Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shook up this morning

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Apollo2012, May 17, 2019.

1. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

Sorry bit of a rant, I don't post here much these days but this morning has me ridiculously shaken up and angry

I was walking my daughter to school with Apollo when i spot one of our new neighbours in the village he's really nice only problem is he has a huge dog looks like an american bulldog x staffy and must be twice the weight of Apollo and it doesnt like Apollo at all. I've already had to block it from going for him before. Problem is the owner doesn't keep it on a lead. Anyway i didnt think it was with him as it usually walks ahead and we hadnt seen it. We were about to cross the road when it came hurtling out of someones front garden at Apollo and hit him like a bulldozer, if Apollo hadnt been on a lead he would've flown into the road and it then started going for Apollo grabbing his face and neck thankfully Apollo has a thick collar and had his halter on which i think saved him from serious damage along with his thick ruff, it came at him at least 3 times while the owner stood back and did nothing while i kept shouting at it and putting myself between them. Apollo even fought back eventually and got hold of it the last time it came at him, after that and me kicking out at it, it went off, swiftly followed by his owner and a muttered sorry still not putting it's lead on.

My poor daughter who's only 8 just stood there completely freaked out after watching her best friend get attacked, me shaking with adrenaline, Apollo all worked up.

Managed to finish the school run and get home, thankfully school is only a 5 minute walk each way, so got Apollo home and thoroughly checked him over thankfully if there's any damage it will be bruising as i couldn't find any wounds so he's probably going to be sore. He's now attached to my hip and I'm trying to calm myself down.

I'm just so angry aswell, he knows his dog isnt dog friendly and he also knows i have a daughter i walk to school with my dog at the same time each day, i live in a tiny village and know most of the dog owners here as Apollo loves other dogs, a lot of the owners are older and have old or small dogs, some people have puppies, i cant imagine what could've happened if it had been them

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

That is awful! Im so sorry to hear this .
    What an irresponsible man. I hope you will report him.

lullabydream likes this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Deep breaths,

He really needs reporting to the dog warden.

Even if Apollo was say reactive anyway, you wouldn't walk him off lead. It's always the idiots who do...there's a bloke that always walks a Staffy off lead where I live or shall I say did.... Yes the Staffy mumbled along waited at kerbs always looked more shut down than anything however a few years ago I was walking one of mine and that dog tried to fly at my dog. The panic in the numpties owner face, and no lead he did grab the dog though. Then cursed his dog!
    He must have been reported though because the dog is now walked with a lead and a muzzle!

4. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

That must have been so upsetting for you all, what an idiot he sounds. If it were me I would probably drop a note through his door politely telling him how traumatised you and your daughter were by what happened and how you are now concerned that Apollo will be wary of other dogs. I would suggest that he should keep his dog on a lead and under control in future to avoid the risk of a similar event occurring. If he ignores you and continues to walk the dog around off lead and out of control then I would contact the dog warden.

Lurcherlad, Vicbloss and Apollo2012 like this.
  5. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

Problem is we dont have a dog warden here so the only people i can ring is police.

I dont want to cause issues with neighbours so I'm going to speak to him about keeping the dog on a lead and if he doesn't that i will be reporting him as i have witnesses that saw it happen, I'll also be warning everyone in the village about the dog as i dont want anyone else's dog to get hurt

Apollo can be reactive towards strangers if they interact with him so I'm always very aware of the law and keeping him under control, he's always on the lead. Kind of ironic that the tools i use for my own peace of mind with him like his gentle leader and his harness basically saved him from getting ripped up this morning

6. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Oh no that's awful!
    Things like this are really scarey aren't they and leave you really shaken up.
    I would say you should definitely have a word with him and ask him to now keep his dog on a lead, hopefully now he's seen what can happen he will be responsible enough to do that.
    I hope your daughter is ok, poor little lass, she shouldn't have to witness this kind of thing happening to her dog and her mum on the way to school.
    I hope all three of you will be okay and there will be no lasting effects from this incident.

7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I wouldn't bother to talk to him. If he cared, he would have stopped his dog before it happened. His behavior is hostile. Report it to the police. Get a case number. Let the police talk to him. That's their job. To protect you and your daughter from scenes like that.

Burrowzig, westie~ma, Cleo38 and 7 others like this.
  8. Vicbloss

Vicbloss PetForums Junior

So sorry to hear about what happened to all three of you. Sounds awful.
    I can only second trying to sort it out with your neighbour yourself though, however objectionable he might be.
    I had a similar incident not so long ago and was told by the council to report to police and was told by the police that if they came to every incident of a dog being off lead (I checked that they understood it was rather more than that) that is all they would do.

Apollo2012 likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It is a Police matter as the guy is breaking the law having a dog dangerously out of control.

When Jack was attacked I reported it to the Police and an officer came to my house, took my statement and located the owner and gave her a 12 month control order and the dog had to be kept on a leash at all times in public. Any repeat in the 12 months and the owner would have faced more serious consequences.

Out of control
    Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

• injures someone
    • makes someone worried that it might injure them
    A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if either of the following apply:

• it attacks someone’s animal
    • the owner of an animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal
    Unquote

Added to that, you had an 8 year old child with you - extremely vulnerable in such a situation.

If the guy is objectionable, then getting the Police to deal with him would be my preference tbh otherwise he might be inclined to try and bully you.

#9 Lurcherlad, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Burrowzig, westie~ma, Sarah H and 5 others like this.
  10. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

How awful for all three of you. x You must have been terrified.
    This is 100% the other dog owners fault, his dog was not under his control.

I'm inclined to agree with the other posters about going to the police. You say, the other dog "doesn't like Apollo", which means something has happened before with this dog, and the owner should know this and have his dog under his control, whether Apollo is around or not. I suspect Apollo isn't the only dog he doesn't like, and it's likely his dog has done this to other dogs as well. One day, this dog may seriously injure another dog, or have a serious injury itself.
    This owner obviously doesn't care, otherwise he would have tried to do something or have at least apologised. He's very irresponsible, and I wouldn't trust going to speak to someone like that.

Completely agree, this is a police matter. It's not as if this is a one-off.

I hope you're all okay. x

11. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

This honestly drives me mad it's not hard to use a lead. At the very least apologise. Sorry this happened. I think he should be ashamed especially as a child was there. I hope apollo is ok x

Jackie C likes this.
  12. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I really doubt talking to him will do anything. His dog has had a go at Apollo before today, if he were going to do anything about it he would have had the dog on a lead. I'd just go ahead and report him personally.

Hope you're all okay and Apollo isn't too sore.

13. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Remind him that under the DDA a dog doesn’t actually have to bite a person to be in contravention of it. Also, if this happens and you get bitten in the process (heaven forbid) he and his dog will be in serious trouble with the law.

What an idiot.

Jackie C and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone. Logically i know i should contact the police, but feel like i should give him a chance, he's always seemed like a nice guy just blind to how to care for his dog and to how much damage his dog could cause.

Apollo's no angel which is why i keep him on his lead because of his fear aggression sometimes towards people. I knew from the get go that Apollo and the other dog wouldnt get on because it just completly stiffened up and stared at him when it saw him and I've seen that stance enough times to know, then last week i spotted the dog before it got close so kept myself between them before it could kick off, it just competly caught me off guard this morning even Apollo didnt realise it was there until it was launching itself at him. He was very wary this afternoon as we walked past their flat as he knows it lives there and a bit unsettled while out im hoping he'll get better though we're going to do some fun walks next week. I'm going to seriously consider speaking to the police tomorrow about it. Will it matter if i wait? I feel so lucky that the dog didnt manage to draw blood but can see it's affected him. I might ask a friend if i can take their girl dog out next week who Apollo's friends with so he has someone to have a play with on a walk

15. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Sorry to hear your had to go through this but the bottom line is this has happened before & you and probably others know this idiot has this dog off lead and yet no one has actually reported it! Whats everyone waiting for? Until it kills someones dog or rips a person or child open or worse - REPORT IT NOW before something happens and everyone starts saying 'oh that happened to us - Oh its well know that the idiot leaves it to wonder off lead etc etc' - It really gets my back up & I am speaking from experience here having had a dog attack my husband who was protecting me and our 16 year old dog - we reported it there and then as my husband bled - out of the blue 6 others were suddenly telling us this was not the first time - Go report it now before you are sorry or your dog pays for it - rant over (sorry I am so angry about things like this, not you personally)

Burrowzig, Jackie C, AmsMam and 4 others like this.
  16. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

I totally agree that you should contact the police about this , your daughter could easily have got caught up in the scuffle between the dogs

westie~ma and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Vicbloss

Vicbloss PetForums Junior

But what did the police actually do? In fairness, what can they do with idiots like the OP's neighbour? Perhaps they took action to rectify the problem but I can't help but thinking that, if anything, all they did was conduct a PR exercise.
    Like I say, in my situation, they could not have been less interested. They didn't even let me report it.
    The OP seems to have a decent relationship with the neighbour so I still say worth dropping a note round or having a chat.
    Best of luck OP whatever you decide and hope nothing like this ever happens again.

18. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Off lead dog on a public highway is deemed to be 'out if control' as the dog was in our situation, which is against the law. The OP's daughter could well have been attacked by the dog had she tried to protect her pet or had started screaming & running away which could have made the off lead dog take chase! In our case the dog had jumped a five bar fence on to a public highway to get to my dog, my husband stood in front of me & my dog & shouted at the dog who bit his arm drawing blood thru a thick jacket - the idiot owner standing the other side of the fence watching! I took pics of husbands arm police were called took statements, others then also said similar had happened. We said we didnt want harm to dog and we were happy to have it muzzled & kept behind their gate - which he agreed to comply with & has continued to do so .

Lurcherlad likes this.
  19. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

This:
    Unless people use the Dog Law and report these people and the Police are urged to take it seriously, nothing will change.

It’s against the law to have a dog out of control in public.

20. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

Thank you everyone. I will be reporting it today. I had a message from another lady last night who i know and she saw the whole thing from the beginning and she said what she saw was horrendous and that she is happy to be a witness. I hate to cause trouble but the more i think about the more worried i am for other people and their dogs as well as my own, the fact it was off lead by a busy road during the school run, he'd just let it wander into someones garden (the ladies garden it was in has an old golden retriever that likes to sit out there in the daytime so i dread to think what could've happened to her) and the fact he didn't even warn me the dog was around. I'd smiled and said hello and he said nothing it all just keeps going through my mind. I just want the police to tell him to keep it on a lead and under control.

Just got home from work this morning. Apollo's doing ok just still very much attached to my hip

FAW56, Burrowzig, picaresque and 7 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice