Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Shitzu puppy 9weeks old

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sheila mitchell, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Sheila mitchell

Sheila mitchell PetForums Newbie

Hi I got my shitzue puppyjust yesterday, I went to put him in his crate but he was really crying any help with looking after and training him would be much appreciated

2. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Hi there and welcome. Congratulations on your new addition! There are lots of helpful people on here who will be able to offer advice, particularly if you post in the dog section.

Bear in mind that your new pup has just left his mum and siblings and will likely be feeling scared and lonely. You are all he has. Where have you got him sleeping at night? Best to put the crate in your room and leave the door open for the time being so that he doesn't feel trapped. Unfortunately many people make the mistake of putting a pup in the crate, shutting the door and expecting everything to be fine, but this can be frightening for a new pup. Make sure that the crate is introduced gradually and that you make it a nice place to be.

There are various different ways you can make the crate a nice place for your pup - feed him in there, put treats in there, give him a stuffed Kong in there so he can settle with that. When he is happy and settled in there try closing the door for a few seconds and then opening it again. If he is OK with that the repeat, gradually increasing the time and rewarding him for being calm in there.

Please could you share some pictures of your new family member? We all love puppy pictures :)

Kim Watcham likes this.
  3. Kim Watcham

Kim Watcham KIM N ARCHIE

hi and welcome.....love to see some nice photos of your new shih Tzu does he or she have a name ...meet archie my 6 year old shih Tzu iv had from a pup archie was very easy to train so I hope all goes well for you I had archie in a crate at night he seemed to love it would go in by him self he had lovley warm cosy blankets and I would get up every few hours to check on him when archie was training for the toilet id use puppy pads or you can use new papers from his crate to outside he picked this up very fast then as he got a little big and could go outside after his jabs he just went to the toilet outside then it was on his walks like now never in our garden just on walks near the bin then his done for use to go and play ball on the beach ..... 20171230_124019.jpg 20180110_094136.jpg 20170912_152124.jpg 20171217_142736.jpg

4. Kim Watcham

Kim Watcham KIM N ARCHIE

yes if his unsure of his crate best to pop it in your room its all very new to him and his just a baby not all pups like being in a crate archie was fine but he needs to know your there for him ....hope all goes well for you and him and enjoy having him you will have lots of fun with him the shih Tzu loves to play all sorts of games

5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome

6. Ibelive12

Ibelive12 PetForums Newbie

F3E7C98D-3BD9-4D35-9D48-773CBB7C6E58.png Hi I have just got my beautiful 8 week old Shih tuz named Shiloh. I had the same trouble with putting her in a crate,although she would go in and out in the day on her own and was comfortable,when it came to bed time I would wait till she fell asleep then go up but then she would wake up cry n whining in distress so I would end up sleeping down stairs with her!! I wasn’t getting much sleep and being to get very tired!! So we decided to get a puppy pen and well it’s amazing she seems to really like it and I have had my first two full nights sleep in just over a week of having her! Don’t get me wrong I would of slept down stairs every night because I love her so much but just wasn’t practical!! Now we’re both happy sleepers and when I come down in morning I get the biggest wash of tail and kisses!!

Pardis and Kim Watcham like this.
  7. Kim Watcham

Kim Watcham KIM N ARCHIE

hello to you and beautiful Shiloh I love her name and shes so pretty .I'm so glad you have her sorted in a puppy pen and if shes happy and comfy and warm that's good I realy hope you enjoy her as much as I enjoy archie there lovley little dogs ....kim n archie 20180216_102427.jpg 20180216_112512.jpg

8. Pardis

Pardis PetForums Member

Hi and welcome OP, hope you found a solution to the crate problem!

And hello and welcome to Ibelieve12 and cute Shiloh! :)

image.jpeg

My Boris all proud of himself after leaving a big, stinking number 2 in Pets at Home :D

Kim Watcham likes this.
  9. Ibelive12

Ibelive12 PetForums Newbie

Hi Kim and Archie
    Thank you for your lovely comments,yes she is very happy in her pen especially with all her toys!! I’m getting so much enjoyment from watching her little personality develop and her confidence!! Just having problems with biting I except it when she first wakes up and is excited but then when you go to stroke her she wants to bite you,and she has very sharp teeth lol I know she is teething but she has so many toys to chew n bite on,do you have any advice!! I love your pictures of Archie he looks very energetic and cute!! I can’t wait to take Shiloh out she has her second vaccination on Wednesday so not long!! You both take care best wishes Emma n Shiloh x

Kim Watcham likes this.
  10. Kim Watcham

Kim Watcham KIM N ARCHIE

Thank you...sounds your doing a great job and i the you will enjoy taking her out ..as for her teeth archie was like that not for long thoe just teeting and when he was pleased to see me a little nip here n there that was the only problem i can think off with.archie he was very easy to get clean i enjoyed the training with archie and even now we still go through things now and his 6 years old ...the shih tzu loves to please and they love games ...kim n archie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice