Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shih Tzu owners..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by catz4m8z, Jan 5, 2012.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

what are they really like??:confused:
    still working on my short list and they seem like they would get on with my current little pack and the cats but it would be nice to hear from owners too. Also I cant work out the exercise requirements for them. All the research Ive looked at goes on about how they just need a 10 minute potter up the road and a play in the garden. I was more interested to find out if they could do a 5 mile walk in moderate weather...:confused:

2. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

If you get a shih tzu from a reputable breeder, no hip or spinal problems, they should be able to build up their fitness to whatever you want it to be. They're no springers or BC's but they're quite good at adjusting themselves to your exercise regime - my Oscar is just as happy in the house after a 10 minute potter about to do his business as he is after spending 2 hours out romping with his mates - granted he has hip dysplasia and luxating patella, meaning if he really overdoes it, he will get sore.
    They're very funny, lovely little dogs, I personally think they're great :D They're good with any animals they're brought up with, Oz is great with my rats, no prey drive whatsoever. He will chase squirrels and rats in the park though, but I doubt it's to kill, I think he wants to press his nose against them and have a good ol' sniff :p

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

The owners of one of my dogs brothers has one and she loves Dobermann sized walks

4. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Sophie is half shih tzu and half maltese.
    Weve gone on long walks, hikes, and Sophie even goes in for a dip swimming with all four paws.

She loves playing ball and getting into everything. Potty training has been easy.

The only thing that seems to constant with other shih tzu owners and the vet is that they can be picky eaters and Sophie is definitively a picky eater and we have free fed her for a few months already and it seems to be working for her :)

5. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Heheh - Oscar was a picky eater til we got him on raw. Now his bowl barely has to touch the floor and it's empty!
    Previously he'd starve himself for days on end, just pick at bits of his food and completely leave it when it dried out, it was such a waste, no such thing now, not a scrap gets wasted :D

6. Pixie2010

Pixie2010 PetForums Senior

My Shih Tzu Pixie is just a joy and even the rest of my family who are big dog people love her as she's such a character! She will happily walk for miles, or 20 mins! We went on tbe Sputh east dog meet organised by babycham and she had a whale of a time - even managed a dip in tbe lake! Was easy to house train, is well behaved and does well on WW wet trays!! Not that interested in other dogs, but will play, but loves people! Only downside is that she is not great and being on her own. Don't see signs of anxiety I just know she is happiest with someone with her, so she goes to daycare when I work more than 4 hours!
    I am biased but I would highly recommend the breed!!

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Couldnt afford to be a picky eater in my house, my other 3 are complete pigs!!LOL:D
    They do sound like pretty nice dogs for someone like me (who likes cuddly, undemanding type dogs). As long as a dog could walk for up to 1.5hrs that suits me fine, any further and one of my Chihuahua's starts to mope and whinge anyway.:rolleyes:

8. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Well if you had them from a pup and built them up to that kind of walking distance, they could do it easily :D

Only thing I will say is, they are stubborn gits! But I wouldn't have my Oz any other way :)

9. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Yeh Sophie would only eat a bit, more if you hand feed her but that was it and she started throwing up bile so we just left her food down all the time and shes been fine.

Im not sure how shed do with raw :001_huh: itd be interesting but even with people food you could put a plate of toast with peanut butter and shed leave it, you put down pasta shed might nick some.

Ive tried wet food no luck and dry seems to work better.

Wierd creatures eh :)

10. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

They are indeed weird little creatures :p

Oscar's bile thing has been non existant since he's been on raw :thumbup:

11. skyblue

skyblue PetForums VIP

daisy's a terrorist

12. redron

redron PetForums Newbie

Can anyone recommend a good dry food for me my little shi tzu has anal gland problems and is needing at least monthly vet visit to be relieved, but with no sign of an ending in sight, any advice would be appreciated, I'm new on, so probably posting in the wrong place

13. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

14. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

15. redron

redron PetForums Newbie

Thank you very much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice