Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sharing food

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tsuyama, May 12, 2010.

1. Tsuyama

Tsuyama PetForums Junior

Hi all,

Maybe you don't remember me but I was posting on here a few months ago asking about bonding.
    Sorry I haven't been around for a while, we were busy moving house amongst other things. Anyway, I've finally got the Internet up and running so I'm back:D

Background: We've got a 1 year old neutered buck (Jake) and a 7 month old spayed doe (Marrin). We did the bonding at the same time as the house move and it went really well. We introduced them in the car and then kept them in a smal cage for 24 hours before expanding that cage to the size it is now for 24 hours then let them free in their new room (They are allowed to run free from evening until morning every night) There was a bit of circling, fur pulling, mounting and biting but nothing serious at all so we let them get on with it. That was about 3 weeks ago and they've been good since then.

The problem we have now is that when the time comes to give them pellets the girl (who is bigger) doesn't let the boy eat any. She pushes his head away or drags the bowl underneath her body, she isn't aggressive but he just bows his head and sulks, he doesn't try to fight back. Does anyone else have this problem or any ideas on what we can do?

When they lived in seperate cages the girl always ate all her pellets as fast as she could as soon as they arrived in the bowl but the boy used to nibble at them throughout the day and never seemed in too much of a hurry. Now whenever he goes to the bowl it's empty because she's eaten them all.

2. BattleKat

BattleKat PetForums Senior

probably better suggestions but give them two bowls? If that doesn't work try shutting him somewhere with his own bowl in the afternoon when he might be hungrier and eat them quicker?

3. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

I have a similar problem in that Lottie will eat anything and just scoffs it down in seconds whereas Alan takes gentle nibbles and so takes longer to eat.

Lottie used to steal Alans treats out of his mouth and would eat all the veg before he even got a sniff of it. I have to feed him away from her now or act as bodyguard while he eats to make sure she doesn't steal from him.

I think you're going to have to get two bowls and maybe become a bodyguard for your little man at feeding time!

4. Tsuyama

Tsuyama PetForums Junior

Thank guys, I'll have to try feeding him when she's not looking. They did have 2 bowls originally but Marrin would finish her bowl quickly then wander over and finish off Jake's bowl while he just lay there watching. We don't want her to eat too much so we took one of the bowls away.

Last night I managed to get Jake to eat a portion of pellets out of my hand while Marrin spent the entire time trying to get around my arm to get to them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice