Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shetland Sheepdog advice.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Baby Bordie, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Hi, i have decided on the dog i would like to get at christmas time, but i was wondering if some of you could answer a few questions?

1) I know they shed quite alot, but do they do it all year round?
    2) How expensive would you say they are?
    3) Is it easy to get hold of a blue merle puppy in the U.K?

Also it would be very helpful if you guy could help me find some breeders websites aswell.... :D

Thanks James.

2. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

No idea about where you could get a hold of a blue merle pup but they are certainly about in the u,k,
    I get loads of fur out of my pair all year round,so much that I'm thinking of getting a teddy bear knitted from the fur I've collected :p.
    Arran cost my family £550 two years ago, he was a present :rolleyes:. Abby cost me £80 from a rescue in Wales but she was 8 years old at the time.

Terri

3. Baby Bordie

Thanks, i live in Wales, Which rescue did you go to? If we brushed it everyday before it comes in the house, would it still shed alot? Its not a HUGE problem, but just want to see if theres anyway of overcoming it.... :D

4. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

We got Abby from Ceredigion animal rescue, she had been a show dog and the people who had here were moving and didn't want her any more, they're loss was my gain she's a fantastic wee dog :D. I brush Arran nearly every day with a normal dog brush and once a week I use a rake on him to get out all the dead under coat. I sit at night and do it. Abby's coat doesn't seem to need as much as Arran's does and she gets done just a couple of times a week
    What made you want to take on a sheltie.

Terri

Baby Bordie likes this.
  5. Baby Bordie

Thanks for the coat info! :D...WEll basically we had a few options of dogs taht fitted out criteria, then elimenated them down to the ones that all the family wanted ect.... And they just look stunning! It was between a beagle, or a Sheltie, but we decided that we would want to have a dog that can be let off the lead, without it running off to a smell, because beagles are scent hounds! :D Are there any other cons for a sheltie?

Thanks James.

6. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

They love the sound of their own voices :001_tt2:, trying to get my pair to shut up when they get started is nearly impossible :rolleyes:. They can be quite a nervy breed a bit wary of strangers but I like that, for small dogs they can take up an awful lot of the bed :smilewinkgrin:.

Terri

7. Baby Bordie

Haha, definately sounds like the kind of dog i would LOVE! :D It would be like a pillow in bed.... :rolleyes: If you think they are small and take up alot of bed, you should see me when im sleeping... Watch out shelties... Im here! :001_tt2:
    BTW i dropped you some rep for all your help! Thanks...

8. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

They need grooming quite a lot, and if you don't know how to do it properly by yourself, iw ould suggest taking it to a groomer often. They do shed a lot as they have long hair.
    They are prone to hip dysplasia so you need to get hip score done i think :confused:

They can be aloof with strangers and quite reserved, so need to be socialized well. Also ike may collie breeds, they need to have high stimulation and energy. They are known to be quite vocal too.

Baby Bordie likes this.
  9. Baby Bordie

Thank you for all that info, it will be taken into consideration! :D Thanks for helping, will drop you off some rep aswel! :D

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I love shelties. I have owned 2, one I bought on breeding terms and the other I bred. Oh, and I forgot I also had a third, a very small blue merle bitch who sadly died very young in an accident. They do moult a lot, no doubt about that. And have a couple of major moults a year when they lose a huge amount of coat though if you get a bitch spayed it will stop this to a large extent. I cant imagine anything more different than a beagle and a sheltie though. If you ever considered a beagle I am not sure a sheltie would be your ideal breed or vice versa.

Just saw the post above, I wasnt aware that they suffered with hip displaysia though it is some time since I owned one. They do suffer with CEA and PRA though, or at least 20 years ago they did.

11. Baby Bordie

Thankd for all that info... Well when we considered the beagle, we looked at all the cons, and thought that we can cope with all of those, but we carried on looking for different breeds to keep our options wide! Then when we came across the sheltie, we found it was more sooted to our criteria! If taht makes any sense...?

Thanks James.

12. poshmog

poshmog PetForums Member

We have a sable and white sheltie and he is everyones best friend ,fantastic temprament ,which far outweighs the grooming issue.
    As we were in your position deciding which of the breeds was the best for us ,I have to say that they are fantastic dogs,and we love him to bits:)

13. Baby Bordie

Thankd for that advice, just makes me so much more exited to get mine! :D

14. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Hip dysplasia isn't a huge problem with shelties as far as I know.
    They are very clever wee dogs, well most of them are Arran is the exception, his nickname is Mr. Nicebutdim he really is a stupid boy.
    With the grooming when Arran was blowing his coat below is the amount of fur I got out of him in one sitting.
    [​IMG]
    You can brush their coats yourself it's not really that difficult as long as you keep on top of it and don't leave it to long between brushes.

Terri

15. Baby Bordie

Thanks for that picture... :D I would keep up the brushing everyday and a proffesional grooming from time to time!!!

16. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

It's funny you are trying to decide between a Beagle and a Sheltie because my husband and I did the same thing. They were both breeds we liked but had never had before, although we had owned a rescue Foxhound and a Border Collie years ago.

In the end we decided on the Sheltie. Kenna was the perfect choice for us. She is a magic little dog and we wish we had got one years ago.

Kenna is 14 months old now and has just finished her first season so she is dropping coat like mad. Usually her coat is not tooooo much of a problem due to regular grooming.

As mentioned earlier they are not a quiet breed but this can be reasonably well controlled with gentle training. They are excellent watch dogs and Kenna sings if a police car, ambulance or fire engine goes past with sirens on.

Kenna is highly intelligent and capable of learning almost anything we want to teach her. We still haven't taught her to put her toys away after playing with them yet...:)

We have two foster children and Kenna is fantastic with them. When the boys are riding their bike and scooter Kenna runs behind with a squeaky toy in her mouth. The boys say she is their horn, warning people to get out of the way. She joins in games and is always ready to comfort and lick away tears if necessary.

Apart from the usual doggy things like hiding half chewed pig's ears and toys in the bed, thinking it's OK to sleep with a waggy tail instead of a head on our pillows and loudly telling the man next door she can make as much noise as his very noisy car, our Sheltie is pretty close to the perfect family dog.

Baby Bordie likes this.
  17. Baby Bordie

Thank you for all that info, it is very helpful having some first hand experiance! :D:D Now everyone can see how you can have to make a choose between a beagle and a sheltie..... Because i wasnt the only one! :D

Btw... Dropped you off some rep! :D

Thanks again...
    James.

Deerhounder likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice