Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

shocking discovery!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by myzoo, Jun 6, 2010.

1. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

:shocked:look what my new hamster left for me picture unclear as i cant touch them but managed to get a little photo from top of cage not sure how many think theres about 6 my god why am i having all theese suprises just lately ive never had hamster babies before so any advice would be helpfull i know not to touch them untill they have fur ect i know to give mum plenty of protein iam still in shock just found em now after a long night at work iam happy worried shocked confused just about every emotion you can get i have at the minute i didnt even know she was pregnant she didnt even get bigger at all she must av been kept with males before i got her but they told me she had been kept on her own and couldnt be put with any others so iam very confussed only had her about 2 weeks:)
    [​IMG]

2. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Congratulations granny :thumbup:

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Ooooops, you need to do very little tbh, feed mum a good diet, she will need a little extra protein as you said and will eat a lot more than normal, then avoid going anywhere near the cage for about two weeks, until they have their eyes open and are fully furred.

4. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

My best advice would be to not let tdm sex them for you or you will end up with hundreds x :lol:

5. thedogsmother

:eek: :eek: :eek: Im glad Im stealing your birthday cake now:p.

6. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I would also take the picture to the pet shop and say "OK so you're going to provide me with all the food and bedding I need to see them grow old enough to be re homed right?".

I once bought a guinea pig that look so sorry for itself from a local garden centre pet department. She had 4 babies not long after. I went straight to them and told them they were paying for their upkeep ... and they did :D I hope that also made them check and double check the sexes from then on too!

8. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

:):):)thanks guys i couldnt wait to post the news even though iam still in shock my heart nearly stopped coudnt beleive it i thought i was seeing things why dose this keep happening to me first the ratties now the dwarf hamster i hope i dont get anymore suprises as cute as they are iam bursting at the seems now i really do have a zoo i might start charging people to visit my place my very own petting zoo thanks again guys i will post more pics when they older dont want to put them at risk by disturbimg them thanks for the advice its very much appreciated:):):)

9. thedogsmother

My dwarf hammy Spike gave birth a week after I got her, I knew she was pregnant (or suspected) as she looked pregnant a few days before, so it wasnt such a shock. She still lives with her daughters and it is possible to keep them together in same sex colonies if you are careful about cage layout etc. With dwarfs at least you dont need to get each one a cage like you do with syrians.

10. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

:):)hi i adopted her from a pet shop because they said she couldnt be sold as she was a lone dwarf nobody would want her because as well she has a slight head tilt so i couldnt resist adopting her but i doubt the pet shop will give me any cages and stuff they very un helpfull and uncaring like when i seen her i asked about why she was on her own as i was concerned about the way she looked and they said if you are that concerned take her they just wanted rid of her i think because she was using up the space that they could have others in that they could make money from money is all a lot of petshops care about iam not too worried about cages as i have a few spare hamster cages iam worried incase we need a vet visit or anything gose wrong i will still mention it to them but i just dont have the time or energy to push for anything from them thanks anyway :):)

11. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Congratulations.. well its all go on here tonight with babies.....

12. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

:( Well she obviously was not a lone hammy for at least a few moments!

Ugh I hate irresponsible pet shops!

I think one of the reasons why I got a deal from the garden centre was because I worked for the local paper and they knew it, so I can understand you not wanting a fuss. I would let them know anyway though.

13. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

:):mad:i know so do i thats why i never buy animals from them i only went in to have a nosie because it had just opened and i saw her and i dread to think what might have happened to her if i hadnt adopted her i had absolutly no idea she was pregnant she didnt show at all i will let them nkow but not holding my breath and im not to bothered like tdm said at least they dont need lots of individual cages i would have been buggered if it was a syrian i think the pet shop must have known thre was achance she was pregnant she must have been with a male at some point or its a miracle thanks for your replys guys its appreciated:):):):)

14. momentofmadness

Very dangerous this just nosieyin, Especially with the condition you have... LMAO.... But atleast she has a great home and will be loved, and receive all the TLC in the world... with the help of our adoring comments..lol

15. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

:lol: i know iam dangerous when it comes to sweet face peeping out from under the bed its you guys on these forums thats made me furrie mad since joining the forums i have aquired 4more rats and 3 more hamsters and 13 rat babies and i think about 6-7 dwarfs now iam been over run its contagous joining these forums just makes you want more furries and as long as you can give em the care and attention they need why not:) i love them and your comments just makes me want more so iamoff to bed before i get anymore ideas my OH would kill me if i even mentioned another poor little critter he knows to well i would never refuse a helpless little furrie right bed time night night guys thanks for the help and comments i will definatly keep you posted cant resist i love a good old brag and i love even more the comments i get back (i know iam a show off):):thumbup::sleep::sleep:thanks again guys:)

16. momentofmadness

Nanite.. xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice