Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shih Tzu x Lhaha Apso

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kirsty77, Jun 18, 2010.

1. kirsty77

kirsty77 PetForums Newbie

Can anyone tell me anything about this cross breed?
    Does their hair take much looking after? Etc....
    I have never had a long haired dog before! Both of ours are short haired.

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Seems pretty pointless doesnt it??
    Arent they virtually identical, only Lhasa's a teeny smidge bigger.:confused:

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I know a lovely Lhaso belongs to a friend of mine.

They are in the high maintenance category with regards grooming but you can have them clipped pretty short to make this easier, Bonny has just had a lovely haircut and looks gorgeous with longer tail and ears but shorter body, legs and belly :) Think it might be called a "puppy cut" but not sure :eek:

You need to consider the cost of this will be around £30-40 every 6 weeks to upkeep :)

Obviously with a cross the coat could be any combination of the 2 but i think they are fairly similar in terms of work anyway :)

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

you have a couple of options -
    I keep my 2 clippered quite short with their tails and faces left longer, I think it's a cute look.
    I cut their fur about every 6-8 weeks and give them a quick brush off when they need it and a bath when they roll in something stinky.

If you want to let the fur grow long you will need to brush it every day, I believe the fur gets paticularly tangly when the coat changes from puppy to adult, but settles down once the adult coat is through properly.
    You will probably need to use a conditioning spay regularly and when you bath him take time to condition the coat properly and dry the fur carefully and bush out well.

5. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

Hi grooming will take the same amount of time as a pure bred tbo as both breeds have long coats.. you'll need to keep on top of it by grooming daily if you intend keeping the coat length.

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Just a point worth making, i underestimated the amount of grooming Oscar would need and he also HATES it so i have to get him clipped every 6 weeks, fortunately i can afford it but you really have to consider this if you are a novice to long haired breeds :)

The groomer did say Oscar has a particularly dense coat so probably not disimilar to the breeds you are looking at except the main bulk of his body is short

7. Fleur

Good pint Rainybow :)

If you're getting a puppy - get him used to grooming from day one.
    Gentle brushing, checking ears, teeth, tail and nails.
    He's a dog that will need a lot of grooming you want him to think it's a nice thing to be doing.
    My 2 tolerate it, they don't enjoy it, but allow me to do it anyway.
    A lot of dogs if introduced from a young age will actively enjoy all the fuss. and it can be a great time for owner and dog to bond and chill out together.

8. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

If i had realised how dense Oscars coat would be i would have started sooner, you live and learn ;)

9. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

They will have a thick under coat which will matt if not maintained and a soft long top coat. I groomed my boy today ready for the vets and you would'nt believe all the under coat that comes off in this weather. I have him shaved aswell which is alot easier and cooler in this weather.

10. kirsty77

kirsty77 PetForums Newbie

The girl selling her said she always gets groomed every 6-8 weeks, so I expect she'll be fine with it.

11. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Should be ok then if shes used to it :) But you can't always take their word for it.

12. Fleur

Sounds like she gets her clipped short then.
    Remember this can cost from £20 - £40 depending on where you live.
    A quick brush is all she'll need to keep her fur nice in between trims.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice