Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shih Tzu allergies

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JRB123, Nov 26, 2018.

1. JRB123

JRB123 PetForums Member

Hi -worried about my 2 year old boy. We've been to the vets and he's had a blood test.The vets said the results normally come back with about 8 allergies and our dog has 20 ranging from corn to plants - mostly environmental allergies like skin cells, cat skin cells, many plants etc. He is going to start immunotherapy injections to build his immunity against the allergies (all done by the vet - and hopefully paid for by insurance!!) It has 80% success rate but doesn't cure - more manages it better. No cure for allergies.
    However in the mean time - he has such red skin, he's itching his ears and licking his paws and I am worried about him. Anyone else going through this? Any tips? It's almost like he needs to live in a bubble :( But obviously he doesn't and still goes out - still like sniffing about even though it's probably plants he's allergic too. We have a cat plus of course there's 4 of us so skin cells everywhere. As the vet said we can't avoid these things in day to day life. But the skin under his arms is red raw. I've tried stinky stuff lotions which didn't really make any difference but does anyone have any ideas of other stuff?
    Thanks in advance

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Basic things like hoover regularly so you are removing as much as possible of the allergen. Ideally with a HEPA filter hoover. Keep on top of filter care too.

Wet wipes instead of dusting.

If it was dust mites, and not the cells per se then would be beneficial to use a flea spray that covers them too.

There probably be more tips on asthma based sites and forums as cells are in dust

3. SunnyBaker

SunnyBaker PetForums Newbie

I have just adopted a female Shih Tzu with similar symptons and have started treatment for yeast infections. She was quite smelly, constant licking of feet and scratching red itchy skin around her neck and ears. We are bathing her feet with apple cider vinegar solution, treating her sore patches with sudocrem, cutting out all carbs and grains. She is continuing with prescribed medication from Vets “Apoquel”. Will trial and see if any improvements and report at a later date. Just thought it might be another avenue to explore? Good luck.

4. CazTzu

CazTzu PetForums Junior

In my opinion allergies are often food related. What food are you feeding.? I have two Shih Tzu's both are raw fed and only occasionally given Canagan kibble ( as it is closest to raw) if I forget to take out there food from the freezer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice