Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

She peed in the middle of her bed??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Shrap, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Right so my foster pup Cassie is approx 10 months old. I've had her just about a month now and we've had no accidents really apart from at night time. I make sure I don't feed her any later than 6pm so now she doesn't poop overnight but she just cannot hold her bladder for 8 hours. I've been having to get up after 7 hours to take her out and then if I go back to bed I sleep through my alarm. So if you'll excuse the language I'm now fecking shattered. Back at Uni now and my god is it tedious.
    Why can't she hold her bladder for 8 hours? If she can hold it for 7 I'm inclined to say it's not a UTI. And why would she choose to pee in the middle of her bed instead of another part of the crate?

Her background is that she was just locked in a kitchen all day... That's about as much as I know.

Dino could hold his bladder for 8 hours at 8 weeks of age so she really should be able to?? She's approx 12-13kg. She knows to wait I think... Am I going to be losing out on sleep until she has a new home? Not having that hour is really taking its toll some days :(

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

So you could go to bed an hour or so earlier, get up to take her out and still get enough sleep. Or doze on the sofa in the evening.

It's quite common for dogs to prefer peeing on something absorbent. If you swap her bed for a plastic one with an old towel in the bottom, you'll have less laundry to do. Just a plastic bed and she might just hold on, even though she'd be less comfortable to sleep on.

It's also possible, I suppose, that she's peeing in her sleep. Could be an internal deformity or low level UTI? Early spaying is known to increase the chance of incontinence. Could be why she was locked in that kitchen?

If you can't cope with this aspect of fostering, maybe both of you would be better off if she were fostered elsewhere. Not knocking you, I can see it's hard having to get up every night and be knackered all day.

3. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

not a subject i know much about but Tummel went through a "need to pee badly" phase when he hit 6 months...i lifted his water bowl at about half 7, let him out at 8 then again at 11(or later depending on when we went to bed).

Maybe give your vet a call and see what he says, i like burrowzigs advice on the plastic bed, maybe try some pee pads as well?

4. Set_Nights

Set_Nights PetForums VIP

Cassie isn't spayed.

On that not I have just had a brain wave :p. Cassie is still in season right, albeit on her way out? I have actually read before that some bitches pee a lot more frequently when in season and sometimes can't hold it as well. Same as some feel quite under the weather during their season, I suppose it can be quite uncomfortable. Makes sense if you think about it really since her hormones are going all over the place and if it is her first season (which I think it is?) her internals are physically changing a lot right now too as she matures and is coping with the hormone hit.

You have only had her the month so she has basically spent her whole time with you either being in season or coming into it. Possibly she has no problem at all usually and you just haven't had a chance to see her normal behaviour?

5. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

She's been finished her season since Saturday, swelling has gone down a lot although she still pees in threes. I thought that was more of a marking behaviour though. She peed next to her food bowl while I was at Uni today (4 hours). I would wonder if it's anxiety but She's fine over night and has been fine previously through the day..

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Oscar did this for a while and i took the bedding out of his bed and it stopped. He had a simple plastic kidney bed at the time with a bath mat in it so i just removed the bath mat.

The only times he has ever peed in his bed has been when he has had something soft in it.

He has the bath matt back and is fine these days so it wasn't a permanent thing.

7. Set_Nights

Set_Nights PetForums VIP

Bum, so much for that idea :eek:. I suppose it is possible she just has a small bladder... 7 hours isn't "that" ridiculous. Or maybe has got into the habit of waking at that time. What happens if you go to bed late take her out, does she manage to sleep later? When is the last time she eats and drinks before bed? Mia couldn't last past 5:30 in the morning for the first month or so I got her (9-10 months old) and I contemplated taking her water away before bed. I don't know if she just physiologically coudn't hold it at that time or if she had just got into the habit of waking at that time from her previous home. Whatever it was though it sorted itself out though and she can now hold it for over 12 hours.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice