Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shorty has cherry eye :(

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Starlite, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Its been going on for a few months now (both eyes). The vet has attempted massage, steriod creams and stitching it back in but to no avail :(

We have informed her breeder and she is being spayed in March to avoid any mishaps as apprently it can pass on. I know it isnt hurting her but Im sick of the comments, someone called her a devil dog because of it, poor thing!

Ah well, useless thread but there you go x

2. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about the treatments not working for Shorty. I know it's not easy but try to ignore the silly comments, they're mostly borne out of ignorance. My college tutor's pet dog had a cherry eye and it didn't affect her at all, that's all that matters :)

3. DT

DT Banned

Sorry to hear your dog has this problem, have seem it several times, suspected my dog had it when we got him but it seems not. That said he's had two operations on his eye.
    The vet can uder GA put the gland back so I am told, just wondered if your vet has mentioned this or you know anything about it as I don't know a lot.

4. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

yeah hun the vet has tried stitching it back but it popped and its not fair to put her under GA again for vanity reasons. It doesnt bother her in the slightest so I think I just need to copy her cheerful disposition :)

5. Nagini

Nagini Guest

they really are best off being removed if left they can become infected. know folks worry about dry eye but they`ll get that anyway if the glands become blocked due to cherry eye.
    snipping them off is done under a local. x

6. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Bless poor girl hope she stays well :( your baby must be getting big now too :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice