Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

She doesn't listen!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 8, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I was just trying to teach Dixie a new trick but the problem is.. she is really interested in the treat, she knows that the clicker means a treat, but she wont do it without the treat in my hand.

I tried it with a trick she already knows, 'beg' or 'sit up' she will only do it with my hand signal. I don't even need to say the word. if I do say just the word without the hand signal she won't do it.

How do I get her to listen as well as watch??

The only commands she will do without hand signal are sit, down, come, speak and fetch. How can I teach her new trick (thankyou- down on her front legs) if she won't listen? She is just far too interested in the treat! If I don;t have a treat in my hand she looks at where they are.

x

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I really dunno hun, I managed to teach Sky paw and she's suddenly gone 10 steps backwards with her sit and stay :rolleyes:

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Yeah, she seems to have forgotten 'back' which is my fault I haven't felt the need to use it and now she has forgotten.

She does know F off though. Lol. 'Go away' just doesn't work, she looks at you as if to say 'are you sure?' but if you tell her to F off she will go lie down somewhere.

Maybe she just isn't in the right mood. Afterall, I did just make her wear a halti so I could take them a quick walk without getting my arms pulled out their sockets! Lol She's probably in the huff with me.

x

4. Dundee

Dundee Banned

You need to train for each thing separately. Dogs don't generalise. If you've taught her with a hand signal, then add the word. After repetitions with the word then drop the hand signal. Also, try not to be too predictable. Keep the treats on a shelf when you are working. Treats are find for luring, but the dog should be paying attention to you, not the treat. Once you are satisfied they know the command, and understand what you are asking, then don't treat everytime.

Just as an aside, dogs are masters at body language, and it follows that they learn from hand signals much more readily. A real test, and something that is done at a good training club, is to actually see how much your dog really does know by testing to see if they respond to voice only / hand signals only / whistle only etc. It usually brings up some surprising results - and some home truths ;)

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I think Sky is the type who learns better from hand signals. If I put my hand out she'll give me her paw, pointing means she has to go on her bed and clicking my fingers makes her sit/lie down. Shame she doesn't do it all the time though lol!

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Thanks Dundee:)

Am I trying to teach her 'thank-you' the wrong way do you think, by luring her down with the treat, and clicking as soon as her front legs go down?
    Is there any other way I can teach this?

Maybe I better work on her 'beg' then. And just use the hand signal and clicker until its perfect then add the word and gradually phase out the hand signal? I want her to be able to beg at a distance.

x

7. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Sorry - I don't teach 'thank-you' :blushing: what are you trying to achieve - is it a basic down?

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

It's bowing down on her front legs. I was originaly going to use the word 'bow' but sounds too like down.
    Like this
    [​IMG]

9. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I would say that luring is ok initially, unless you want to free shape her tricks. This takes longer becuase you are waiting for the dog to work out what you want her to do in order to earn the click. Look on youtube for vids on how shaping behaviour with a clicker

If the trick is already in place and you just want to swap from a hand cue to a verbal cue, then this will get you the quickest results! Why do you want to withdraw the hand cue btw?

10. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Oh! Is that a thank you?! I know that as Prayer!!

Click when she stretches in that position, then eventually you can add a name to it.

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Well maybe not remove it, but so that she can do it with the cue or without.

Just found this on teaching ''take a bow''

Makes sense :)

x

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Yeah I can't use 'bow' because I think it sounds like down so my OH suggested calling it 'thank-you' as it sounds like no word we use for her.

x

13. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Oh :D

With any behaviour you are trying to teach you can use the treat as a lure and once achieved then click and treat. Once the dog realises what they have to do to get the treat, then you can introduce the command - doesn't really matter what command you use as long as it's the same word each time.
    The next stage is only to click and treat when done properly. Usually, they start to anticipate or they may do it half heartedly - this is where you only click when it's done well. Hope that makes sense.

Don't worry, it's not uncommon for us to think we have taught our dogs something only to find it hasn't learnt it as well as (or in the way) we thought they had.

14. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Of to bed now before I fall asleep at the pc! :D Damn PF and it's addictiveness :D

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice