Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shihtzu sticky eyes

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jem29, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Nessa keeps getting her hair under her eyes going very hard and clumpy, despite me cleaning her eyes daily like the vet suggested.

What else can I do for her? she cries when I try tosoften the fur and remove the clumps. I have had her eyes checked by the vet and they are fine aparently.

Should the hair be clipped short just under the eyes? it has gone quite long now. She is 12 weeks.

2. jaxx

jaxx PetForums VIP

My mum's shih tzu has the same problem so we keep his fur under his eyes trimmed short. I think all shih tzu's have this problem as her previous dog had the same problem. There are eye wipes designed for dogs with this problem which you can either get from the vets or a decent pet shop. We've noticed also that his face will smell pretty badly if we didn't keep it trimmed short and cleaned.

3. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

our Lhasa's get gunk coming out of their eyes too, if left it would also go hard and clumpy. Wet a peice of cotton wool with warm water and squeeze the water over the area that's hard, keep doing it until it softens enough to just wipe away.

Cutting the hairs short will just aggrevate the problem, the short hairs will tickle her eyes making them weep more. Best thing to do once you've got rid of it all is to smear some vaseline in the line from corner of eyes to just underneath down the side of her snout, just enough to coat the hair so the gunk will slide off with damp cotton wool.

Eye's should be cleaned daily to prevent this build up and ideally should be done with plain warm water as the chemicals in the wipes could cause an infection... more gunk and bad smell too not to mention painful for the dog.

ohhhh the joys of having a long coated dog with short snout :rolleyes:

4. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

if hair long enough can u put in a top knot?

5. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I have had the same problem with my shih tzu Suki when she was young, I used to get her hair trimmed by a groomer and smeared a little vasaline along under the eye area, not too much though as dirt and dust will stick to it and could make matters worse. They have large eyes and can get watery eyes, It wont hurt to get a qualified groomer to trim her hair. It never did Suki any harm and I never had problems with gunk going firm and hard again. xxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice