Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shih tzu won't drink - should I be worried??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Vicki Lodder, May 31, 2018.

1. Vicki Lodder

Vicki Lodder PetForums Newbie

I'm dog sitting a shih tzu for 2 weeks while my family friends are on holiday. I have my own pug and he's absolutely fine with her. However since her mummy went away 24 hours ago, she has hardly eaten even though I've tried to keep to her feeding routine as much as possible, she hasn't had a drop to drink even though she's had 3 walks and she's just sleeping the whole time - no interaction at all. Is this just a case of the misimis mummy blues? And should I be worried about the no water thing?

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Sounds like a case of the blues right enough! Make sure water is always available and, if possible, put it in a place where she can get to it without being seen. She might well have a sneaky slurp when no one's around! If she is on wet food, there will be moisture in that. If kibble, you could soak her kibble before offering it.

Some dogs do drink more than others so try not to compare with your own dog. I wouldn't be too worried if she can get to water (a covered crate or private area covered would be ideal) she will drink when thirsty.

If she is getting constipated and not passing urine, then i would worry. See how you go, hopefully she will come round ok

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice