Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sheldon wont come home

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by hayleyb, Aug 2, 2009.

1. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

So Sheldon has been goin out about 8 everynite for about 2-3 months and comin back in bout half 9 jst as it gets dark. He has been doin this no problem untill the last maybe week or 2.

Normally to get him in a jst had to go pspspspspspsps or make a blurtin noise and he'd come runnin to see me. However now wen he hears me he lies on the floor watchin me, when i go to get him he runs away.

Tonight has been really bad, ive been out half an hour tryin to get him in. He kept runnin away from me but then cryin as if he was lost? Oh came down to get him in coz he's sturner than me but didnt work. I eventually got him without a struggle, he was sittin on a wall and i jst went over and he didnt even flicker.
    Do you think i shud change his routine so he goes out earlier and comes in earlier or is there a way i can get him in wen i want him.

i am giving him treats everytime he comes in so there is an incentive, but i jst feel as if he doesnt wanna be in the house anymore, as if its not a good house to be in?

Am i doin somethin wrong here? I'd like to think i am the best "mam" in the world but im now doubtin that

Any help would be a god send

2. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I wonder if there is a female cat around your area who is in season?

3. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

theres 2 cats who come in the garden not sure if either of them are female. would this matter even tho he has been neutered?

thanx for you reply

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Why do you bring him in at night?
    It sounds to me like he has figured out all the fun happens at night and he doesn't want to come in!
    I rarley see my cat's at night unless they have brought a mouse/rat/bird/moth in and woke the dogs up. They love it outside at night and sleep all day :)

x

5. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Iuse to get mine in at night before we had pedigree puss cats .As its when most cats get involved with cat fights and rta accidents so vet told me. as most cats not very visable and most accidents happen when the pubs kick out and people get careless. I know the fighting bit may be correct as mine was a nightmare for getting into fights. we then kept him in after 9 and they reduced dramactically. Most cat fights are at dawn or dusk. for some reason.

6. sarahberra

sarahberra PetForums Member

I am so sorry. I hope your kitty comes home soon. Just keep lookin.

7. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

It wouldnt work for me for him to be out all nite. Theres no way he could get in if he needed, so if he was attacked or anythin it wud be fight till the death coz theres no where for him to run, and i dnt want him to turn into a cat that sleeps all day and goes out all nite. defeats the point of having him if i dnt get to see him or play with him.

Thanx for your reply tho

8. Crocky

Crocky PetForums Junior

Maybe this will work: let him go outside, but make sure he hasn't eaten yet.
    Then, when you want him to come inside again, call him and rattle his bowl.
    If he's hungry enough, he'll probably 'race' home! And when he's eating, you can close the door behind him...
    Good luck! :wink5:

9. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

ill try this 2nite. jst always thought maybe he wudnt enjoy himself if he was hungry.

its strange that hes jst started doin it. and coz im havin to use his treats to get him in it means im reinforcin his behaviour.

10. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Yep Ditto it's the most exciting time for them ! :thumbup: x

11. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

i do what crocky suggested, my 2 older cats have learnt that when they come home at night is suppertime and dont usualy have any probs getting them home

with marmalade i put the bathroom light on (it shines onto the back garden) he see's the light and comes running lol midnight likes the bowls rattled to call him home

12. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

well he is out atm so i will see how it goes in few mins.

the confusin thing is is why its jst happenin now, if he is reaslising its fun on a nite then wudnt he have realised 3 months ago wen he started goin out properly?

13. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

well amazingly he has came in no problems. i seen him tryin to play with the other cat early so that may have worn him out and i jst enticed him in with some new treats. and it worked. was touch and go up the staires but the doors were shut so i was a case of stay at bottom where i can catch him or come into house where he'll get more treats.

he chose the latter and i am very happy :D

14. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I didn't think of cat fights and stuff.
    Yeah, totaly reasonable to have them in overnight if they need you to open the door :)
    My dad is not alowed to fit a cat flap so they call the cat in before they go to bed.

Round here there are literally no cars during the night, everone seems to just settle in after dinner time. My cat's are very road sensible though.. They will like on it if it is warm, but I think as soon as they feel the vibrations of a car coming they leg it.

They do get into fights, but they can come home. I would not be able to keep my pair in at night... I had to once when they were due at the vet's the next morning and they were so loud! And climbing the curtains! Lol

I agree what has been said about not feeding him until you want him in, then he will know to come in for his supper :)

x

15. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

yeah it seemed to work last nite, or i jst caught him off gaurd.

my flat is in a quietish place but the roads still get used durin nite. mostly off boy racers it sounds like your at silverstone on an f1 day sometimes.

fingers crossed that 2nite is jst as easy he he

thankyou all for your replies, :D

16. Crocky

Crocky PetForums Junior

I'm glad it went well yesterday! I hope it will be the same today... :)

17. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

thankyou very much, fingers crossed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice