Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sheltie Dog won't Toilet on Street!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Gemma83, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Gemma83

Gemma83 PetForums Senior

Hi, I have a 6 month old sheltie with the strongest bladder known to man!
    For quite a while now he stays dry while we are out and at night, and will quite happliy take himself out to his spot in the back garden (sometimes with a little reminder from us if he is tired). But he won't go at all away from the house and garden - not even on our driveway. I have tried everything I can think off, taking his soiled paper to the street, I got a special spray which is surposed to encorage him to go, tried taking him out as soon as I get in so he is really desprate and he still waits till he is back in the gardern.

I worry about taking him too far in the car for a walk in case he gets unomfortable. He has been on walks on other dogs and they have gone in front of him, but he still wont!

Has anyone had this problem with theirs, or can think of any ideas what to do??????

We do go to puppy class and I have tried all of their surgestions, but as yet none have worked, we are now thinking of a one-to-one maybe as we do want to be able to take him on whole days out and on holiday.

When I say - on street - I mean away from home, he regually goes for walks in parks, woods, fields, by river etc - and he won't go at all!!!!!!!!!!!

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

no need to worry about taking him out and about he will go if he has too
    my dogs tyr not to in the streets and i dont like them to
    they will on grass in the park and that.
    give him time just go out as normally would he'll go sooner or later.

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Often not wanting to toilet off territory is a sign of being a little nervous and lacking confidence, doesn't want other dogs to know hes been there. As dogs start to feel more confident, they start to go off territory.

4. Gemma83

Gemma83 PetForums Senior

Shelties are timid by nature so I guess that could be it, he is getting a lot more confident with puppy class, but can get very easily distrated and the smallest noise or smell needs to be investaged, so I don't know how much of it is him not being able to focus on the "job". He does have a go word that he knows, and I worry about over using when out trying to get him to go in case the word stops working at home.

5. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Try to keep it as stress free as you can, giving him stress will just sap his confidence, he will do it when he is ready, as you say his confidence is already lifting, so hopefully it will only be a matter of time.

6. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

It'll come with time. My dog plays in the front garden with my kids, runs through the house and asks at the back door when she needs to go. She rarely goes when taken for a walk and will only go 'on command' when we are out. Good luck :)

7. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

Our two wont go anywhere but same place in back garden that hubby concreted for easier to clean and they are nearly 12 mths old, have never done anything outside yet, though we go lots of walks in the woods and moors , and also neither have started to cock leg yet .

8. Gemma83

Gemma83 PetForums Senior

While out in woods today he found the muddest spot he could and had a huge wee! We were all so proud and we had treats and cuddles ready for him when he was done, hopefully he won't forget that he can do it :) :) :)

9. carol

carol PetForums VIP

thats good
    hope he keeps it up fingers crossed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice