Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sherlock swallowed a ball :(

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by springfieldbean, Jan 25, 2012.

1. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

He was in the park yesterday afternoon and stole a puppy's plastic squeaky ball, about the size of a tennis ball and very squishy... He was running around squeaking it for ages, trying to get other dogs/humans to chase him, and I just couldn't catch him to get it off him.

And then he swallowed it.

After massive panic I managed to find our vet's number (STUPID me for not having it saved on my phone) and the vet said to just leave him and hope that nature takes its course and it comes out of one end or the other. :( If there's no sign of it in a couple of days, or he shows any sign of discomfort, to take him straight in for an op to remove it.

I am so sick with worry. I find it hard to believe that it will go through him because it was pretty big, and had a squeaker inside it. But surely if he was going to vomit it up he would have done so by now?

He's eating and acting completely normally, except for a big burp this morning. He's done two poos.

I don't think there's anything I can do except follow the vet's advice and wait, but I just wondered if anyone else's dog has done something similar, and what the outcome was? And if he does manage to pass it, surely something that size will do damage going through him? He's a very small cocker spaniel. :confused:

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

How horribly worrying; it's going to be a long wait on poo watch :(. Kilo has never swallowed a ball, but did manage a largish piece of sponge when he was pretty young. It came out without any problems - and made a magic, expanding poo :yikes::yikes:.

Really hope that nature manages to sort this and you don't need to go to the vet xx.

3. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

Poor Sherlock, that sounds quite a big ball to swallow for a dog his size, I'm not surprised you are worried!
    If it is really squishy then that's why the vet said to wait I expect but if you aren't happy you could speak to the vet again. Don't know what else you could do..
    Good luck :)

4. DT

DT Banned

Like those who have posted before can only say the same, take the vets advise and see if nature takes it course! That said if he looks of seems off colour sick, unable to go to the toilet or disressed you don't need anyone to tell you get back on to the vet sharpish!

There was a dog in the paper a couple of years back - from somewhere in scotland - a weimaraner that lived near a golfcourse! That dog had problems, and when the vet operated, according to the newspapers, 13 golf balls WERE removed from the dogs stomach!

Hope all goes well for Sherlock x

5. Barkie

Barkie PetForums Senior

I think that's every owners nightmare. Poor kid. I hope nature takes it's course soon and Sherlock's none the worse for the experience.

6. springfieldbean

Wow, 13 golf balls, that's horrible! I suppose that's the only 'good' thing about this situation - at least I saw him swallow it so I can make sure I keep a close eye on him and get him straight to the vet if he doesn't seem right.

Thanks for letting me know about the sponge, Dogless. Hopefully this ball is squishy enough to get through too. Poor Sherlock, although I really really hope he can pass it, I can't imagine it will be painless... :eek:

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Any news at all?

8. Barkie

Barkie PetForums Senior

How's Sherlock?

9. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

A good thing - the small metal reed in the squeaker will show up on the X-Ray if there is need to operate.

10. springfieldbean

Nothing... :confused:

He's still acting completely normally - eating, crapping, happy and lively as ever, while I'm having repeated dreams about this damn ball.

The vet's giving me a call back today, so I'll get some more advice then.

I'll let you know...! In the meantime, it's back to holding my breath when he squats for a poo, desperately hoping I see a flash of yellow, and heart thumping moments whenever he stretches, wondering if it's a sign of discomfort or a blockage...

While the cause of this worry just wonders what all the fuss is about :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

11. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Come on Sherlock....do a yellow poo and put everyone out of their misery :D.

13. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

:w00t: I hope your not on poo watch to long & you have a nice round one ;)

14. springfieldbean

Well, the receptionist just rang back after speaking to the vet, and basically the advice is to just carry on monitoring him. It’s good news that he’s eating and pooing as normal, and the ball should work its way out sooner or later. Unless there’s any sign of discomfort or lack of appetite, the ball’s doing no harm…

So I feel pretty relieved - if the vet's not overly worried (and I really trust our current vet) then I suppose it’s not likely that Sherlock’s going to suddenly fit and die…!

I do hope he’s not going to have to live his whole life with a plastic ball in his tummy though.

The Poo Watch continues… And I am NEVER going to let him near another squeaky ball! :eek::

15. Hertsgirl

Hertsgirl PetForums Senior

Oh my goodness your vet told you to leave it?? :confused:
    How bizarre, Cookie done the same thing a little while back and I had to get her straight in the vets for an injection to make her vomit as bits of the ball could've got stuck in her intestines and caused her damage, resulting in an operation :eek:
    Mind you, she did chew the ball into small pieces, perhaps that's why I had to take her in immediately?

16. springfieldbean

Well he said that making him vomit was unlikely to help as it would probably just bring up stomach acid rather than the ball. :confused: Maybe it is different because with Sherlock the ball went down whole? I don't know, I just hope it comes out soon so I can stop worrying.

17. Barkie

Barkie PetForums Senior

Eh dear, squeaky innards. Come on now lad lets see a squashed up Yellow Poo

18. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

I've not posted yet but have been checking for updates since reading it yesterday....still no sign of a ball shaped yellow poop yet?

C'mon Sherlock, we're all on the edge of our seats here waiting for the all clear! :)

19. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Wow! A whole ball! :eek: and its gotta come out whole? This may be a silly question, but will all his insides stretch enough for it to pass :confused: poor doggy, that is one poop he won't forget in a hurry ha ha

20. springfieldbean

Woohoo!!!!!! He threw it up this morning!!! :thumbup:

It had burst, so he didn't have any difficulty bringing it up as the plastic itself was very thin. There was also like a handful sized amount of sponge/foam, I guess this was the inside of the ball.

He'd actually started chewing the plastic again before I got to him :eek: God, dogs really are stupid! And this stuff REEKED. Five days in his tummy - not pleasant. Thank god for laminate floors!!!

I can't say how relieved I am! I feel like I can breathe again! :laugh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice