Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shivering puppy ? Bedding advice !

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Chrissysarah, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Chrissysarah

Chrissysarah PetForums Junior

Two questions please! Lily is a 3 month springer spaniel and she shivers quite often, and I really dont think she is cold . I know when she is cold she shivers and my friend said when she is out if her ears are cold she is cold. I know that if she is a bit apprehensive or she is scared she shivers too, but for eg at the mo its warm in the house and she is sitting on the sofa asleep and shivering,, well like shaking her body. I know she dreams too but sometimes if she is just sitting she shivers too.. any ideas. Fully fit and healthy otherwise. :)

The other question is her bed. She is crated and will sleep fine from ten till seven. Has not ruined her bed which at the mo is half a duvet covered with a pillow then wrapped in a big fluffy blanket , a big fluffy toy and a small blanket which she plays with ( a pink towel). She has not ruined or pulled or chewed any of that, which I think is good considering. She loves the beanbag in the lounge and has not chewed it but do you think that if i put one in her bed she will chew that? I want to put something in there that is banked up or able for her to burrow into as she seems to like to be covered up or at least surrounded with something.
    So advice for what bed you suggest please. Sounds trivial I know sorry !!.
    Thanks so much x

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I always go by the ears to know if my dogs are cold, indoors or out. It could be yours is shivering in reaction (excitement/fear) to something she can hear but you can't.
    Your very lucky not to have had much bed chewing - when Kite was little I had to chuck out 2 dog beds and a third was damaged. She also chewed big holes in my bedding! How about putting her in a fleece jumper for night time? I wouldn't risk a beanbag unsupervised, she could eat the bits.

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Does she shiver very quick shivers a few seconds and then stops dead a few seconds later does it again?

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I would mention the shivering to the vet next time you go , perhaps even try and get a small video. It's most likely nothing but it's best mentioned x. Shivering can be signs of other things other than just being cold xx

5. tiny

tiny PetForums Member

hi - i dont mean to hijack your thread - but i didnt know that about a dog's ears. maybe i have a problem!! i have a 20 wk old beagle pup n her ears are always cold. do i need to get this checked out??

lanzarote oct 10 050.jpg

6. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

My JRT is a shiverer. She does it when she's asleep too. I always put a fleece jumper on her and then she stops. Also I give her plenty of fleece blankets for bedding when I'm out so she can burrow under them.

She sleeps in my bed under the duvet with me so definitely likes the warm. :) If I won't let her sleep on/next to me she goes and snuggles up with my other dog.

Here in Nottingham we would say she is nesh (which means you are cold when everyone else is warm) :lol:

#6 metaldog, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

personally I think it would be worth taking her for a check up and mentioning it to yor vet. There are many reasons that dogs can shiver and as you said this evening it is more like shaking I believe? I certainly think it would be worth having a check up.

8. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

My little ones have single duvets, I always find Bruce all wrapped up in his in the morning despite the fact that he has his radiator on overnight! :)

[​IMG]

9. Chrissysarah

Wow thanks again for the advice. I know I am very lucky with her and chewing,, her cage is the one place she is never supervised ( hence its bedtime lol).
    She was just shivering now next to me, squeezed in the chair - wont fit much longer he he).
    I am going next week for a check up to the vet & will mention it to them.
    For her bedding I will add a couple more blankets then she can bury into them too, I think thats why she likes the bean bag cos it kind of banks up around her?
    I was thinking that she may get cold when out ( the kids are adamant she doesnt need a coat or anything but she is so tiny and thin skinned.. I wear a coat!). Its flipping windy here at the beach and I live ten mins walk. WE have lots of cold sea wind!!
    havey mollly, she can shiver then stop.. or it can go for a minute or two.. and if i put my hand on her she stops instantly.
    I know if she is with one of us cuddled then she will sleep much longer than on her own because she is " sharing bodily warmth".
    As its just her and me at home most of the time apart from out of school I dont want her to get too attached so I put her in her cage for an hour morning and night if we not going out ( or me going out) . I am so tempted just to cuddle her all the time lol but I KNOW that is not going to do either of us ( or the house work) any good :) xx
    Chrissy x

10. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I dont think its because it is cold tbh, although i cant tell you what it is but molly did it alot when she was younger.:rolleyes:

11. Chrissysarah

she seems to stop it as soon as you put your hand on her ! I am still taking her next week for her check up though xx
    Digging out the kids extra kiddie blankies for her tonight lol xx Lets see how long it takes them to notice... the are 18 and 14 nearly lol xx

12. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I have had dogs most of my life and throughout that time purchased many a dog bed, however, a couple of years ago I found this company in Turriff (Aberdeenshire) that made dog beds and I can honestly say it has been a sound investment. They are individually made for you - have a look at their website - you won't be disappointed. Dog Beds, Waterproof Dog Beds, Large Dogs Beds, Luxury Dog Beds UK

On the subject of shivering pup - it may be that the pup is cold after all the are used to getting heat from mum and their litter mates, however, I would be inclined to mention it to the vet - better to er on the safe side. :001_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice