Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

shaving a dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by zozzen, Jul 3, 2009.

1. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

i've rescued a feral dog a month ago. His coat was very dry and messy. After i gave him some supplement on this and brushed him every day, his coat has improved a little bit, but just not good.

my friends said shaving him would be an option, but i've heard that it could cause a negative psychological effect on a dog.

So i'm wondering:
    - my dog seems to have trust on me now. Is it time shaving him? Should i wait ?
    - what's the possible side-effects for shaving?
    - how long it takes to grow his fur back? (he's a mixed toy breed with about 5cm hair. )
    - does shaving help me rebuild a shining coat?

2. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Maybe that's just the way his coat is? One of my cross breeds looks like a brillo pad when his coat is unclipped but its just the way he is! I do clip him for the summer but it's done using clippers not shaving and it leaves around 1/2 inch of coat. If you have any reason to believe your dog will be stressed out by being clipped then I'd not bother, and maybe just trim him with scissors, or get a professional dog groomer to do it for you?

Sorry meant to say, for my dogs fur to grow back from a full shave to full length usually takes 6 months, all depends on the breeding thought really.

#2 JSR, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  3. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

A few days ago i met a girl who has a dog akin to mine. The dog has been properly raised. His fur is very shiny, and his whole body size is almost the twice as mine, so i guess my dog should be like this.

Thanks for your advice. I think I better clip him rather than shaving him at the moment he's been recovered from his bad past. it takes too long to grow his fur and it's too risky shaving him.

#3 zozzen, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never heard of shaving a dog, are you sure you have this right. Dogs are clipped with electric clippers with blades that will cut to whatever length you want the coat. If the dog is scared of the clippers it might get a bit upset but actually being clipped will not affect it, it isnt going to look in the mirror and be emotionally scarred because it looks different. I should think if the coat is very tatty that a clip should tidy it up and let new hair grow through. If you are not sure what you are doing then take the dog to a professional groomer to do. And well done for rescuing it, I assume you are no in this country so no one here can understand what the dog has been through.

5. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

thanks for all advices. I just got back from "professional bathing and clipping" . The bathing....is just as good as mine, and the clipping is really disappointing. The shop knows pet clipping is a money-making business, but they just don't know how.

I think i better leave this issue. He's ...ugly, but he's healthy which is actually good enough.

6. what breed is he or what mix do you think he is?

Some dogs naturally have dry wiry coats which might not look the most attractive. Perhaps if he is wire haired his coat has blown and needs stripping?

Sorry to hear you were dissapointed with the clipping. Perhaps use a different groomer next time. Billy's groomer is very good and his first couple of visits only involved a general bath and tidy up - going through the motions without stressing him out.

The only breed that i know of which requires shaving is the chinese cresteds.

Some breeds need stripping or clipping to keep them looking at their most attractive. Why not post a piccy of him and you may get some more tailored advice.

If as you say this is his general appearance though, he might not be the prettiest dog but he is healthy and happy and loved.

x

7. Bryn's Mum

Bryn's Mum PetForums Newbie

Our 13 year old collie Floss, her coat was looking rough and she hates being brushed as her undercoat is so thick so we gave her a number 2 clip all over, a home clip we are not proffesional, she stood and let us do it without any fuss, she looks like a granny pup, she loved it and looks great.
    Why don't you have a go yourself it will grow back and they won't hold it against you if it's not perfect.

8. liporidex

liporidex PetForums Newbie

I have never heard of shaving a dog, are you sure you have this right

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice