Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shed problem

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by stranger23, Nov 14, 2012.

1. stranger23

stranger23 PetForums Senior

Hi i have a 4ft albino corn snake that i was given from a friend, we have had her for about 10 months now and she has always shed fine.
    She shed about 2/3 weeks ago and just now i noticed she is shedding again but this time its not all in one go like it should be :eek:

What could be the reason for this bad shed should i be worried? she is eating fine and drinking as normal, hot end is 27.2C and cool end is 20.3C on the temp gauge right now. She seems happy and is bright just her tail end that didnt come off so she is now rubbing on everything to get it off

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

The first thing I would check would be humidity

3. stranger23

stranger23 PetForums Senior

She is on the branch that is in front of it and is in such a bad mood i didnt want to move her, it was fine earlier today when i saw it was about 40% that was a couple of hours ago.

Would giving her a spray help her? She has never shed like this before so was a bit worrying and i was thrown in at the deep end never having a snake before but my mate couldnt keep her so ive been trying to get everything right and get the right info from all the rubbish that is available online :rolleyes:

4. Nagini

Nagini Guest

the temps are a bit on the low side. you should be aiming for 30°C the hot end and 21°C the cool end (70-86F) you could try putting some sphagnum moss in a tub (which she should find her way into) to aid the shed process (this should be kept damp but not damp enough so you can squeeze water out) other than that corns don't need humidity in their viv's so i'd be really very careful if you do decide to spray the tank.

#4 Nagini, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  5. Falice

Falice PetForums Newbie

I know this post was a while ago now, but what I do when one of my snakes has a bad shed is give them a bath. I know a few other people that do this as well. I make sure the water is around the same temp as what the hot side is and make it deep enough so the water just covers the snake at its widest point. Leave them in there for a few minutes or until the water gets too cold and it works well! I know some snakes can get rather stressed by being in the bath though so be careful, but mine have always been fine in there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice