Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shift working and dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cazbar, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Cazbar

Cazbar PetForums Newbie

We are looking to get a puppy (probably Golden Retriever) within the next few months. My husband works shifts - earlies one week which is about 4-6am til about 1-2pm and lates the other week which is normally 2-3pm til 12-1ish.

I am self-employed and often work evenings too coming home late although not on the same evenings my husband is working!

Obviously we wouldn't make a huge amount of noise as we wouldn't want to disturb the children when they are asleep but there will be some noise.

How would a puppy/dog cope with being disturbed at these times? Would they get used to it as we have?

My husband is concerned that the dog would start barking or want attention from him which he cannot give when he needs to leave for work and wake everyone else up!

Does anybody have any experience of this type of situation that they would be willing to share with us to help put our minds at rest?

2. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Hi cazbar and welcome! I work all kinds of hours, day and evenings. My dogs know the routine and are settled with it. Purists believe that dogs should be worked/excercised during the daytime and left to settle in the evenings and at night, when their body clock would naturally be encouraging them to do so. I agree with this too, but unfortunately, modern life sometimes demands that we work odd hours and our dogs learn to adapt.

atm, both of mine are playfighting after an hours walk and it's now 1am. They'll both sleep soundly for at least 8 hours and then be ready again for a bit of action in the morning.

Hopefully someone will come along with some info on how puppies cope with a shift lifestyle, I'm afraid I can't help much in that area x

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I don't see why a dog wouldn't get used to your odd hours.
    A friend of mine works 9-5 but her hubby works shifts and there lab just accepts it, he's never known any different.

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

When we got our first dogs our children was young so in bed when we and pups went to bed, our last pup who is now 11months got used to being woke during her sleep time the boys are now 18 and 21 so as you can imagine 1 comes in at one time usually early hours at weekend and the other one at a different time. This happened the first night she was with us think she had been put to bed about 11 and they came in about 12 ish, she knows no different and they have said when they come in neither of the dogs even look at them. Dogs get used to whatever is the norm to them and things/events soon become the norm. I wouldnt worry about people coming in at different times.

5. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

I do 9-5 (well actual time out the house is 7.45 - 7 :() but my hubby does shifts - either 6.30 - 2.45 or 2.30 - 10.45 so is often up and about very early or back quite late.
    Daisy is fine about it. When she was a pup he used to let her out for a wee in the morning then straight back in the cage again but now she is older he doesn't let her out in the morning (she gets up with me & kids) although he opens the cage door when he gets in if I am in bed already.
    It doesn't bother her in the slightest as she is used to the routine now.
    The great thing about him doing shifts is that he is around alot in the day, and gets days off in the week, so in some ways it isn't like having two full time working owners, which is great (works out well for childcare too ;))

6. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

OH does shifts he did do 7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm and 11pm till 7am

zeb does fine on most of them, because we dont have a grass garden and hes so used to havin a wee on grass i struggle when oh is on 3pm-11pm to get him out to the toilet because of the kids

But hes fine with it, he does get unsettled when oh's is on nights and did leave us a nice poo on the first day in protest lol but he was fine by the end of it :)

7. Shaza

Shaza PetForums Junior

My eldest son works shift pattern - 6am-2pm one week then 2-11pm the next which means he's up at 5am on earlies and up till about 2am on lates. My 2 puppies (12 & 16 wks) got used to his unusual pattern within a couple of shift changes. Now they don't even wake up when he gets up or comes in so I don't think you should have a problem.

8. Cazbar

Cazbar PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone you have helped put our minds at rest a bit.

This is exactly what I was thinking! There will only be short periods where the dog will actually be on its own.

9. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

it works well for us, on the days when she is left for longer. We get someone to drop in to her.

Have you thought about what type of dog?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice