Should dogs have a bedtime?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by DianasMom, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DianasMom

DianasMom PetForums Junior

I feel the need to apologize for posting so often with new questions (although I don't think anyone minds much. That's what it's for..) but, since this is the first dog I've ever really trained (I've had 3 before her, but I was much younger), I wonder a lot about this stuff. I have been trying to set a bedtime schedule for my puppy, but it feels like I'm not supposed to? If not a specific time, she just goes to bed when I do, either willingly, or I tell her to. Since she's gone to puppy daycare, her bedtime has been around 6pm, after she's picked up because she's clearly exhausted. She tries to stay up sometimes, but it's just her way of fighting sleep. I tell her to get in bed and to lay down. She will, but sometimes she gets up again, and I tell her the same thing. She's more irritable when she's tired and has fits more. I want to set her a schedule to keep her in sync with me, but I haven't found anything online supporting it. Is it "wrong"? Or maybe frowned upon or something? Does anyone have a schedule for their pup?

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums Member

No I don't think there's anything wrong about it (though i haven't seen anything saying it is wrong, mind!)
    Puppies do get cranky and tired and don't know when to stop so a schedule of rest times and play times based around their feeding times makes sense.

Whether you enforce a schedule on them from the start or are completely flexible is your choice, though i suspect eventually most older pups and dogs settle into a fairly predictable routine naturally

I have a very rigid bedtime for my 7 month old pup. I never pre planned or intended for it to happen.

When we first brought her home at 8 weeks, we were intending for her to spend her evenings with us in the living room but she just would not settle at all
    She kept barking and was very restless so pretty quickly (i don't think we had even had her a week) we popped her to her bedtime crate which was upstairs in our bedroom at that time and she settled immediately.

Every evening from then on, we put her to bed at 7.15 exactly! And she never made any complaint at all
    In some ways it is a bit of a shame because she isn't with us during the evenings but it is ever so handy if we go out during the evening as we know she is perfectly happy sleeping
    I still pop her out at midnight for a toilet but then she sleeps all through the night til 9 ish normally!

I am at home with her all day. She will settle by me during the day but i don't think she really sleeps soundly at all during the day - slightest noise and her head is up. But in her night crate i know she is spark out as i can clatter about in the kitchen and she never stirs at all

I have an older dog (5 yrs) he does spend his evenings with us sleeping. His bed is a cushion in the livingroom. We don't mind whether he sleeps on his cushion or on the floor and don't tell him to go onto his cushion but, every evening, about 10 mins before we go up to bed he takes himself off to his cushion, puts all 4 legs in the air and goes into a very deep sleep!

I personally find routines work very well for babies, toddlers and puppies. But there's no rules as such, do what works for you and your pup!

DianasMom likes this.
  3. DianasMom

DianasMom PetForums Junior

Thanks so much for your reply. There are many people in my ear daily saying I do too much over my dog, but she is my baby. All my pets are treated special. All the dog owners in my family have dogs that are different, they don't need routines. But, like you said, if it fits us, then who cares? My dog is different, like you say your two dogs are different. One has a bed time, the other sleeps to their liking. I think for us the schedule is needed. I go to school, she goes to daycare. People say I should just leave her home, but I love that she can play with the other dogs. Puppies need exercise. Animal loves, like us on this forum, understand what our dogs need. And none of us see these things as "too much". Sorry to vent real quick, I just wanted to express my appreciation to you and everyone else who answers these forums. You all understand that a pet is family.