Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shocked..Grabbed by the throat

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gsd_mad, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Took Razor out early evening, had a good run around our local park/field, as we were coming out, there were two dogs, both off lead, both small, one of them came upto Razor, both had a good sniff of one another, next thing, on the blink of an eye, the other small dog, came flying upto Razor, jumped up, and got hold of his throat :eek: the owner managed to grab it off, before it did any damage, just couldn't believe it, never got to say anything, was shocked more than anything!!

The two best things, it didn't break any skin on Razor, and Razor just stood there whilst it happened, never went to attack the little dog or nothing, bless him :)

2. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

What a good boy for not attacking back - I bet he was just as shocked as you were! Hope you are both ok.

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

aww what a good boy for not getting them back, Its not nice tho :(

4. kath123

kath123 Guest

The exact same thing happened to my sister with her German Shephard unfortunately my sister got bitten as she had to split them up as the yorkie head ended up in persia mouth!!!!!:(:(

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I bet that dog won't be let off the lead anytime soon :eek:

6. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Your poor sister! Hope she recovered.

Well when this had happened, and this dogs owner had taken there dog away from Razor, the guy turned around and headed back the way he was coming, so I guess that dogs run was out the question.
    This is why I say 'all' dogs should be on a lead. If it had been the other way around and Razor had attacked this little dog, I imagine there would have been 'big' consequences to pay :mad:

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

You're completely right. My two are never let off; only in secluded areas and when I see another dog coming I put them straight back on the lead.

8. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

its a shame isnt it as all dogs love to run without restrictions, we cant always do this , i dont if i see other dogs within eye site and as soon as i do i get my dogs on their leads asap, not that my dogs would attack but fear of other dogs attacking mine. There have been alot of posts on here recently about peoples dogs being attacked , is this the norm or is the summer driving them mad or the irresponsible owners letting the wrong dogs off their leash???:eek:ut:

9. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

When i am out with my dogs and they are off lead ,as soon as i see other dogs mine are put on leads,i just wish others would do the same,Jack my dog in avater got hurt by 2 labs and now hates dogs bounding up to him,he gets grumpy and if dogs start to paw him he snaps and growls,the rest of the time hes great with dogs,Other dog we own Rusty is a barker when excited and this can be off putting for other dogs and owners,so as soon as ive walked past other dogs my 2 come off lead and carry on running over the fields.

10. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

We had 2 westies attack our GSD and he is now very wary of any other dog. He barks and growls, but behind you usually. Anything small and white he hates.
    Try and get yours out and about with other dogs asap, I wouldnt want him to feel the same as Sabre.
    I think all dogs should be kept on leads, flexi's if need be. If there is a big empty field I might let him off, but any roads(even back roads) and places where people actually walk their dogs should be leads only. If a dog ran up to Sabre(who is on lead) I dunno what he would do about it, proberly protect me, because of what has happened in the past, then who is to blame when the possible little dog gets hurt, bet most people would say it was the aggressive GSD.

11. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi sorry to hear this, with everything else you have going on this is the last thing you need, glad that razor is ok though, hope you are too, thinking of you. take care

12. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Thank you Brackensmom. I'm so glad the little dog didn't hurt him, that's the last thing I want to remember of our last few walks!

I will certainly be weary when taking him out now, well whilst we have him anyway :(
    Trying to get the most from him, and have plenty of cuddles and licks, :)

13. kath123

kath123 Guest

The woman that was walking the yorkie wasnt the dogs owner!!! And she was screaming at my sister to get Persia off her yorkie as it isnt HER dog and didnt want anything to happen to it etc etc.

My sister just turned round to her and said "so why the hell is it off the lead then!!!!

The yorkie was the one that bit my sister and her jeans were ruined, they were ripped in two!!! And the dog bit all her left hand as well and the woman didnt even apologise just kept shouting at my sister that "it wasnt her dog!!!!

:mad::mad:

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

What a shame that so many feel the need to keep their dogs on the lead. I very seldom walk my dogs in dog walking areas nowadays but I did walk my old dog in the park in Aberdeen last year and I didnt see a single dog on the lead thank goodness. And they were all very well behaved. My dog, who had hardly ever been walked near other dogs, was very polite and sniffed any dog that came near her then carried on her way. It was great though, we chatted to lots of people but if everyone had been grabbing their dogs and putting them on the lead there would have been a lot of tense dogs and tense and less friendly owners. A couple of years ago we had to spend a week in Stratford with 2 dogs and took them to a local dog walking place every day and again most dogs were off the lead, everyone was friendly, dogs and owners alike, and I found it a nice relaxing experience.

15. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

It's not all so rosy and perfect for most of us though.

Where I live, there are a lot of complete idiots who just let their dogs go bounding over to others, completely carelessly and to be honest, I find that attitude very ignorant and very stupid. Yes, most dogs might be fine - but how would you feel if your poodle went trotting over to another dog who didn't want the attention, and it bit your dog? I keep my dogs on a lead for a reason, they do not appreciate other dogs bounding over to them unwantedly. Both are blind in one eye, and one is very nervous and very timid and i'm pretty sure she doesn't want boistrous dogs running at her... I certainly don't!

If only my local park was such a perfect doggy place.

16. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I'm afraid my views on this subject are not popular at all.

ALL DOGS SHOULD BE UNDER CONTROL IN PUBLIC PLACES.

How many more threads like this will be repeated until something is done. I honestly believe that the majority of dog owners are responsible people, but sadly the minority have galvanised a lot of councils to introduce a law which stipulates that dogs should be leashed in public areas

Amenity: Keeping dogs under control | Log in to Horticulture Week

As the owner of a GSD I am well aware that this breed can cause fear amongst some people, and Luika is always leashed when amongst children, people and other dogs. As much for his own safety as other people.

Our second GSD was attacked by a Yorkshire Terrier while on a lead, and his response was to toss the Yorkie up in the air. The owner launched a verbal attack stating that she would report us for having a dangerous dog!

This is the mentality of some dog owners :cursing:

17. Marlon

Marlon PetForums Newbie

same kinda fing happened 2 ma 7 month old pitt/mastiff...

walkin thru the woodland out cum a massive english terrior grabs bella by the neck she was squillin luckly the owner got he dog of her in time...

18. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I agree with you here. One of our dogs was a fighting ring rescue and so was always kept under control on a lead. You would not believe how many times other people's dogs came running up jumping all over him. The owners would be somewhere off in the distance shouting "don't worry, he's friendly". That's great for their dog but ours wasn't and we knew exactly who would get the blame if Rocky ever bit one of their dogs.

19. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

My Dobi Ben got attacked by a JRT I shouted down and my baby hit the deck, but the JRT had his teeth in his leg, I ran over and grabbed it by the scruff lifted it off and gave it a bit of a shake, the guy whos dog it was came over and I yelled at him to keep it on a lead :D I was brave when I was with Ben lol

20. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Good for you Changes. I always go quiet then wish I'd said something later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice