Sheepdog material or maybe try something else?

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by JROI, Sep 8, 2016.

1. JROI

JROI PetForums Newbie

Hello everybody!
    I have a Collie/Kelpie (Australian sheepdog) called Bruno, he's just over a year old. He showed up at our doorstep with his sister at about 2months old. We live in a farming area, a lot of farmers around here dump unwanted dogs, it's very common. It's likely that he came from a long line of working dogs.
    He has a lot of energy, and takes direction well, he has bonded with me a lot and follows me everywhere. At the moment we've learned 'Here', 'Sit', 'Down', 'Stay' and 'Go', we use these when playing ball and using the hose as he has fixations/obsessions with both of these things. I can now make him stay a few metres in front of me, tell him 'Here' and then 'Down' half way to me, I repeat this a few times before he gets to my feet. We've learned all this in 6 days (he was my parents dog and they never trained him before this).
    I think that this is amazing considering it's only been 6 days, I teach him something and within 3 attempts he's pretty much got it down.
    Problem-
    Today I took him in with the chickens, I had him on a long rope (just incase), I just let him roam around to see how he acted towards them. As I thought, he began stalking them, but instead of naturally grouping them he seemed to be trying to break one away from the rest of the group, and stalking it in to a corner. The chicken flapped and tried to escape and Bruno lunged towards it, I gave a tug on the the rope and brought him back to me and called it a day. He listened to me somewhat when stalking the chickens but it took a few attempts to get him to do what I wanted, he was fixated.
    Any advice? I don't have the money to pay for a trainer, and I enjoy doing it myself. The only reason I'm doing it is to keep him focused and active. Maybe Agility would be better?

2. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

Many young collies will show this kind of stalking behaviour before peeling one sheep/hen/duck etc off - usually to try and worry it, if given a chance. If you have no sheepdog training experience, no sheep of your own and cannot afford to employ an experienced person to help, I would definitely avoid doing herding. Your best bet is to teach him to leave your hens alone, and have a go at agility or flyball (or another sport) instead.

Burrowzig likes this.
  3. JROI

JROI PetForums Newbie

You're right, trying to do it myself was mainly a challenge for me, as eventually I want to be able to do this kind of thing. Maybe agility would be a safer option. I might reconsider getting a trainer in though, we'll see, maybe I can dip into my pocket. :p
    But the main thing is that I'm able to keep his mind active, he already has some quirky obsessions that I'd like to get rid of.