Sheepy’s Kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by lillytheunicorn, Dec 3, 2017.

1. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Member

Sheepy kitty had 5 lovely kittens during the early hours of Saturday morning. Well that was an experience, holding your cat down while she gives birth to her first kitten as she panicked and tried to run around the room. Once she had the first Kitten, maternal
    Instinct kicked in and not a peep out of her while she gave birth speedily do the other 4. Babe 3 was Breech and a bit shell shocked so took a bit of reviving, but he is the bully knocking the others off the teats and put on 12grams during the 1st day. Kittens weighed between 126g and 138g the smallest two only put on 6grams the first day so will watch them closely. Apparently under the sofa bed is better than the kittening pen made in the sturdi as she has moved the kittens under there. 507B9042-C04C-4BDC-A573-5531E3570137.jpeg

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Congratulations

lillytheunicorn likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Lovely news ! Congratulations.

4. Summercat

Summercat PetForums Senior

@lillytheunicorn
    She is very pretty, I think she will have gorgeous kittens. They look like they have her coloring.

5. Missysmum2

Missysmum2 PetForums Senior

Congratulations :)

more photos pleeeeeeeaaaaase !

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Congratulations....can't wait to see more shots of the little fuzzballs as they grow.

Clairabella and lillytheunicorn like this.
  7. lillytheunicorn

Thank you everyone.
    She had three black Tabbies, a black tabby and white and a black and white bicolour (possibly tabby too, he has tabby markings on his neck but not obvious on his tail or back at the moment)

All putting on weight nicely the fatties put 24g on since yesterday and the not so fatties 14g.

I haven’t really taken many photos as Sheepy will allow me to weigh them but thats enough for her and she will try and take them off me, if I don’t put them straight back in bed. I do not want to distress her by handling them for too long.

Meet Frank the bicolour, he was the breech that required quite a bit of reviving. Not sure where the name came from, just thought I better name him if he wasn’t going to survive and it’s stuck. 8CF7C964-EA0F-4CC9-BAB5-359AE02F4C41.jpeg

SbanR, chillminx, lea247 and 5 others like this.
  8. Miss Saffy

Miss Saffy PetForums Junior

Awwww, congratulations on you and your cat for her kittens! It must be a very exciting time for you :)

9. Pinto

Pinto PetForums Member

Congratulations, do they all have homes to go to.

10. lillytheunicorn

@Pinto Thank you, No they do not yet, but I will not advertise them until they are 6-8 weeks old as they will not leave for their news homes until they are 14 weeks old and neutered.

Clairabella, Pinto and lea247 like this.
  11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

Very wise, people don't want to wait weeks after seeing an advert to visiting the kittens. I don't advertise mine until 8-9 weeks.

Clairabella and lillytheunicorn like this.
  12. lillytheunicorn

And selfishly, I want to enjoy them without worrying about people coming round to visit for a while.

Clairabella and OrientalSlave like this.
  13. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Oh, the holding down bit... Man do I hate that. The line I'm working with at th eminute panics at the pain of birth, so it takes 2 sets of hands... One to reassure the pointy end while the other gives a nice strong tug to kitten to guide it completely out with mum's first push rather than lots of repetition of pushing and pain for her, to minimise her distress. she doesn't run away when not pushing, none of htem did. They yall wanted to give birth in a litterbox (thank god I always keep 1 brand new one on hand which has now just become the birthing box), but the screaming is what gets me. They scream with every delivery, and it cuts me right to the heart as it sounds so sore, and I can't do anything to make it better. These cats have a strong bond with me and will tell me if something's wrong, then show me so I can fix it, and when they ask you to make the pain go away or that funny things are coming out of them, or that they're embarrassed that they've wet themselves or their back ends are dirty, I just feel so, so sorry for them because for once, I can't make it stop, and I can't imagine how betrayed that makes them feel. I know I'm humanising a lot, but they really do do this, and indicate where the problem was. I had one girl who was cuddling my OH and waiting for me when her first set of waters broke on the bed, and she was so embarrassed, she wouldn't settle to birth until she'd seen me change the bedding... The bond is that strong. The birthing is one of the real down sides of breeding for me... I hate every minute of it for the poor cat, and feel completely helpless, and like the cruelest owner in the world. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't scream.

14. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

Thank goodness my cats are not like that. Lola delivered two litter of 6 without a peep, and wouldn't let me see.