially indoor ones. The only reason I do mine is because they are Persians and need it, and I'm a hygiene freak and am happier knowing they are washed regularly. However, in your case, I really wouldn't. If you want to make her smell super nice and remove grease, brush some baby talc through her coat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't think so, I shouldn't think I'll ever bath Inka. I know my mum has given her cats a rub with a warm wet flannel when they have got something nasty on them but they were long haired outdoor cats.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I would never bath a cat unnecessarily. It causes too much stress for both parties ;)

Darcy has had a couple of quick dips in the sink and a little scrub with baby shampoo, but only when shes had an accident down her trousers or on her feet :rolleyes:

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Bathing isn't necessary, as far as I'm concerned. Molly needed bathing a couple of times as she was long haired and had a dicky tummy (you can see where I'm going with this :eek:), but that's the only time it's been an issue.

Spooks, quite frankly, has grooming OCD so is super clean anyway :lol:

As it's stressful and Cuddles isn't in need of a bath, I'd leave it. Cats are naturally the definition of cleanliness :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
BATH!!!! A CAT!!!!!! :eek: :tongue_smilie:

This is literally something I've never heard of!!! And my parents were Persian breeders and I've grown up with pedigrees and moggies all my life!!

I think we my have had to bathe the Persians behind if they had a runny tummy and it got in their fur but that's it.

Unless Cuddles is dirty or had an accident I wouldn't worry about bathing! It'll save you both some stress ;) xx

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Sia, I don't know how your mum managed to breed Persians and not bath them. I can only imagine the coats weren't in great condition, either that or I'm missing a trick that I'd be really grateful if you could share!

The fact is that if a cat is used to bathing from a young age, then it's no more stressful for them than having a brush or having their nails clipped. Mine have a great time playing with pingpong balls, light up rubber duckies etc that I use to get kittens used to the idea that a bath is a fun place to be.

However, if they've never or rarely been bathed, then unless you're planning to try and get them used to being bathed regularly, a bath is not something I'd consider unless they absolutely needed one.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sia, I don't know how your mum managed to breed Persians and not bath them. I can only imagine the coats weren't in great condition, either that or I'm missing a trick that I'd be really grateful if you could share!

The fact is that if a cat is used to bathing from a young age, then it's no more stressful for them than having a brush or having their nails clipped. Mine have a great time playing with pingpong balls, light up rubber duckies etc that I use to get kittens used to the idea that a bath is a fun place to be.

However, if they've never or rarely been bathed, then unless you're planning to try and get them used to being bathed regularly, a bath is not something I'd consider unless they absolutely needed one.
Well as I said I was a kid and don't ever remember them being bathed unless they had had an accident. They won at various shows so obviously their coats were very clean and healthy. I remember having to brush them all the time though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well as I said I was a kid and don't ever remember them being bathed unless they had had an accident. They won at various shows so obviously their coats were very clean and healthy. I remember having to brush them all the time though.
It's alright as I said above I value my skin so will not be bathing her :D

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
The only thing I can think is that she may have bathed them when you'd gone to bed. They really do need it, especially for show prep. Either that or, as I say, I'm missing a trick that I need to learn. Bathing is very time consuming!

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
The only time I have bathed a cat is when she shot up the chimney :eek: so it was necessary ;)

by the way, my old school friend had a black cat called cuddles... such a sweet name but her cat was far from sweet or cuddly... he was a monster tom and everyone was afraid of him.. which is why I laugh when I hear the name ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.