Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shift workers striking over public holiday pay?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Irish Setter Gal, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

Yet again the tube drivers are debating a strike on boxing day - they demand triple time and a day off in lieu.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for remuneration where it's due, but surely if you work a shift system to cover 24/7 365 or thereabouts, are you not already being paid handsomely for unsocial hours and bank holiday working.

Is there any other industry where shift workers get this obscene level of pay - surely if it's a shift system then it rotates as to who gets to work what across the years that you work for said company.

I work within a rostered shift based industry that is 24/7 365, we are paid for this unsocial approach to life and if we happen to work/be rostered for a bank holiday then that's just life. It's a shift system that means it's rotated across the years so at some point you'd be off 'normally' on a particular bank holiday. What we do get though is all the bank holidays as additional leave to take as and when we determine on top of annual leave since there is no choice in the matter of working them or not.

What makes the Tube drivers more special than other shift workers? I get really p****d at their attitude and I don't even have to use the transport system either so it doesn't affect me - rant over. :mad5:

2. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

My OH does rolling shifts, and doesnt get paid more than the guys that do a normal working day. Because of that if his shift falls on a bank holiday he gets double time and a day off in lieu, which I believe is the right thing to do.
    He has no choice if his shift falls on a bank holiday so he should be given extra for working it.

3. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

if its in their terms and conditions they should get it...if its not.. well its tough look

my oh used to get tripple time xmas day and new years day...double time boxing day and bank holidays....the tripple time still stands for new years day and xmas day but the bank holiday one was taken from us in a pay deal ..

4. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

I worked the markets and shows for thirty years from before dawn to late at night..Saturdays,Sundays,bank holidays the lot.
    You choose your job...if it includes working unsocial hours so be it...You don't like it,get another job.

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Didn't work like that when I worked shifts, I ended up working Christmas Day and Boxing Day 5 years in a row while someone else didn't end up working a single one because of how Christmas fell in with the roster. 4 of those years I also worked New Years Eve and New Years Day.

6. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

What was your rolling shift pattern to cop that one?

Mine was a 10 day pattern, roughly 36.5 cycles per yr and with leap yrs meant it slowly rolled through - also there was less cover required on xmas day so even that shift itself could be occasionally taken as leave - but only that particular bank hol - all other bank hols were 'normal' staffing,

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

You tell me, even the guy who worked it for 27 years couldn't figure out the shift pattern. Apparently one existed but it worked out over so many months. We did 2, 3 or 4 shifts then got 2, 3 or 4 days off but not in any particular pattern. You could do 2 shifts, get 4 days off, 2 shifts and get 2 days off, 4 shifts and get 2 days off or anything.

8. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Hubs is classed as an executive.

Does he get overtime? no.
    Does he work over his designated hours of work on his contract? yes, most definitely. If it needs doing, he does it, no questions.

Like PD says, you choose your job. I'm thankful that hubs is in a job, the bonus is its a job he loves.

9. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

My contract is 24/7 365 days a year -unsociable allowance paid for working between 10pm and 6am but no extra money for bank holidays just a day in lieu.
    The actual hours I work are between 8am and 8pm however I can be asked to work any other hours, luckily my office is only open 8am-10pm but across the country offices are open 24/7 365 days.

I think if it's in your contract then fair enough fight for it - but most modern contracts treat a bank holiday as anyother day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice