Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sharpei Advice/ stool eating

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by tony fairfax, Apr 1, 2020.

1. tony fairfax

tony fairfax PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Currently got a 1 year old Shar Pei, who is absolutely gorgeous who we love to bits. She currently shares the house with a little french bulldog - they get on splendidly.

Over the past 6 months, our Shar Pei, Lola, has always had a thing for eating stools. Both her own as well as our other dogs. We have tried everything. We try to clean the yard whenever she goes out as well as letting the dogs out separately. We have tried changing her food, pineapple juice and stool tablets. Nothing works. If she sees poo - she eats it!

This had become more worrying the last few weeks as my wife has given birth to a newborn baby. So constantly keeping an eye on Lola in the garden proves difficult. Also hygiene is a concern.

We are at our wits end. She just isnt showing signs of stopping this disgusting habit.

Positive and constructive advice is appreciated.

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

The problem is to dogs it isn't a disgusting habit - my dogs love a bit of sheep poo or rabbit droppings and whilst they won;t eat it from the garden, a couple of mine will eat dog and fox poo if they find it in the field.

This is why keeping any garden/yard areas clean is the first and most important step in breaking the habit. And teaching a good 'leave' command is the second.

However, if the behaviour is new then we do look at whether our dogs have become anxious about something. You mention that the behaviour has emerged over the last 6 months and that your wife has just given birth. Correlating the two would suggest that your Sharpei may have been confused about what has been happening and this has caused her to become anxious. So give her time and space to settle again and make sure that no one is adding to her stress by making the issue bigger than it is.

In fact we have to be careful about trying to correct our dog for the behaviour, as if our timing has been poor in the past they may think they are being told off for the poo and need to eat it before we see it next time.

Use rewards (high end treats) to teach her to leave any poo you see and praise her well. Spend some time with her on her own so that you can help her relax. And as it also is a habit, it is important to keep the yard clean and always stay with her when out.

J

3. tony fairfax

Hi J appreciate your advice, its started originally when she was a pup, however, the last 6 months has been a lot worse. The yard is kept clean for her, but as you know its hard constantly throughout the day.I clean the yard for 3-4 times a day and fairy liquid the yard to get rid of any trace of poo . Ir and my wife spend lots of time with her, she is amazing with the baby and loves her. Especially constantly wagging her tail every time she is about.

Appreciate everyone's help, really would love to stop this as it isn't good for the dog or hygenic.

4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

It's realy difficult to stop once a dog has a 'taste' for it. I've mentioned this before (so the other others will be saying, "oh, here he goes again"!) but I took on a retired army search dog when he was just 8 years old. He also 'suffered' from coprophagia (yes, there's a term for it) and everything we've tried has failed to stop him - and he's now coming up 17! Essentially, we gave in - bar worming him more often (Vet's advice) and cleaning up the garden as frequently as possible. Nonetheess he will still find some - especially when we're out on walks (those antisocial eejits who don't bag their dog's crap!!) Worse yet, the 'new' dog (7 years old ,we've had him from five years old) also seems to have picked up the habit from the older dog (though not as obsessively, thankfully)! He certainly ddn't do it for the first year we had him. :Banghead
    I've researched coprophagia in dogs quite a bit and no one really seems to know why dogs do it - they clearly just see it as a snack. Mine obviously came from a kennel environment and one theory is that dogs sometimes 'clean up after themselves' (perhaps having seen their owners picking up (all these theories are tenuous)) - I was told by a RAF dog handler that it could result from mine being punished for crapping in his kennel area (dog handlers are not the cleverest members of the military) which would be a really clever association by the dog and - to me - stretching the bounds a bit. I also heard that dog poo is often not very well digested, so to another dog it is just food - I cannot vouch for that one, either! And that's the point: if you use 'punishment' (and I'm not suggesting you would or have), you may cause further problems regarding eating anything!
    Your best bet is - as 'Jamiegoeswalkies' suggests - to try and redirect your dog onto a toy or a better treat, or whatever. However, to do that you have to be there to witness the 'event' pretty consistently - and react in time (and with a new baby I can see that's particularly difficult)...AND from my limited experience NOTHING tastes better than dog poo to those dogs who are hooked!:eek:
    Sorry I cannot offer some magic solution - if you find a way please do report back; I'd love to know an answer. :(
    PS, it's a good reason not to let your dog lick your face!!

5. tony fairfax

Thanks so much, ian for your advice its really hard. the tablets from pets at home just didn't do anything. Hopefully, we can get through this. Just the dangers it presents to the baby its good and well work with her the best we can. Just hopefully doesn't come to the point of having to give her up.

6. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

Struth! I wouldn't give her up because she eats dog poo. I'm sure you can work around it sufficiently.

7. tony fairfax

Hi Ian

Its a decision i do not want to have to make, considering she has been doing it for an awfully long time. However if i can not sort this problem then i will have put my newborn before her, its a devastating decision but it can seriously be a danger to young children especially the eyes.I will continue to hopefully find a cure to this, as i have been doing so literally going down every road as i can. Hence the forum advice. Does anyone know of sharpei behaviourist maybe that could work with her. Sharpei are a different type to any bread so needs somebody that knows how to help us.

8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Bearing in mind your new baby won't be mobile for some months, you do have time to work on this.

9. tony fairfax

hence needing to make sure its sorted and the right advice is taken

10. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've owned 2 Shar-Pei, my last beautiful girl died of kidney failure nine months ago.

I can only tell you how I've always trained all my dogs including my Pei not to touch poo or any other "undesirables" they find.

First you say you let her out into the yard to poo, presumably on her own?. Don't! Go with her (same applies to your other dog) and the SECOND she starts to show interest in the poo say an emphatical "Yuck" or something similar! She'll most likely hesitate and the MOMENT she does, praise her effusively and tell her what a very good girl she is. (Pei love to please) You can also give her a high value treat! The most important thing is to be CONSISTENT and do it EVERY time she or your other dog go outside.

Pei are extremely clean dogs and both of mine were very particular where they did a poo and always chose a place well away from the house. It could be she'd eating the poo because she can't find anywhere far enough away where she's happy to leave it without having to "clean up" after herself and your other dog.(Pei have a logic of their own) Does she poo when she's out on a walk?

What do you feed her? In my experience Pei only need to poo once or at the most twice a day. They also need to be fed a good quality grain free diet. My dogs are mainly fed a home cooked diet of meat/fish and vegetables, but they also have canned wet food and kibble sometimes. I add a supplement called Humac to their food which is basically folic acid in its natural form. It's Hungarian but obtainable in the UK and expensive but might help with the poo eating. Cobalaplex made by Protexin is similar and no doubt cheaper.

Pei are different to other breeds in that they have a completely different thought process so perhaps if you can provide more information about Lola I might be able to help more.

https://humac.pet/

https://www.protexin.com/products/cobalaplex-new-product/6222

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  11. tony fairfax

Hi magyarmum , thanks so much for your advice really appreciate and will give it a try. Lola tends to go for poo every time we go for walks sometimes twice even. On a day without walks will only poo once. I originally had Lola on royal canine but she seemed to generally dislike it after a while. so swapped her to burns which she loved, however, the protein content was too high, the vet had told us. The vet said for the poo eating the best food for it may be to curve it would Harringtons grain-free which we swapped to. Lola will never and has never dirtied inside the house from a puppy which is some going.
    Really appreciate your help, thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice