Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shearwaters

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by springerpete, Oct 26, 2012.

1. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

Flyte brought me the first of this years Shearwaters today. It was I hasten to add unharmed, and was placed in a box untill I could take it somewhere safe to release it.
    I'm sure that many of you that live on the coast will have had experience of these migratory birds, for those of you who haven't they're a very pretty sea bird, smaller than a gull, that travel to winter in the arctic circle, or so I'm told.
    The problem they have is if for whatever reason they get driven onto the land and end up on the ground they cant take off, they need to take wing from cliff tops, also, you need to release at dusk, in daylight the herring gulls will beat the hell out of them for some reason.
    Anyway, we went this evening and released this one safely, but undoubtedly he/she wont be the last we'll see these coming months my old Bracken and Dylan must have brought me dozens over the years, and every one of them tried to peck me...Ungrateful buggers...

2. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

Reading some of your posts I find very calming. For some reason ones like this remind me of a children's wireless programme I vaguely remember was it called "Romany"? Keep them coming.

3. springerpete

Thank you, I'm glad that my posts a calming effect on you, I shall endevour to keep you amused, and, if I can, calm.
    Dont remember 'Romany' the only programme I can remember from those far off days is 'The Goon Show' I was a big fan as a child, my wife thinks it's responsible for my surreal sense of humour.

4. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

Ungrateful would be right...

You can just imagine the scene when it got home..........

Mrs Shearwater: "What time d'you call this?? You went out for some food for the chicks this morning and you get back NOW! In case you haven't noticed it's dark already and I bet that big beak of yours is empty!"

Shearwater: "But, but, dear....I had the most shocking day... I went out for food and got chased by the herring gull gang..."

Mrs Searwater: "What ALL DAY? I don't think so!"

Shearwater: "No dear not all day. I got chased inland and had to land to shake them off. I was just trudging back to the cliff and this huge hairy wolf grabbed me and..."

Mrs Shearwater: "A wolf! Ha! There are no wolves in Wales. You've been down to the pub with your mates, while I've been working my wings to the bone getting food for YOUR chicks."

Shearwater: "Honestly dear, it was a wolf. A big red one. It had HUGE teeth and it carried me off to a HUMAN!!! The human put me in a box. I tried to get away, honestly dear I tried my hardest. I even bit the human... I've been in that box all day. The human tossed me out at nightfall..... Honestly dear, I came straight home"

Shearwater looks anxiously and earnestly at his wife and hops from one foot to the other.

Mrs Shearwater sniffs Shearwater's breath. "Wolf indeed," she snorts. "A likely story...."

5. springerpete

Brilliant.. Only you Ozrex..Only you.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice