Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

shih Tzu

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dee2dee, May 25, 2010.

1. dee2dee

dee2dee PetForums Newbie

Hi my name's Dee and i'm new to the forum. I am going to see a shih tzu pup on wed, sooo excited:) Any advise on shih tzu's would be great thanks dee

2. emmajane

emmajane Banned

hi dee! i really find shih tzus adorable! i'd love to see pics when you already got one! :)

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Congratulations I bet you can't wait. There are a few people with shih tzus on here I'm sure they'll be along shortly

4. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

awww you will love the breed, they are so adorable, if you want any help, advice thought etc feel free to ask or pm me :)

5. Alison-Jane

Alison-Jane PetForums Newbie

Hi Dee, We have a gorgeous 9 month old shih tzu called Jack. He has been the perfect puppy. What sort of advice are you after? Ask me anything - I will help if I can.

6. dee2dee

dee2dee PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone, we are going to see her tonight. :)

7. Alli and Trixy

Alli and Trixy PetForums Junior

Ive got 2 shih tzu's, trixy is 1 on Saturday and Alfie is 9 month.
    They are great dogs, they are like babies you will love your new addition xx

8. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hi good luck with the shih tzu, we have shih tzus, great little dogs, they do need alot of grooming, and you must keep a check on their eyes, i clean my shih tzus eyes every day,but if you get them used to this when they are young, then they get used to it, mine love being groomed :D..:D

9. Maz&Oozy

yea have to agree make sure you get you pup used to grooming, eye cleaning and ear checking, grooming is very important as Shih Tzu's fur does matt easily if left to long and always check tops inside tops of legs as matts easy there and as said they are like little babies, very attention seeking (says this as Oozy is gently patting and scratching my leg to get up for a cuddle)

if your going to keep pups fur short you'll need to get him trimmed about every 6/8 weeks, sometimes also Shih Tzu's are hard to train potty train, but it will come and they can be stubborn, dont let your pup win *chuckle* if they know they can get away with it they will do it again. :thumbup:

but saying that they are very clever, quick learner's with treat encouragment, my lad learnt, sit, stay, come, paw, Hi5 within a week with short training sessions.

Personally I woudnt change my lad for the world and we plan to get another in the New Year, we are hooked on the breed as im sure you will be too.
    :)

Looking forward to pics

10. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Good luck with your viewing. As you can see by my siggie mine aren't so different so more than willing to offer advice if you need any :)

11. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I have a 9yr old Shih Tzu named Suki Sue, she is a really good dog, I have never ever had any problems with her at all. She is so loving. They will need to be groomed weekly with a baby brush to get them used to it. Dont get their fur cut until after they are one year old as their fur is still soft. I have Suki groomed and cut twice per year, shorter in the summer. One thing they will do and it will frighten you when you hear it and see it for the first time........is Reverse Sneezing. It is where the trachia closes and they grunt to get it back open. dont worry they all do this, all flat faced dogs do. I thought Suki was dying when I heard it first, I phoned her breeder and she explained this to me.
    They are wonderfull dogs.:thumbup:

12. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

This may help you.

Shih Tzu Health Issues

Each type of breed has their own set of red flag health issues. The Shih Tzu is prone to have certain medical problems more than other breeds. This does not mean that your dog is sure to have an illness or health issue; we will help you know what signs to keep an eye on.

This breed, with a long back and short legs may have back problems at some point. Regular preventive care is always necessary to keep your pet in good health. Special care must be taken in regard to dental issues. Keeping your dog healthy involves many aspects Reverse Sneezing happens quite a lot in Shih Tzu's and short nose breeds of dogs.

Shih Tzu Temperament

The Shih Tzu is a noble dog and very lively. This breed makes a wonderful family pet. Others wish for a Shih Tzu to have one of the most beautiful dogs, to enter into shows. In either case, having your dog well-trained is a must. Behavior analysis shows that this dog will interact well with children, given that attention is paid to proper training. They have animated and amusing personalities. Learn detailed information regarding behavior and temperament

Exercise Requirements

While some dog breeds, such as the Basset Hound are perfectly content lazing around near your feet, the Shih Tzu is an active dog that requires a brisk walk. This is needed daily. Our exercise section will show you how much is needed and how often. Since this dog is an inside dog, learn some great methods of providing much needed indoor activity as well.
    As a puppy, excerise should be kept to a minimum so as not to damge any ligaments etc. Short small walks at first, working up slowly as it gets older.

Grooming techniques are certainly unique to this breed. A properly groomed Shih Tzu will have a beautiful "topknot" to hold its hair above its eyes. This is used for both male and female dogs and is considered to be an appropriate method to controlling and keeping neat the long fur that would otherwise impair the dog's vision. Alternatively, one may have the fur clipped. There are many other elements involved in grooming, such as nail care, eyes, ears, bathing, brushing and more.

13. Maz&Oozy

This is also a good place to get info and you can message them too :) they are helping me find a breeder for my next pup

Welcome to the Shih Tzu Club

I do think everyone has different opinions on things I brush my pup every day and he is trimmed every 6 weeks approx, scissor cut not clippers, I started it young as my friends have too with their pups, that way he gets used to it and now he's happy at 6 months to stand still and be brushed etc, he loves it and gets a treat when finished. My lad loves to play and get dirty etc which is why I keep his coat short, easier for him and me, but it is *personal choice* there is no right or wrong, its what you prefer.

14. dee2dee

dee2dee PetForums Newbie

Thankyou to everyone for the advise. We seen her last night, she is the smallest of the litter, but was the first born. She is having her vet check tomorrow & jabs. I know now where too come if i need to ask anything, if i have any questions. Thankyou so much. I will update in a weeks time as we are on holiday tomorrow, and we pick her up a week on sunday. By the way my Daughter has thought of her name, which will be Poppy, we think it suits her. So excited, I will buying puppy stuff all week. :)

15. leashedForLife

i have to agree about coat-maintenance + husbandry -
    as pups + dogs they are delightful, typically playful + happy, BUT they need to learn early to tolerate handling + grooming -
    if U wait till 12-MO for that first grooming trip, the dog will not be very comfy or co-operative, as they will be anxious.

cookie-visits to the vet + groomer (go in, chat for 5-mins or less, treats a few times, leave...) are HIGHLY recommended.
    figure on at least 4 visits for treats, to every ONE visit for * real *.

my friend had a Shih-Tzu that she liked to keep in show-coat - right to the floor.
    HOWEVER - she never banded his coat or put a coat on him to keep it off the ground,
    she never COMBED him between groomer trips, and he was a mass of knots every 6 to 8 weeks, when he went to be done. :mad:
    that made every grooming trip a mizrable marathon of standing while someone ripped at his hair + skin for an hour...

she + i did him at home one time - and he went flat to his belly and cringed at sight of the comb! :eek:
    i spent 90-mins just splitting + combing mats out - it had been 5 weeks since his last shop-grooming,
    and he had not been COMBED *once*. :thumbdown:

the worst? :nonod: his ears... UNDER the long, silky, straight locks were huge flat MATS like old-fashioned rats
    ZipZip's Vintage Sewing: Hairstyle Tutorial: A 1909 Edwardian Coiffure
    for plumping ladies hair-dos up. :mad5: i kid U not - ONE mat off ONE ear was 2.5-inches wide, and FIVE inches long -
    i had a terrible time getting that off his delicate small ear, without slicing his poor pinna.

it may seem incredible, but at that time he was just 12-MO -
    and at least FOUR groomers had supposedly brushed him to the skin, bathed + trimmed him, in the previous 6-mos...
    which means ALL of them left wads of hair on both ears, hidden by his fall of hair. :thumbdown:

do go over Ur dog before U leave the shop - FEEL for mats, tangles + knots, and Check Those Little Ears, too.

Shih-Tzus are prone to URIs, and dental problems - brushing teeth with ENZYME toothpaste for dogs (chicken or beef)
    is a good habit to get into. (dogs cannot use human toothpaste, which is meant to be Spat-Out - dogs cannot spit;
    FLUORIDE is a poison.)

they usually have delightful personalities, love toys + play, and are joyful little dogs who love romps + runs + walks.
    enjoy the puppy, :)
    --- terry

16. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

The only one I've met was my neighbour's dog who was in a short clip. Such a sweet little thing wanted to lie on your knee all the time. But she used to boss around their huge boxer typical female I guess. I can't understand why you would keep them in the long coat if you're not going to bother actually maintaining it.

#16 Nicky10, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  17. leashedForLife

precisely my Q - the dog was exhausted and i am sure, SORE after every grooming, poor baby -
    and he was a very, very soft dog, a real marshmallow. :( a puppy-clip is cute, easy to maintain, and mud brushes off it;
    6 to 8 inches of hair is gorgeous, but a real P-I-T-A to keep properly.

18. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Poor baby :(. I can bet it was sore it hurts to get knots out of human hair. If you're going to get a dog like that and not look after it's coat keep it in a short clip or don't get a long haired dog that requires that much grooming in the first.

19. Maz&Oozy

100% agree..

Shih Tzu are not a low maintenance dog like say a short haired JR, Oozy is brushed every day even with a puppy cut, I do him every morning at this time which is why on laptop have on arm of chair so type when let him have a few min restbite.

I brush body, then inside of legs, checking in leg pits (is that what you call them lol) as matt easily here, then check paws, making sure non of hair has matted between pads as they can go hard like a small pebble and hurt the soft pads, trim if required. then brush tail, then under chin (remove collar 1st) then do head, check ears inside and out, then wipe eyes clean. brush tash and trim any hair under eyes if needed so dont scratch his eyes. Oozy still has his long puppy eyelashes which will as get older fall out and then shorter ones will grow, so make sure they are gunk free too.

Oozy also drinks bottle water from a special drinking bottle in a stand I made, as he hated drinking from a bowl and when did often got much from his beard in it, so imported a wide mouthed drinking bottle and now he drink loads more than did before and is so much happier, he hated drinking from a bowl I think because of flat face and nose get wet, I was recommended the bottle by ShihTzu owner in USA and best thing I did!! now have 2, one for his crate and one which is in portable holder so can put inside or outside depending where we are. I didnt have to worry about him using it he seemed to know and as soon as finished making it he drank and hasnt looked back.

[​IMG]

not a very good video of him using it but if your interested

http://www.flickr.com/photos/angels_of_life/4646412525/

:)

#19 Maz&Oozy, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  20. perkib

perkib PetForums Newbie

Hi ,
    I came across you on the internet. I have a mother who lives alone, she has had a shih tzu for years but lost him due to illness several weeks ago. As you can appreciate she was devastated at this loss so we are doing what we can to find another which would like a new loving home. She is very active and would take Barney on daily walks around her home in Wells Somerset. Ideally we are looking for an older dog that is already trained as I think a pup would be too much work for her. House training is the important thing so if a pup is house trained then that would be fine. As I said she is very active so exercise would not be a problem

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice