Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shih Tsu food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by mckayc23, Jan 10, 2021.

1. mckayc23

mckayc23 PetForums Newbie

Hi , I have a Shih Tzu who is 1yr 3mths, and he is a really fussy eater! He loves human food and will eat basically any wet food, but it is really tough trying to get him to eat dry food. I have tried mixing up the dry food into the wet, but he will eat the wet and spit the dry food out! Sometimes he will eat Bakers Meaty Meals, but it will just be a couple of handfuls at most! Is it okay for him to eat mainly wet food, or is it important for him to be eating more dry food? And what is a good brand for him to eat (that isn’t over the top expensive!)
    Thanks!!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It's fine for him to eat wet, but as with all types there are better/poorer quality ones.

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

Mum2Ozzy and niamh123 like this.
  3. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

I am in similar situation with my dog, he's 17 weeks old today. He loves wet food and home cooked meals but wet food I used to buy for him is a bit too expensive to feed full time. On advice of @JoanneF I've been giving him his dry food in Kong and we've had some success; and I'm planning on trying some German wet foods from zooplus, they look to be really decent quality and good price (rocco, lukullus, wolf of wilderness). I'm also waiting for sample of platinum dry food which supposed to be softer than standard kibble; if that fails it will be wet food with some dry in puzzle feeders like Kong x

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice