Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Should I accept this offer?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Narc, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Narc

Narc PetForums Newbie

I have a one year old male Welsh Pembroke Corgi that I bought from a local breeder to be an emotional support animal. From the beginning, some of my relatives tried to convince me I should breed him because he's pure bred and has papers. While I admit I had always thought about breeding corgis, before I even had the opportunity to buy him, after hearing the way people talked about it I began to have some doubts and worries about the whole breeding idea.

I could really use the extra income, but I would feel weird about basically exploiting my best friend for money. Plus I worried about the potential conflict of interests, since this dog's purpose is supposed to be supporting me by providing companionship, and I worry that he might lose interest in me if he's preoccupied with females.

However, the breeder I bought him from has sold her stud dog and recently asked me if I would be willing to let her regular client use my dog for breeding. I said that I would be okay with that, (and maybe it's just my Anxiety talking,) but since I've been thinking about it and looking up some stuff about dog breeding I'm not entirely sure if I should accept this offer. Any advice from experienced breeders would be appreciated. Please note that my main concern is how this may or may not affect my personal relationship with my dog.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

The first thing you would need to do is get your dog health tested for problems within the breed. This is more than a once over at the vet, and can be expensive in itself. If you don’t do this, you have no idea what genetic problems your dog could be passing on. I’m worried that your dog’s Breeder wants to use him without these tests - that’s generally not the sign of an ethical Breeder. I’d also worry about the fact your Breeder has a ‘regular’ client - how often is this person breeding???

Generally you would want your dog to be a good example if the breed and you would choose females that compliment him so that their puppies are the best examples of the breed that they can be.

You are right to be hesitant in my opinion - it is not unusual for males to have a change in temperament after being used at stud.

Just because your dog is purebred and still has his testicles does NOT mean he should necessarily be bred from.

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yes, listen to yourself, not your idiotic relatives. And read the above post on health testing and other ethical breeding issues.

4. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

This. With bells on.

There’s far more to standing a dog at stud than just pointing him at a bitch in season and letting him get on with it. This article explains the realities of it quite succinctly.

If breeding responsibly is something that interests you then get involved with the breed community, learn as much as you can about the breed as well as the process of breeding and raising a litter (the KC Novice Breeder Checklist, the AKC Guide to Responsible Breeding, the Dog Breed Health site, the Institute of Canine Biology, Puppy Culture and The Puppy Plan are good places to start) and, most importantly, surround yourself with knowledgeable and responsible breeders who can help and support you through the process.

#4 SingingWhippet, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  5. blakesmum

blakesmum PetForums Junior

Hi Narc, from my own personal experience, once your boy has been used at stud, it often can change their personality. They may become more determined to run off if walked off-lead, if they get the scent of an in season bitch, which they can smell a mile off. Scent marking indoors is a common occurrence, and challenging other males out on walks is a strong possibility. Hat off to you for not jumping in blind and for asking other's experiences and opinions. According to Champdogs, there are no health tests currently for your breed under the ABS, but do read the articles that SingingWhippet has gave you the links to, breeding in not for the faint hearted

6. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

And what would your dog gain from being pimped by the breeder? what would YOU gain? no you should not accept this offer, so many of these breeders are utter piss takers that are just looking to make money.

lullabydream, Narc and simplysardonic like this.
  7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The possible changes in character that could occur if this dog was used for breeding - given that he's an emotional support dog - rings alarm bells. And whilst extra cash always comes in handy, stud fees don't amount to that much. Even if there are no recommended health tests, it would still be wise to make sure he's clear of herpes, which can be transferred to the puppies, leads to them failing to thrive or even die.

lullabydream, Narc and simplysardonic like this.
  8. grace88

grace88 PetForums Junior

i wouldnt - the personality changes are not worth it!!

My lad is a lovely example of his breed - and have been asked twice now about studding him. Hes just been castrated... thats how i feel on the topic!

Narc and lorilu like this.
  9. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

As money seems tight as you say you could really use the extra income It's not a good idea as the initial health testing your dog would need before breeding will cost you a lot. As also mentioned, with a potential service dog I would not want to risk the possible temperament changes e.g becoming much more scent orientated and perhaps unfocused on you and your needs. Doesn't happen with all males, but it is a risk, and you will never know how your dog will alter until the deed is done which of course makes it to late should your dog then go on to change.

http://www.dogbreedhealth.com/welsh-corgi-cardigan-and-pembroke/

http://pwcca.org/about-pembrokes/breeding-genetics/ ( American breed club as I'm assuming you're from the US )

The above links provide the info you need regarding health testing.

Narc likes this.
  10. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

This would set alarm bells ringing for me.

The Breeder here has had a stud dog and has a 'regular' client, who obviously brought her bitches to him.

This is not responsible breeding. A conscientious owner of a stud would be selective which bitches he mated and certainly not any old bitch owned by one woman.

I would say no. You have very little to gain from such an arrangement. Enjoy your dog as a pet and companion.

Narc likes this.
  11. Narc

Narc PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for the information and advice you've provided. I've decided to heed your warnings and not stud my dog.

boxermadsam, evel-lin, lorilu and 3 others like this.
  12. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

Well done you, that sounds like the right decision and so nice when someone comes on this forum for advice and then actually listens to people. I hope you and your boy have loads of happy times together.

Narc likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice